Speed Trap Saga

Speed Trap Saga

Just started reading “Speed Trap”, after almost a year of looking for it (apparently its out of print) so the book stores didn’t have it (this is Australia). Then I went online to some website for out of print books and was shocked. They had about five copies of the book, and the prices ranged from $75 - $125! I must have been searching for gold-plated editions. Anywho, I was going to get it from this site, but all you had was the e-book edition and call me old fashioned but I like my books to be made of paper. So I find the book at the public library (where I previously searched but nothing came up), and, as excited as a kid who hears the ice-cream truck coming, I borrow it with a massive goofy smile on my face. And I couldn’t wait to start.

Now I’ve just finished the chapter entitled “Tony, Mark and Angella”. First of all, I’ve got to say the book has way exceeded my expectations so far, it is really great. I love the insights into sprinting in the 70s and the very interesting anecdotes about your (Charlie’s) experiences at the Olympics and with the various associations you were involved with at the time. I like the way you introduce your coaching life through your time as a sprinter and how that helped you coach. Its one of those books I’m afraid to keep reading because with every passing page I know I’m coming closer to the end. I don’t want it to end…lol. Who else has read it? Thoughts? Are there any similar books about the world of sprinting that are this good?

I was really intrigued by the book too, jumper. It was an amazing insight into the world of elite level track for someone who didn’t have much of a clue. Not only informative but spellbinding. I think I read it in one day flat. I was just amazed at how everything was laid on the line. No BS.

I personally haven’t read any other books on the world of sprinting like Speed Trap. If anyone else has read anything close to as interesting and informative, please let us all know!

Running Risks
by Angela Issajenko

The great thing about owning it is you can read it, read it again, and again, and again…

DO NOT steal the book, this will kill any chance of others reading it. Also even mentioning stealing stuff is against the policy of the website. Stealing bad!

Keep an eye out on ebay
one comes up every once in a while
That’s where mine came from

Sorry Rupert.

Great suggestion Herb. A very well written and articulate account from the athlete’s perspective. Charlie should see if he could offer an e-book version here on the web site.

amazon.com

Speed Trap - comprehensively the most entertaining and insightful read ever on track, great humour, high intelligence, well constructed and with ideas cogently argued. kk.

Running Risks was decent. Not even close to as good as Speed Trap but def. worth the read. Its more like the Darker version of speed trap and is Angelas account of what was going on during that time period.

i bought here from the site as an e-book like three days ago.

It blew my mind. If you remember the Kenteris-Thanou scandal in greec olympics, well after reading speed trap (in one day flat) i have a very tedious need to KILL all those god damn IDIOTS ranging from reporters to average soccer fans that happend to watch the olympics to people having NO idea what sprinting is that where shouting their “informed” opinions on chanels.

people should keep their mouts SHUT when they have NO idea of what they are talking about.

though, what i liked most about the book was that almost childlike honesty it had

I read Charlie’s ST book over a decade ago, I was 17, great read definetly worth Charlie’s insight of what happend during that time; but Angela’s book I haven’t read, looking forward to a good read.

I’d love to check out Angella’s book too. Just finished the chapter entitled “the race”, oh man, I’m loving this book even more with every page I flip. I really liked the way you broke down Ben’s start and the entire race and the reat of the field. Anyway, better get back to the “celebration” chapter…

I’d love to check out Angella’s book too. Just finished the chapter entitled “the race”, oh man, I’m loving this book even more with every page I flip. I really liked the way you broke down Ben’s start and the entire race and the reat of the field.

believe it or not i was actually ancious and excited while reading the race chapter:P

thing is the book is old, what happend to ben and charlies relationship after? Are they on speaking or whatever terms?

what where the legal reprecautions etc, im kind of young so i dont know what happend

i could obviously search the net but id rather have an actually informed and unbiased opinion than reporters

epote, do you realise “reporters” you’ve managed to belittle now in each of the two posts you’ve made to this thread actually helped CF put Speed Trap together. Some “unbiased” and “informed” comment would help keep the vibe nice around here. kk

epote, do you realise “reporters” you’ve managed to belittle now in each of the two posts you’ve made to this thread actually helped CF put Speed Trap together. Some “unbiased” and “informed” comment would help keep the vibe nice around here. kk

hm, fair enough.

what i had in mind was “Traitor”, “Cheater”, “everyone is doped except put name of some greek sports hero here” etc.

so indeed mea culpa for making a coming to a rushed concusion, honestly

though that doesnt change the fact that speed trap ends 14 years short:P

Agreed, but then it was written during 1990 post-Dubin Inquiry and old wounds can take time to heal. I’ve urged Charlie on a few occasions to add some updated chapters and re-issue. I suspect if he ever does, it will be as a self-published e-book. His experience more recently coaching Tim & Marion deserves clarification because I believe he has been unfairly criticised in some quarters (by some - not all - of those pesky journos)
kk

Tim & Marion? :eek:

Does it really matter though? He has/would have been criticised anyway; who cares about “some quarters”?

sorry, just came to me… :o

All very good points.