spilt 60's rest

Hello CF I am wondering how would you setup the rest times for the spilt 60’s during the 12 week spp phase, since I am only using half the volume do I keep the rest times as is or would I reduce the rest times since I am not as advance and cant stress the system like BJ did?

BUMP, I’m curious about the rest times because they look like alot for a sprinter of my ability?? thanks

Recommend to have a good old search throughout the site: there is a lot of material covering the details of the SPP and also recommendations on how to adjust the details for athletes at different stages of development (pretty sure covering volumes, acceleration distances and rest intervals).

LOL, I have the dvd’s and have look through the site. If you are interested in helping do so otherwise I dont need such comments.

:frowning: Hey wasn’t meant to be a dismissive comment or anything; it was a serious suggestion to have a search. I remember (maybe TC?) and a few others in another thread discussing their variations and applications for different level athletes. I had a quick search for you (to try and post a link for you in the reply) but couldn’t find it prior to having to head out.

As a baseline I would start with the rest intervals that correspond with the intensity limits that the athlete/s are actually accelerating to throughout their intensitification phase. Interpolate/extrapoloate as required for other intensity limits specific to the athletes needs (ie 25+m etc).

what do you mean, are you telling him if he acc to 20m then rest 2min 30m rest 3

As a starting point, for split run speed endurance 60’s, even with a reduced total volume, I’d suggest starting with similar rest intervals to those suggested by Charlie in the example program (for each respective intensity limit). Note though that these intensity limits and rest intervals are for an athlete ultimately capable of accelerating to 60m during the phase. I would then adjust from there depending how the athlete tolerates the sessions, consistency during the reps, loading/unloading cycles, intensification other training stimuli etc. For a lower level athlete who does not continue to intensify through to an intensity limit of 60m, one option could be to spread the progression over smaller intensity level increments (for example: 15m, 20m, 25m etc) and adjust the rests accordingly. As always it depends on the athlete and their specific circumstances. One may need to start with higher rest intervals: with consistency and advancement the priority.

dude seriously how can you use the rest limits that cf have on the graph they are tooo long unless you are a world class sprinter. the int limit thing isnt a big deal and thats why cf told him to leave them. if i was coach and had a sprinter running the 60m indoors i would at least want him to run some full 60’s before entering indoors and if we kept his int limit 40m and less that would never happen.

I have to agree, I really think those rest times are way too much for me esp for the speed endurance runs. I dont think the intensity limit are really a big deal since I only have 2 speed days and only half the volume.

I have answered based on the information requested and level of detail provided (ie how would I allocate rest intervals for split rep special endurance ie 3x4x60m or a reduced volume version) over a 12 week intensification SPP) and recommended to start with the relevant rest intervals cited by Charlie for each relevant intensity limit (ie those which are relevant to the athletes level: maybe only 20+m and 30+m) and to adjust according to the athlete, their tolerance and their specific circumstances.

Re tamfb post: I certainly would want an indoor sprinter running full 60’s prior to competition (completely different issue: not sure what you were getting at) however this normally wouldn’t be done through split rep special endurance (topic of this thread). The split rep (ie X x4x60m) special endurance would normally be tapered out of there as the intensification of the speed work continued.

If he is capable of accelerating beyond a 40m intensity limit (as tamfb suggested above) he is not too lower level sprinter: I’d estimate low 10 if he can continue to accelerate to an intensity limit beyond 40m!

All depends on your level, tolerance and your specific circumstances. Specifcally what rest times are you referring to? (3.5 min for 30+m for 4 reps per set?) You really need to provide details if you want a detailed answer.

With two speed days per week and half the volume you could still have a serious speed program where controlling the intensity limit is very important. The intensity limit becomes less important as the intensity that the athlete is capable of producing decreases.

so if u have a athlete only able to accle out to 20m ur only going allow him to stay 20 and less the whole spp phase, give me a break. since you feel like he need to change his int limit what should there be???

:frowning: Mate I am honestly not sure what you are trying to say or what your question is. Can you please clarify what you are saying/asking with respect to rest intervals for split rep special endurance?

never mind bro its moot point

BUMP does nothing here, just so you know. Sometimes you just need to be patient to get what you need.

Rupert
CharlieFrancis.com

i agree…