Sparq equipment.

Ok 1st of all I love Nike. I ran in there shoes(tailwinds) thru my competitive years (nfl camp and olympic development travel squad. So the question is why do they have such crappy and non-usefull equipment. I recently recieved a eastbay magazine and I was looking at turf/training shoes. They have a whole page dedicated to sparq. Lets see, the sparq carlisle box (he’s on the 49er staff by the way), the parachutes, the agility ladder. I know someone put a post up about the box but seriously, a speed box! Come on! I tried the parachutes and trust me it took me about 20-30 meters to get them going! Please dont get me started on the ladder. I know charlie and the rest of the experts on the forum blasted it. So my question to everyone is why would a company that makes good clothes(dri-fit) and shoes(tailwinds, turf shoes) do something stupid like that? Oh and I met some so-called certified sparq trainers. Some where ok, some where stupid! Please chime in I’d love to hear your opinion.

Really?

But yes, most of that stuff is crap. I know a couple guys who use (and like) the sparq timing device though.

Because they are tapping into a market that they know is present and ready to throw away money in the pursuit of speed development for their kids. The same goes for coaches without much useful training knowledge and their athletes.

Most parents and many coaches (at times one in the same) can’t discern between a good program and a bad one and come to the belief that it must be gadgets and gimmicks that produce results. Nike knows that people are going to spend money on the gadgets so why not take their cut out of that that market that is so willing to spend their money.

The parent or coach not knowing any better sees fancy gadgets, pulleys etc. and they can’t see what knowledge or experience another coach might possess so they go with they can see- fancy toys.

Thank you Pioneer for your input. Its funny you say that cause in the area there are some fancy gyms and well equiped high schools with limitless budgets and fancy toys. I see high school and college kids go to these places expecting the best of the best training. I went there myself just to work out and try out these places. I knew something was wrong when their members (mostly high school and college athletes) were asking questions and then asked to train with me cause there so-called speed expert didnt get them faster and they have never seen the type of training I was doing(trust me it was nothing fancy). They proceed to tell me how much money they have spent on gadgets and trainers to no avail.

Pioneer hit the nail on the head. Nike is just looking for ways to make money. It used to be you trained to get better for a sport, now training itself is supposed to be the sport.

ladders are a fast way to teach motorskills, they won’t make you fast.

parachutes are for sports where you need stability, football, basketball

Nike make money by the tonne.

Yea i have to agree with Pioneer, but tell me why nike is cutting back relations with small sports companies. Its not as if they pay the small companies fee’s, so I’m at a lose if the only time nike is dealing with them is to make or ship something to the company which pays for shipping, etc.???

No problem-good topic to bring up.

Thank you. I know some people from under armour and I guess they did a study on performance wear (dri-fit, performance wick type stuff) and I guess they on a scale from 1 to 10 under armour got a 9, nike got a 7 1/2 to 8(pending on clothing) adidas got a 6 1/2 to 7. I cant remember the rest of the group she told me. Besides under armours trainers are much better than nike’s trainers!

Highlander
Nike makes crap stuff because they can ( for now) get away with it. Over time they have afforded themselves a fantastic reputation for quality in flats and gear. Probably imo they might not want to mess with stuff they know little about.
Ask yourself did this strategy work for the auto industry over the long run?
Gimmicks will always be shortcuts and most of you reading this don’t believe in shorts cuts or you would not be on in this forum.

Thanks Angela for your input! Everything that the members are pointing out is nothing but total sense and the truth!