Starting Strength Novice Program

Just curious to see if anyone around the forum have used Rippetoe’s SS Beginner’s program for barbell training, either from personal experience or from other athletes/clients, etc…

I myself have just begun to use this program for a 21 year old female who had about 1 year total of serious previous weight training.

My split I have been using is as follows:

A
Back Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Chin/Pull Up 3xamap
Back Extension 4-5x10 (w/ weight)

B
Back Squat 3x5
Standing Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Trains on a MWF basis, alternating ABA, BAB, ABA, etc… Performs abdominal movements prior to weights, combo of different exercises for about 100-200 reps for now. Warm up reps are usually 2x5 with an empty bar, then 5-3-2, before the work sets begin. Once all 3x5 sets can be completed with the same weight then we add more.

From 8/4 we started with…
Back Squat 3x5x100 (full depth)
Bench Press 3x5x60
Chin Up (used a low plyo box for assistance to “jump”) 14 total reps over 3 sets.
Deadlift 1x5x95 (clean grip)
Standing Press 3x5x45

As of 8/20
Back Squat: 3x5x120
Bench Press: 3x5x75
Chin Up: 25 total reps over 3 sets.
Deadlift: 1x5x145
Standing Press: 3x5x55

She missed 1 session in the first week, so this is over a course of 7 sessions. I highly recommend Practical Programming/Starting Strength if you are dealing with younger athletes, athletes with little experience/new to lifting, etc… So far only a short time in but I’ll keep the results updated every 3-4 weeks to keep track of progress.

Curious to see others opinion of this, the books, program, experience, etc…

I have Rippetoe’s book; basic yet very good.

"So far only a short time in but I’ll keep the results updated every 3-4 weeks to keep track of progress. "

Yes, please keep us updated. I am quite interested, as I intend to do something similar with 17-yr-old girls starting mid-November.

Will do. I think that’s an excellent choice. I wish I would’ve used something like this when I had a group of freshmen kids a year ago.

I have used this setup myself and with a few friends, with great success. You can make linear gains in strength for quite some time as long as you eat enough to recover and don’t try to add a bunch of junk to the program.

One thing I noticed is that you don’t have her doing power cleans, which are typically part of the program. Any particular reason?

She’s not involved in athletics anymore so wasn’t really on top of priority list (however I do believe it can be of benefit to everyone that trains, not just athletes); plus she was just learning how to deadlift and I didn’t want to confuse her too much at first while trying to learn the powerclean as well. I’m planning on teaching that soon as we go along.

SS or PP? I can’t see how anyone thinks SS is basic. There is so much detailed analysis that goes far beyond anything else I’ve read in applicable knowledge. I mean Hatfield’s Powerlifting: A Scientific Approach has a ton of info but none of it caused me to change my lifting; In contrast, SS has me re-examining my form and overall execution, much for the better.

Minor update from yesterday’s session, her back squat is up to 3x5x125. Also chin up reps over 3 sets up to 29 1/2 (using low plyo box for assistance-jump). Still seeing progress which is good!

SS is a great program for any healthy person to get strong. My 17 year old went up to 220 LBS squat 3x5 within a year from an empty 45 pound bar. A pair of weight lifting shoes will be very useful for your trainee.

SS or PP? I can’t see how anyone thinks SS is basic. There is so much detailed analysis that goes far beyond anything else I’ve read in applicable knowledge. I mean Hatfield’s Powerlifting: A Scientific Approach has a ton of info but none of it caused me to change my lifting; In contrast, SS has me re-examining my form and overall execution, much for the better.

PP. It didn’t make me rethink anything but there are many practical concepts I normally use concentrated in that book, that’s why I consider it a very good one.

Back Squat up to 3x5x130 lbs and deadlift up to 5x150 lbs. Her bench is up to 2x5,4,3.5 on the bench with 80 lbs, so I expect her to achieve the 3x5x80 lbs mark within the next week.

Buy some 1.25lb plates so she can make 2.5lb jumps on her pressing exercises. This will make it easier for her to continue to add weight to the bar nearly every workout without missing reps. I bought mine from Piedmont Design Associates.

i am doing 5x5 and i can see in them getting stro high schoolnger the tempo run is easier they say o i am sticking with it i have two pro athele and i coach high school