speed squats

hey cf i know how you feel about conver power phase, but im wondering what do you think about speed squats, i think they could have a role in training bc it would reduce lower body stress and allow for better speed workouts?

How could they reduce stress? If they are equally effective, they must equal the demand of slower, heavier squats and carry with them the risk of loosing control. For most people, speed squats cannot equal what they can already generate through controlled squats and are still FAR below the velocity to have any specific benefit. (hamstring moves at up to 22.5mps!)

well the ecc stress and since u r only using 30-60% of ur 1rm it is a lot less then 70-85%.

Is there a point to going so light? couldn’t you get some of the same (maybe better) effect from plyos?

dude, read the post i am just throwing an idea out there. not trying to copy sprinting speeds in the weight room, but think it could be a way to reduce stress bc of the lighter loads bc some athletes cant recover from 2-3 squat workout per week.

just to add, thats why many coaches choose to do bsq one day, fsq or single leg another day, and single leg movement the last day, bc they say its harder for there kids to recovery from squatting 2-3 time a per week and theres zero benefit.

I’ve always felt that spreading all the lifts over three sessions made it easier that a killer session once a week.

hes spreading the lifts:

mon:
heavy pc
stepups
bp

wed:
hang cleans
bsq
incline

fri:
snatch
lunges
bp

We don’t do as many leg exercises during the max strength phase. Ben, for example, only did BSQ 3x/wk, with lunge walkovers in the warm-up (1 x 20m) each day, so no stress there. How wedded are you to the step ups in a max str period? How high are these step ups? I’m assuming the knee is kept below parallel.

u did bsq 3x/wk, thats tough shit. his stepups are not heavy and the lunges may be 4x5 or 6x6. i dont count the pc and snatch as pure lower body movements.