SPP2 Layout

Just a walk back recovery is usually enough, though I leave it to the athletes. The first time they did this they had rigor mortice in the hip flexors and extensors for a couple of days. We arn’t using skips just the A drill at a slow jog pace. Though I have used skips in the past along with the A drill over extended distances. But this group I have now put in more training time over the week than my squad from years ago. The training now is more intensive but a lot less volume than I used back then.

I tend to use a minute for every 10 metres that the athlete is sprinting. This however gets extended as the intensity output increases i.e. as they approach their best times for that distance. If you have a look at the Graphs from the GPP and Vancover DVD’s I tend to follow what Charlie advocates but usually with slightly shorter rests as my group don’t generate the same output that a mid 10 second guy would.

what i meant about the 1.5 minute rest for 30m was for the high knee drills. Sorry about the confusion. For normal runs i also follow the 1 minute for every 10 metres, i also usually add an extra minute just to be safe. Whenit comes to the speed endurance runs, you want a few extra minutes dont you? Arent they harder on the cns to recover from?

Not confused Hawiian, no worries, as I mentioned we just use a walkback recovery on the endurance drills (A’s). If the session has taken a lot out of them they may take a little extra recovery. I don’t mind this one bit as I advocate good control at all times on the A’s. If they start to lose control e.g. posture, hips dropping, I encourage them to curtail the drill, its pointless continuing if control of the postural muscles has been lost. To answer your question re recovery from speed endurance runs. They are taxing on the CNS but not as much as maximum speed work as the intensity is slightly lower, though they usually hurt like hell at the time. If you wish you can send me your e-mail address I will mail you my programme. I don’t think it will fit on the thread as its on exel spreadsheet. You will see there what recoveries I am using.

I saw a graph the other day with specific recoveries for running A’s, I’ll look later and se if I can find it.

Good man, hope to see it.

Found it. :smiley:

It is the 3rd graph of Van 04 titled High Intensity Training for Sports.

In the middle blue section on the far right (70-200m) the bottom bit says
Strength Endurance – 2 reps
(Running high knees, 45sec – 2.5 mins)
4-7 mins recovery between reps.

i just remembered, about just over 2yrs ago, before i stopped running for a yr, i was not doing the A skip, but doing high knee drill. And i got to 200m like cf says, Walking pace. Once i could do that, so many other things felt so much easier.
I must start doing the A drills again, i must.

Thanks John, I’ll have to check to make sure I have that info - I should do.