Sprinting for Weightlifting and Martial Arts

Hi, everyone. As of today, I’m new to this site. I’m a competitive Olympic weightlifter and I also train for martial arts (Jeet Kune Do/MMA). I’m posting because I want to start implementing sprinting into my training, but I have no clue where to start. If someone could give me some advice and point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

James

since you are a weightlifter and martial arts how does the rest of your training look like.

Welcome rockandrollsoul,

Can you explain your goals/objectives you want to reach with sprint training and why?
Is it the objective pure speed, or you want some ‘transfer’ toward JKD and Olys? Do you want metabolic conditioning? etc, etc…

The main reason I want to start sprinting is for metabolic conditioning. I feel I get enough endurance work from JKD skill training/sparring and anymore could be bad for weightlifting, but I feel sprinting would be good GPP for both sports. My secondary reason for sprinting is speed development, though I am already quite fast/explosive in both sports.

My training looks like this:

MONDAY - SNATCH
Snatch, 3-6 lifts above 90%
Clean Pulls, 5 x 3
Front Squat, 4 x 6-8
Single-Leg Back Extension, 4 x 6-8
Dragon Flag, 4 x 6-8
Hip Mobility, 2 x 15

TUESDAY - JKD
JKD Skill Training/Sparring

WEDNESDAY - CLEAN AND JERK
Clean and Jerk, 3-6 lifts above 90%
Jerk Behind Neck, 5 x 3
One-Arm DB Bench, 4 x 6-8
Self-Supported DB Row, 4 x 6-8
Overhead DB Tricep Extension, 4 x 6-8
Rotator Cuff, 2 x 15

THURSDAY - JKD
JKD Skill Training/Sparring

FRIDAY - SQUAT/DEADLIFT
Squat/Deadlift, 3-6 lifts above 90%
Snatch-Grip RDL, 5 x 3
Reverse Lunge (front loaded), 4 x 6-8
Glute-Ham Raise, 4 x 6-8
Cable Woodchop, 4 x 6-8
Ankle Mobility, 2 x 15

SATURDAY - BENCH
Bench, 3-6 lifts above 90%
Pin Press (1-3" above chest), 5 x 3
Snatch-Grip Push Press, 4 x 6-8
Towel Pull-Up, 4 x 6-8
Barbell Curls for the Girls (and elbows), 4 x 6-8
Scapulae, 2 x 15

• 15-20 minutes of shadowboxing every morning

I rotate my max effort lifts every 1-2 weeks. I’ve found little benefit, personally, in the dynamic effort method so I only use it when I’m not feeling up to max effort lifting or on deload weeks. I deload every fourth week, by replacing all ME work w/ DE work and by cutting volume in half.

Hope this info helps.

Since sprinting can hit the CNS like no other, it is very valuable for “general” speed development. Many people overlook this when training for other sports and stick to specific sports related training. The ability to tax the cns through sprint training is probably the most valuable training tool in any athlete’s repetoire.

I agree wholeheartedly. That’s exactly why I want to incorporate sprinting into my program. I’d like to sprint mornings on lifting days. Though I am very agile and fast, I feel like I should start with more of a lower volume program, see how it effects my other training and move from there. So what kind of volume, sets, reps, distance, rest periods, etc. should I use?

Have you had any previous experience with sprinting?

I have sprinted before, but it was in interval fashion. I’m looking for more of a basic sprinting approach.

If you have a chance to purchase the GPP dvd, I would totally recommend doing that! its just great! and filtering through this forum via the search engine provides a TON of information!

also check out this post
http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=357&highlight=running+a%27s

good luck with all of your training!

A basic example of a speed workout would be something like:

8 x 30m with 3-5 minutes rest in between each run. Run at 100%.

A basic example of a tempo workout would be:

8 x 200m with 45 secs - 60 secs between each rep and run @ 75%.

Thanks for the info guys I’ll be on the right track in no time (bad pun).