Speed and Power Conference in Toronto / Derek Evely gives Ange an Interview

[b]Derek Evely was the development coach for several Canadian Champions and is currently coaching the Canadian Hammer 2014 Commonwealth Games gold medal winner Sultana Frizell. Derek is a volunteer coach, interested in educating coaches and sharing his knowledge and experience with training methodologies.

Derek currently lives in Pinantan Lake British Columbia Canada, and finances his passion to coach athletes through his participation at conferences for speed and power sports.

When Derek is not working he and his wife Jody are raising 3 young children under the age of 10.

I asked Derek to answer a few questions I had regarding his career as a coach. He quickly got back to me and here is what he said. Thank you to Derek Evely for this brief interview.[/b]

List three personality traits that lend themselves to making you an effective coach?

I recognize three traits within myself that have always been an asset in my coaching:

1. A creative personality that is not afraid to experiment and explore.

2. An obsessive nature that is always watching for and assessing patterns and reactions, along with an unwillingness to compromise when it comes to athlete preparation.

3.The ability to filter out non-essential pieces of information and act upon only what is relevant to my athletes’ progress. At times this “filtering out” includes people…

[SIZE=3]Share with us the two of your favorite ideas you are always trying to get your athletes to understand?[/SIZE]

That training is a long-term process, and with a rational, systematic and consistent approach to training one can adapt quickly, regularly and effectively to a given training program and therefore expect long term and consistent growth. Included in this is the idea that your health and the ability to recover are the crucial elements that enable this to happen.
I am in this to be successful, and to that end I am prepared to make the requisite sacrifices in order to succeed, despite operating in this less-than-ideal sporting environment we call Canadian Athletics. Therefore if they are not prepared to set up their lives accordingly and make the equivalent sacrifices then I have no interest in working with them.

What one piece of advice would you like to offer other less experienced and less successful coaches who might be just starting out?

Develop a system of training that your environment complements. To do this, you must study and explore various methodologies and systems of training and shape one of your own that makes sense to you. Deal in facts and look for proof; just because something exists in text does not mean it has been proven to be effective in training or competition.
If working with young athletes, understand that being specific and specializing are not the same thing. You can be specific (and successful) with young, developing athletes without maximally exploiting all of their abilities prematurely. If they are talented, look down the road to what they may be doing under the guidance of a quality HP coach and then prepare them for this accordingly… this is a coaching skill that is so often undervalued (and under-practiced) in our sport. Check your ego and do the right thing.

Do you spend any time teaching your athletes a tools or a skills that you feel might not be paramount for their careers as athletes but essential to living well post athletics?

This is a very hard question to answer! I think the secret to coaching athletes successfully is similar to what it takes to properly raise children: provide the right environment for them, give them the tools they need to succeed and then get the hell out of their way. So in that sense, I simply try to provide a place where they can grow and be successful and if I have done my job right they should be bulletproofed for the real world and able to excel because they can think and act for themselves. There was a time in my career when I did not fully understand this and therefore tried hard to make everything happen for everyone through sheer white-knuckling effort. But I think I am a little wiser now and have learned that mindful education and guidance in key places and at key moments can go a long way in helping an athlete learn to drive their own success and accomplishments, both during their active competitive career and post-competing.

Final question? Do you want to share with us two or three goals you have as a coach either personally or professionally? I think who you are as a person has a great deal to do with your short and longer term success in all things and sharing your goals with us helps others understand where your priorities are.

More than anything right now I am trying to maintain an effective environment for my athletes to train in despite some pretty big obstacles like weather, support, dealing with bureaucracy, etc.… and along with this give my wife and three young children the attention they need and deserve. Not an easy task because as we know, coaching and a deep commitment to athlete development can become all consuming. As your late husband once said: “you are your own support system in this country” and so the demands for me in terms of being a father and a volunteer HP coach with 3 talented women under my charge is, at times, colossal. However, I take this responsibility very seriously and therefore I have learned to be selective and resourceful in how I have created our training environment and I think I have made the negatives actually work for us. I have learned things that I may not have learned in a more dependent setting. And while I believe in the value of working in a team atmosphere with strong leadership such as I experienced in the UK, I treasure the autonomy I am currently enjoying… I like swimming alone.

Thanks for the opportunity to share, Ange. Charlie was there for me when I asked him to share and I will always remember him for that.

( Derek, I think Charlie would be proud of people like yourself that are not afraid to ally themselves with his life’s work. The history of www.charliefrancis.com was created to teach others like yourself the essential components to coaching successfully. Congratulations on all of your accomplishments up to this point and I wish you success in what you choose for your future both professionally and personally as a husband and father. You are juggling a great deal… THank you for taking the time with us Derek. best, Ange)

Thanks for sharing this Great Interview.

