SPP1 for Ice breaker meet

I can’t find the sheet I was writing those workouts on, but I did GPP for 5 weeks and I remember doing quite a few 3x6x60(10m) and 4x4x60(15m).

I remember doing for speed:

4x10m hill
4x10m ground/push up starts
4x15m hill
2x15m ground/push up starts

Just before SPP I did
4x10m hill
4x10m ground/pushup starts
2x15m hill
2x15m pushup/ground starts
2x20m pushup/ground starts

Details, please,
what happened on Monday Tuesday etc… How many acc, how many other runs. Clear info please we don’t know if 4x10m hill, 4x10m ground/push up starts, 4x15m hill, 2x15m ground/push up starts, was all what you did or there was something else added, find the sheet.

Sometimes out of ease and convenience, a carpenters pencil(square/rectangularish and sawed off 4-6inches length) and a letter envelope(light and rigid when folded), may work best for jotting down fast quick notes for sprint sessions. Then one just has to transfer the ‘quick notes/info’ to their more detailed training log after sprint session.

The pencil is easy to use and the envelope when folded provides a stable light unawkward improvised writing pad, that fits nicely in warmup gear pockets.

Sure, improvisation is great especially when you are multi-eventer why not? or even field/track athlete. Write a workout as it goes, on the other hand bad plan is much better than no plan.

Rest today, good massage this evening.

Went HI today - speed session.

2x10 relaxed standing
blocks:
4x10 - last two timed - 1.86, 1.86
2x20 - 3.20, 3.12
4x25 - (got scared for a sec here but things turned up) - 3.89, 3.76, 3.68, 3.72

I noticed that when I ran the fast times, I was running taller.

Ended on a good note, so I’m back to baseline from last Friday.

Weights:
Squat 5,4
Bench 5,5

I’ve been getting 9 hours of sleep a night, so that probably helped.

Supercompensate over the weekend, then see if I can build on it and improve next week. Thinking about that Monday/Friday speed+weights and Wednesday SE+plyos. I’ll see how I feel though, and judge it recovery-based.

So saturday i took off, yesterday I did active recovery - warm up, 4x100 fast jog, stretch, massage.

Today, Monday, 9/15/14

2x10m block - 1.86, 1.81 -PB
3x20 - 3.20, 3.19, 3.17
3x25 - 3.83, 3.76, 3.77
4x30 - 4.39, 4.32, 4.28, 4.27

Then did 3 x EFE no time, relaxed and focused on form.

Weights:
Bench: 5,5
Squat: 5,5,2

So basically time-wise, is was an OK session. I had good things and bad.

From what I’ve been researching, my 10m time is great - it’s basically around a 10.9 pace. Hit a big PR on that today with 1.81, compared to 1.86 which I was stuck on.
My 20m is OK, it’s around a 10.9-11.2 pace. Ran the 20s a tad bit slower than I’d liked today.
My 25m of 3.68 is equivalent to an 11.2 pace. Was slower today on these. Still within the 5% allowance (i hit about 98% of that today)
My 30m (and this session was my first time doing them during this SPP) of 4.27 is more so equivalent to an 11.6 pace or so.

PRs so far…
10m - 1.81
20m - 3.12
25m - 3.68
30m - 4.27

An obvious dropoff at 25-30m, with the difference being 0.59s. This should dramatically improve over time though once I keep extending the accels. Because 20-25 is faster at the moment, with 0.56, and eventually 25-30 split will be faster than that.
Not too worried about the 30m times at the moment. I improved throughout the reps of the 30m so that’s what mattered.

I still need to drop my 25 and 30m times more though. It would be nice to get around 3.60 by 25m, and under 4.20 by 30m. I definitely feel weak though past 20m, once I start getting tall. Of course, I haven’t done any max velocity yet so I’m not panicking at the moment. Just hoping I can reach those goals soon though. That’s why I did the EFE today, just focused on posture and form. But yeah, from 10-20m I’m on a 10.9 pace, in fact my 10m is excellent like I said, but now I guess it’s just a matter of time of getting a bit more 25m and 30m under my belt and they should get better.

Just crazy to drop off from 10.9-11.2 pace all the way down to 11.6 pace within 10m. Which, isn’t horrible, but I definitely need to work on the 20-30m segment. Which obviously today was my first time doing 30m starts, and though I didn’t run anything scorching other than my 10m PR, I think I got some good exposure. What I mean is, I only got faster with each 30m, and they were still within the 5% intensity dropoff (at about 2% - 4.20 goal time, 4.27 today’s time). So the volume only helped.

