SPP help

I am under the impression that S-L and L-S refers to the speed endurance and special endurance part of the program.

With S-L you start with shorter distances and work your way up, whereas with L-S you start out with relatively long special endurance runs (in addition to some accel work) and work your way down in distance from there.

S-L and L-S is not really referring to the total volume of work per week.

The program that the OP posted looks to be S-L, as is Charlie’s one that I used as an example.

Also, even with the example L-S program in the Vancouver download, the total weekly volume starts out high and is reduced as SPP progresses.

I only just realized how old this thread is.

mreoyn, How did the plan work out for you?

Yea this is old… funny to look back on it :smiley:

Hard to say exactly how I did because I didn’t get to run any meets right afterwards or anything. I think I was way too afraid of volume and shouldn’t have run 10 and 20m (as the meat of some workouts) in SPP after going through a GPP phase!

you learn and grow from each training year. going back in time what are some things you would do diff?

Yep, thats for sure. The biggest thing I would have done differently would be to lengthen the sprint reps. You’re only gonna improve your 0-20m time so much and after that what about the other 80% of the race (or 90% if we’re talking about the 2). Since this was in the spring I would have also entered any meets I could since I think beginners, like myself, can get a lot out of meet experience and racing for some SE work.

no changes with ur weights

Probably not the best set up in the world, same shit 3/wk, but not too bad really… it was simple and fairly effective. I think I bumped my 4x4 fsq up by like 15-20lbs during that time period.

i made the same mistake man.

Bump on this question…I’d be interested to know about tempo volumes during the SPP…Currently I’m doing 2000m on a Tuesday and Thursday (big tempo circuit and 200mx10r respectively) and then on the saturday tempo dropping it down to 1600 (CF Big Circuit with just 100’s) making the saturday a slightly easier day.

The higher the level of a sprinter, perhaps the more the activities becomes anti-circulatory and probably at a lower volume at that intensity zone. Therefore, tempo is still needed to a great extent.

Thanks for the reply Nik…What total volume should I aim to do during SPP? Would it be as mentioned before 600m-1500m or was that for a athlete with not much years of training behind them? I was planning on using 2x10x100m twice a week in 17sec 100m pace. Press ups at 15r and sit ups at 50r every other run with a walk back on every rep recovery.Thoughts?

I don’t think there is a serious reason for reducing the tempo volume -I mean, for a training element being used from day one, it shouldn’t cause any negatives to the rest of the training plan (you should have realised it by now). If other issues arise, of course (e.g., niggles getting worse rather than better via tempo from the pounding and the repetitive nature of it), then you can adjust and/or move to a milder activity (while paying attention and fixing that issue). In the post-SPP period and in-season you react based on your highest priorities (e.g., speed, being rested, competitive preparedness). Perhaps then activities such as the ones you describe between runs start having more value, i.e., similar effects to tempo giving more rest on lower body at the same time via a reduced tempo volume as needed.

Great response Nik. Having reduced the pace of the tempo to 18 sec runs leaves me feeling very fresh and not battered. As Charlie always told me the tempo day is low intensity with no real emphasis on speed or technique. The high number of abs (50r)ive prescribed my self at the end of a set are purely done because Im too lazy/tired to do them at the end of a work out.

Whatever suits you; the job is done either way.