Sprinter's Weightlifting Routine

i put my squat max into the russian squat calculator, and man the 6x5 would be tough as hell. whats ur squat max? was ur running vol low or high.

Please don’t say it’s 500…

Once I get my hands on a camcorder I’ll post video of me squatting.
And I’ll hold up a charliefrancis sign on the video so you know its me :wink:

why u want to post a video i believe that you did the russian squat program :wink:

We use box squats and good mornings, at times and reverse hypers and ham work once a week.

Power clean and snatches from time to time long with front squats.

EMS is applied everyday. Max st program for quads gluts and hams on mon, wed, fri. Hypertrophy and capillarization on alternate days for abs. Plyometric program on mon, wed, fri for calves. All done with the compex sport 400.

Its not tough at all only when it comes to days where you got to do say five reps or four; but because of the low reps there is in fact very little soreness if any.

3x a week is fine if you also us regeneration techniques like EMS, and contrast showers, self-massage and so on. You can modify the program to suit your needs; maxing out in the last session is not really necessary. The program works…but adapt to suit your psychology and others. Maxing out is not really recommended if you are not psyched, and besides you can work out what your max is from other weights lifted.

yeh i totally agree with you i saw that program couple yrs ago and was going to give it a try, the only problem now is i have some squat programs that u only bsq and fsq once a week and ave 30-40lb gain per cycle. im not sure what kind of running ur doing, what do u think about doing that squat program with cf gpp dvd workouts?

I think its an excellent idea because it will compliment the hill work and emphasis on improving the mechanics and intensity of the acceleration phase

How is someone going to do the russian squat cycle + charlie’s gpp running (along with assistance work and ems?)? That is a crushing workload. Don’t tell me that self-massage and ems pulsing will allow me to recover so I can do this…

Listen you must adapt even Charlie’s GPP to suit your needs. Taking Charlie’s trainig methods and using it as a cookie cutter will not suffice. You must take the tenants of Charlie’s GPP and adapt to suit your needs. The assistance work we use replaces some of the weights or alternates with exercises that Charlie recommends, to suit our needs.

You don’t just take what I have outlined above and place it on top of the recommended loads that Charlie outlines, you must adapt to suit your needs. I will tell you what works for us if you don’t like it you don’t have to do it, simple. I can’t speak for you I don’t know how you train but I am telling you what we do; its up to you to assimilate the information and apply to your own circumstances. Thats what Charlie originally did with information gleened from others and applied to his athletes.

i know for a fact u cant do the russian squat program and get any quality running.

what kind of athletes u train and what level? like i ask before plz show me some stats - times etc?

With all due respect, I cringe when I see you post the Russian routine then suggest that doing Charlie’s GPP runs along with it would be a good idea. My concern is that some more novice athletes will read it and NOT adjust it to their needs thereby overtraining or possibly injuring themselves.

I think it’s a great feat that you can do this Russian squat routine along with some assistance work and GPP sprint training. But that is not tolerable for most mortals.

I greatly respect your opinions and appreciate you for helping me in the past (hang cleans routine) but I’m just not feelin you here regarding the integration of the russian squat workout into a sprinters development. I know many people who have great difficulty doing only the russian routine w/o any extras (no running).

do u cycle ur max strength ems and if so how much? i want to incorparate ems 6 days per week mwf strength tthsat recovery, cycling my strength 2 weeks on/2weeks. any ideas?

Like I said you can modify to suit your needs, do not “cookie cut”. You must do a build-up before attempting the program. If you can’t handle it then its going to be even more tougher during the speed phase. The intensities you are working at with the Russian squat cycle are TAME, yet you develop max strength so you should be able to recover. The majority of the loads lifted are in the region of 70-80% with LIMITED REPS OF 2 IN EACH SET!!!. If you can’t recover from such a limited rep squat program then there is a problem. Most max strength training cycles require 75-90%!!! 70-80% with limited REPS is a dream. Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.

Remember; its the reps that cause alot of muscle soreness NOT necessarily the load. So if people are finding it hard to do the session then I suspect that they are probably adding more reps or miscalculating their squat max, you know lying to themselves that they can lift 300 kg or something ridiculous.

Most “Mortals,” (what ever that means… is that a vailed insinuation?) to be frank do not have discipline to adhere to a program. They lie to themselves about their capabilities or take a program and add more.

More on the assist exercises. They are done 1 to 2x a week at 50-60% RM with LIMITED reps of 4 MAX. Not hard.

EMS
The compex machine allows intensities to be adjusted so only level 1 or 2 is used as the other levels are incredibly intense.

Its not a “great feat” if you calculate the intensities correctly and adjust other loads to fit.

7.50m+ long jump, 10.17 secs, 20.55 secs performances.
To be honest can’t see how its gonna help you.

At the moment it used at intensity 1 on all programs during GPP. Once SPP starts we will switch to a similar set-up to the CFTS.

Mon, Wed, Fri: int 1 of compex max st program full without warm-up. glut, ham, quad
Plyometric cycle int 1 calves.

Tues, Thurs: int 1 of compex hypertrophy and capillarization full abdominals. Regenerative massage setting usually for gluts and for any other part of the body that needs it.

Martn,

I agree that the intensities are not as high as some programs. However, it’s the frequency that I find very challenging. I and a few friends of mine have tried this routine in the past and found the 3 squat workouts per week very difficult even with the seemingly manageable intensity%. As the days and weeks when by, I found myself becoming more and more mentally fatigued (CNS drain). There is also some discussion on elitetrack…several people noting similar consequences.

Of course at that time I was a bit younger and working 3rd shift stocking shelves so my recovery may not have been of the highest quality.

EDIT: In the past, I may have attempted the Smolov squat routine instead of this routine which is not as difficult as you’ve said. Maybe that is why big alarms are going off when “Russian Squat Routine” comes up…because I’m still thinking Smolov routine… I apologize.

turst me it did. and thanks for sharing.

Mortac8 its ok, but its good you mentioned the smolov squat routine. There are many reasons to avoid that squat routine.

1/ Too many reps.

2/ You are working at a much higher intensity than is actually stated; because of the adding of 10 kg on top of stated intensities.

3/ There is a high volume of sets being done.

4/ High frequency and density.

5/ Consecutive squat days do not allow for recovery.

6/ Intensity of the days are not differentiated enough.

Stay away from such a routine… no good. You definitely will dig yourself a hole that will take along time to climb out.

The source of the attached image: http://www.fitlike.net/powerlifting/inahurry.
html

The Smolov routine IS NOT THE SAME ROUTINE THAT WE USE!!!