Specificity of training stimulus

I think you guys are using the wrong units. You need to use cm and kg, and age is not factored into the equation.

What’s that got to do with you breaking 12sec or not?
We were talking about acceleration, so I don’t know how your comment is contributing to the discussion.

Ikh, It wouldn’t be 1k for Dwain for obvious reason, its not a vertical test that we all know.

Isn’t the power test supposed to be related to moving weight in general with the highest speed possible, whether that’s the object or your own body weight.

I have got this test from big Don he’s been using with all guys around the world such as Reese Hoffa (141kg/76cm) or Koji Murofushi (102kg/104)

So, this is how it is.
If you guys like it that’s great if not, that’s great.

Rainy has a point. The ability to deploy high power consistently throughout a race will lead to a faster overall time given similarity in other parameters.
Velocity = power/force, therefore the higher the level of power occurring the greater the velocity and hence the faster an object moves.
Intuitively this can be understood to benefit the overall 100m time as well as acceleration in the following way :
A good starter applying massive power during the acceleration phase whose output drops massively after say 40m could well be overtaken by a slow starter with an average higher level of power.

Mathematically speaking, given 2 athletes each running a race with 50 strides.
Athlete A applies great output at the beginning but then declines - delivering x units of output over the 50 strides.
Athlete B delivers a lower starting level but sustains it - delivering 1.05x units of power over the 50 strides.
> Athlete B produces an average output that is 5% greater and is therefore 5% faster.

I am of course ignoring real world aspects of technique.

The other interesting point mathematically speaking is the difficulty in measuring power output for sprinters is the very short time in which power is delivered (contact time).
Power = work/time. Note that time is the divider in this equation. Therefore a very small difference in ground contact times will lead to significantly different values of power. Contrast this with other real world calculations such as my car goes from 0-60mph in 4 secs where the time divider is larger and easier to measure more accurately.

For the reasons you mentioned Oldbloke is why jump tests have yet to correlate with the worlds elite in sprinting. The kinematic differences are too vast, in addition to what I already mentioned regarding jump tests not being particularly strong indicators of power due to the lack of time dependence (unless some type of accurate force plate or accelerometer is being used to measure the jump).

Never the less, the simplest means of assessing progress in the sprints is timing them, and in a vertically integrated approach sprinting (of some sort) is always occurring so problem solved.

The sprints are the key performance indicator by which all other preparatory actions must be measured. Thus, regardless of what sort of approach a coach/sprinter takes to preparing for sprint development, all of them without exception, and necessarily, must utilize time trials (for the respective sprint quality being trained) as the one and only barometer.

In the context of sprint preparation, it’s entirely uncontroversial to state that it matters not how high/far you jump or how much weight you lift if your sprint times are not improving.

In the context of sprint preparation, it’s entirely uncontroversial to state that it matters not how high/far you jump or how much weight you lift if your sprint times are not improving.

Well said
Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

First of all we ware talking about acceleration.
Ok
What’s the firing order while performing acceleration? (I am talking here about initial steps/10m) gluts, ham, quad (vastus lateralis and vastus medialis), gastrocnemius. Guess what, order of firing muscles during vertical jump is exactly the same. In the initial moment of V-jump gluts and hams are dominating muscles as soon as knee angle is about 100/110 degrees quad has a dominant drive in the action of jumping, sound familiar? (kinesiology of sprint start, maybe)
As the runner’s body position is changing the order of firing is changing and the origin of power production too. The main change is that quad is not responsible for power production any more and have a stabilizing function. Elastic properties taking over from muscular contraction.

There are pretty good papers written in journal of applied kinesiology and NSIA (I think one of them was done in Finish institute of sport) where electromyography was done on sprinter, they were looking at muscles involvement during acceleration, The other one was on the Volleyball players, whether you like it or not ORDER OF FIRING WAS EXACTLY THE SAME.

Power is extremely important, we all know that, there is strong correlation between VJ and sprint start.
Maybe VJ doesn’t contribute as much to overall result over 100m, the truth is that the further you go the less explosive you have to be to be successful.

Just like the CF said: There is a difference between what you can go and what you have to go"
Simply: Athlete A can apply 1.15x unit of output but knows that to win the race 1.1x unit of output is more than enough.

I understand the difficulty, in my opinion, I like to have an indicators whether that’s a squat, V-jump, bounding whatever or throw OHB/ BLF (Actually Aries Merritt has been testing his readiness this way)
I would say it this way, if something works for you and you have the ability to interpret the results that’s good for you.

All good information Wermouth, however, most important is to be able to correlate the fastest starters times and what preparatory elements are related to those times. So even regarding the first 10m, Ben Johnson has one of the fastest splits (1.83 with a .132 reaction) and in his case we know that he did zero jumps and zero Olympic lifts in his preparation. No jumps due to patella tendon issues and no Olympic weightlifting due to a lack of proficiency.

Maurice Green also has a 1.83 split (with a .132 reaction), however, I know he did some Olympic lifting in his preparation though I’m not certain to what extent jumps played a role.

Point being, while we know the kinematic similarity between explosive take-off jumps and block starts is similar (which is why explosive take-off jumps from comparable knee angles to a block start are excellent specialized exercises) the relevance can only be measured by demonstrating an improvement in block clearance/initial acceleration to the exclusion of other preparatory elements.

Any endeavor to strive for improved jump metrics must, necessarily, be justified by an already demonstrated transfer to improved start/acceleration qualities. The interesting thing here, as already mentioned, is that one of the fastest starters in history didn’t even perform jumps or weightlifts. From this, the coaching world ‘should’ learn that the irrefutable most important element of preparation to optimize is the programming of the track work itself; only after which can other discussion have merit.