RE: “mindful education and guidance in key places and at key moments”

A Coach/Parent/Mentor is never off the Clock and always finds ways to make time to be available for his/her ppl.
Getting out of the person’s way to let them learn/flow during an activity is one thing and correcting one thing at a time is powerful

as well as the Kitchen Table talks at dinner/debrief (A lost art for many)

Explain why things are done/context
What was worked and what did you learn
problems with a situation or three that you’ve tried everything you could think of…giving him/her a few solutions they can try by themselves at the next practice…being brief about it (Med. eff. dose for talks as well lol)
Answering any questions and so on and so on.
I learn a lot from the talks as well b/c i keep my answers brief. I give ppl examples with about 5-6 lessons in them but I don’t explain the lessons just yet…this allows them to explore and come up with things in my example that I would not have come up with on my own by projecting, etc.

In addition, at bedtime for him, he brings over my pillow to his bed and says…Dad, what is my lesson tonight.
This is about anything…solar power, star wars, Lighting, temperament, breathing, etc.
He is advancing very fast as far as figuring things out for himself.

Love these types of Interviews…Keep it going!
These types of interviews give me energy.

Pfaff was working with a number of athletes years ago about 30 min. from my home. What a fool I was for not making time to go there and learn. I was in Stockton 2-3 days a week back then as well. Stupid me.
**i was interrupted a few times so my apologies if I need to edit a lot lol

came across this on Twitter via DrBradDeweese

Balance,
have you met Brad? Someone was telling me he posted this on twitter. I had a nice visit with him a few summers ago and need to speak to him again. Thanks for sharing that with us.

I just saw Brad a few days ago at the USC clinic. You can contact him via Twitter at @DrBradDeWeese

Best,
Christopher

I have not but I am hopeful that we will cross paths in the near future. He is always giving credit to Charlie Francis as well as one can tell by hit Twitter feed.

He also mentions CF as a mentor at minute 59:00 here>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb44DdyEUeo&list=UURmml_xOFz59ZLpZBT759yA

That’s very good presentation.
Thanks a lot mate, much appreciated.

Don’t want to be greedy, but do you have any more materials of similar quality please.

once again, thank you.

kind regards
wermouth

And what does Mr. DeWeese day at 1:01:40?

Thanks Christopher.

Hi Angela!
Thank you for the kind words and I appreciate Chris for letting me know of this thread. I apologize for not being active on this site as I should be…definitely the launching pad for myself and others. Charlie was an amazing man that was far ahead of his time. Even more impressive is that he gave all of this away for free in hopes of creating better coaches.

My hope is that I live up to his good deeds by paying it forward through proper coaching and teaching the future generation of coaches about his works.

Let’s try and catch up this week if you have time,
Warm regards,
Brad

Amen. A sentiment I hope many of my colleagues today understand!

I’ll post them when I come across them. I hope everyone else does as well. Just as long as they are meant to be at shared at No Cost.

Ange just had one done as well…It was free for a day but I’m not sure about that anymore but maybe she can chime in about it.

A lot of great free content avail. nowadays is through podcasts, etc. as you probably know already.

Meanwhile more CF ref.

Rob Wolf - Link is not working so I provided the Cached Version
http://robbwolf.com/2014/11/19/are-you-recovering-or-resting/
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:iLdEUIwbVs8J:robbwolf.com/2014/11/19/are-you-recovering-or-resting/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

http://rugbystrengthcoach.com/build-speed-strength-power-for-rugby-high-low-training/

Thinking more about the Art of Coaching that CF wrote about in my own life.

My son who has ADHD is really difficult to Coach b/c his Attention is easy to lose if one talks too much or bores him. Some may have read how I brought him along in many sports over the years namely Batting/Baseball in another thread.
It was NOT easy at all. In fact, I failed him as a Coach at times but the Caring Person/Dad would NEVER ever quit on him and so I kept trying to figure out what will work for him until I found HIS Formula. He led me.

Don’t get me wrong now—he is a great teammate, never gives up, has a very positive attitude, etc. Character is Caught (and taught to some extent).
Once he is locked in to a task however…he is FOCUSED!

Speed Trap.

Brad,
No need to apologize for expanding your world. Especially when you are now sharing this new world with us and our online readers.
I appreciate your acknowledgement that www.charliefrancis.com and the forums has been a launch point for yourself and others.
Your gratitude demonstrates your own success in your field.
It will be great to connect soon.
Best,
Ange

No one answered because everyone is too busy squatting. :wink:
Brad is paying attention however.
… We don’t have to squat every day… but we don’t want to get too far away from doing speed work… ( I have paraphrased Dr. Brad’s words )
This is the essence behind what everyone in SPEED AND POWER sports needs to learn. It’s one general rule, idea, principle we as coaches, trainers, educators want to push out and into the minds of all…