I still have to suspect that the 10m PR may have affected the rest of the session a little though. That’s why I moved on after I ran it.

Tempo tomorrow, thinking about 3x3x20 SE split reps for Wednesday + plyos instead of weights. Thoughts???

How exactly do you time your runs?

Freelap. They’re all accurate.

Are you using the touch pad to start the clock? If not, how do you start the clock?

Here are my splits from a race that would have been around 11.0x FAT if a proper starting system had been used. They are all from the exact moment my hands leave the ground at the start, ie equivalent to using a touch pad: 1.77 (10m), 2.90 (20m), 3.44 (25m), 3.95 (30m).

Assuming you used a touch pad, your times roughly correspond to 11.30, 11.88, 11.83 and 11.95.

That is correct. I’m using some stuff from Frank Dick. Basically says 4.0 30m (no reaction time like we’re talking about) is basically equivalent to around 7.0 and 10.9.
Another paper WITH reaction time included, for a 10.90 sprinter it says: 10m - 2.01, 20m - 3.11, 30m - 4.15… 60m - 7.00
Subtract about .15 for reaction time and it’s about 1.86, 2.96, 4.00, 6.85 which would be the marks necessary on a Freelap time. 25m would be about 3.50 so yeah it’s pretty close to what you have.

Anyhow, there is a definite dropoff. So I still need to master 20m and onward.

Tempo today of 1600m, deep stretch. Hip flexors and glutes a bit sore. Going to do some massage, see how I feel tomorrow.

That 10.90 sprinter has relatively weak acceleration and good top speed it seems. Probably doesn’t train short to long. :slight_smile:

You haven’t done any maxv work yet, so it’s not surprising that your times are getting weaker the longer out you go.

Btw: 0.15 reaction time only applies if there are speakers behind the blocks. This is often not the case in smaller races. If the starter is 20m from you and no speakers are used the sound from the gun takes 0.07s to reach your ears (sound travels at 340m/s) thus turning your 0.15s reaction time into 0.22s.

Good info Robin.

So are you saying that I should currently be including some maxv work?
Max V is my strength, if that makes any difference on how I should go about it.

I would start doing some EFE that can progress to FEF and/or some flying sprints with increasing intensity limits. MaxV takes a while to develop, so I wouldn’t wait for too long before commencing that process.

Ah, alright. Yeah I was thinking so myself, so I just did some EFE on Monday’s session because I felt like it made sense. My form feels weak once I start to get tall around 15-20m, which obviously reflects in my times the further out I have been going.

What would you suggest for the volume, progression, and what should the build-up zone be like? Should I be at 10-10-10? Because that’s what I just did and I didn’t get up to a very fast velocity from the way I felt. Should I go with a 20-10-10 then?

Thanks

Went with 1600m tempo again today. Just going to hold off til Friday. Most of the soreness was gone today, was mostly tight in the glutes.
Might take off tomorrow, since I did it last week and it worked out all right. Then do some tempo Saturday to keep the weekly tempo volume over 4,000 total.

Maybe you could start with 15-15-15 and increase by 1m each week. You could also throw in some flying sprints with acceleration zones that are insufficient to get to top speed and increase each week as well.

I was contemplating the latter and I think I will implement that in some way.

Maybe starting with 30m build + 10m fly, then 30 build + 15 fly, 40 + 15, 40 + 20, 50/60 + 20

Something like that. And i’ll take your advice with EFE, though I’m not a fan of 1m each week being a progression (since it’s like half a stride).

Hm… maybe just increase the first zone first, like the flies? 15-15-15, 20-15-15, 25-15-15, 20-20-20?

Not being an elite sprinter , I reach 95% of top speed after about 25m and 100% by 35m, which is why I usually start with a shorter acceleration zone (about 20m) and then gradually increase it to 35m. Anything more than that and it becomes more of a speed endurance session. Increasing the acceleration zone increases intensity only up to the point where you are able to reach 100% of your top speed. Extending the acceleration zone beyond this point doesn’t really help. However, you can increase the flying zone if you want to add an element of speed endurance. I.e. once your acceleration zone is long enough to get you to full speed you can keep it there but gradually lengthen the flying zone.

Increasing your acceleration zone by 5 or more m each week means you’d be at 100% after three or so weeks, which may not be enough time to build the best top speed you are capable of. That’s why I would either use increments of 1-2m every week or increase by 5m every second or third week. Anything is possible, as long as your progression is smooth and gradual.

Deleted duplicate post