Speed Training/Technical Assessments

I been in the private sector for years but I always wanted to get back into the team setting because I love to grind and love the day 2 day operations. I just don’t have much patience for fat general population clients.

When are you performing your longer speed work - winter or summer?

Both, depending on what I decide to do and what I have to work around.

Meaning, I have historically tested sprints, jumps, throws, and so on- once in the spring and once in the summer. I’ve always seen a benefit of the longer speed work regarding testing the 40.

I didn’t do that this past spring and summer because I wanted to focus on training throughout. The taper period that I have historically used ends up costing a week of developmental training.

So I chose to forgo the testing this time around and, instead, spot check where the guys are by randomly monitoring how they were performing (which is what I do anyway)

I did, however, integrate intensive tempo in the spring and longer extensive tempo this summer so both of those played a role in improving the running position of some of the players.

I also ended up having them perform more alactic capacity work this summer, in comparison to years past; however, I can’t get into the reason on a public forum.

All in all it’s been a fantastic summer of training. I only had one player (scout team) sustain a pull (hamstring) and it was minor as he was back running tempo in a few days.

I hear you on that. I used to work 60 + hours per week. I had 2 partners and 5 corporate wellness programs going. We were probably each making $8000+ per mont just macro managing trainers. I had a lot of private clients as well. Wasn’t a problem to make $2000-$2500 per week. It burned me out though. I like a more chill pace where I can take my time with the athletes. I know you will do well back in the team game. Be looking forward to hearing about it in the near future.