Sprinting and Weightlifting

I’m just curious as to how much of a drop off in weights you guys experience when you sprint train and lift weight VS just lifting weights. Or do you even experience a drop off at all…

As for myself, when I was into powerlifting and no sprinting (not even tempo) I was around 245 bench and 585 squat. But now that I’m fully into sprinting my squat dropped to 455 and change but my bench went up to 290.

What about you guys?

I’ve noticed that my squat will more or less not budge, where as every other lift will increase at a steady rate. I have found that too much squating can leave a lot of residual fatigue in the legs which compromises my sprint training. This year I’m going to be really conservative with the squatting volume, even if it means 1 set per workout.

how much has your body weight changed?

If you ever get an injury that prevents you from sprinting but not squatting you will probably find that your squat suddenly shoots up to previous levels or even higher. I recently experienced this during a layoff from sprinting caused by an achilles problem. Within weeks of no sprinting, my squat got better than it had previously been after more than one year of pure powerlifting training. I put it down to CNS fatique caused by the sprint training, which is particularly evident if you lift after your high intensity sessions.

BTW: How do you do your squats? There seems to be a huge discrepency between your squat and bench PBs.

Thanks for the input. As far as squats, I do 1/2 normal squats and 1/2 ultra wide powerlifting style squats. I only squat once a week (even in my powerlifting days).

When it comes down to it, it’s genetics as far as the discrepancy. I did all kinds of training (.ie, westside, BB, DC) but my upper body just does not want budge from where it is as naturally trained individual and I don’t care anymore because I know that a 315 bench may not necessarily make me a 10.0 sprinter.

Not much, I’m still at 205lbs but my body composition has changed considerably from the high rep med ball work.

Thanks for the reply.

So you’ve done a raw, powerlifting depth 585 pound squat? At what body weight?

that sounds powerlifting record approaching. Should have some serious speed results from those squat numbers. Thats impressive lower body strength

Yea, no belt, no raps, no nothing but chuck Taylors shoes and Ben Davis work wear clothes.

As far as body weight I was a little bit lighter around 190ish. I IMPROVED my diet even further and that’s when I gained the extra weight. Go figure.

hua yea… It is pretty close now that you brought it up.

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/records/raw/world

As far as sprinting, my rate of force development is the problem I feel. I have been working on that this whole summer. And thanks for the accolades.

thats the site i went by… and those guys have dedicated their entire strength well being into that one lift. I assume you on the other hand only use squats as a speed stimulus, albeit, powerlifting approach.

Also, how much of a “stimulus” do you think those squat numbers effected your speed? Would you be faster getting back up to 585? Most would say no, but?

Well, for 2-3 years I trained like they did (i.e, good mornings, sled dragging).

As far as how my squat effected my speed, I’m afraid I really have no way of measuring how much it impacted my sprinting because I did not train as a TRUE sprinter until months after I hit those numbers.

Also, how much of a “stimulus” do you think those squat numbers effected your speed? Would you be faster getting back up to 585? Most would say no, but?[/QUOTE]

I think being able to squat that much helps a lot. I haven’t sprinted at all since May, all I’ve done is lift weights and from that I gained about 20 pounds of muscle and 50+ pounds to my squat. Tonight I went out to the football stadium today and was still able to run a 4.56 football style 40 yard dash at 220 and I have not done a single speed workout since May. Ran it barefoot on the turf. I know that’s slow but I thought it was decent considering the layoff and the fact that I ran that at the end of tonight’s workout and after 5 sets of bounds and 5 sets of stiff leg bounds.

One of my friend was excellent sprinter with PB over 200m 21.22. However, he hit the plateau for a couple of years. He wanted to quit and he wated to move to bobsleig. He did a lot of strenght work and he improved his strength a lot with gain bodyweight around 10lb. He did only short speed work 20-30m and sometimes longer run. Afrer that he was very surprised with his competition times (still wanted to compete occasionally)over 200m he improved to 20.71! and mainly with weight and acceleration work.