South Africa's new CEO

ASA appoints new CEO
December 14 2011 at 02:07pm

THE INCOMPETENT AND PREVIOUSLY CORRUPT ATHLETICS SOUTH AFRICA HAS A NEW CEO AFTER 10 MONTHS WITHOUT ONE IN THE AFTERMATH OF THE “CASTER SEMENYA AFFAIR”. USA ATHLETICS HAS NOT HAD A CEO FOR THE PAST 15 MONTHS! kk…

Frik Vermaak was named CEO of Athletics SA (ASA) on Wednesday after holding off 25 other candidates for the post.

“Frik fulfilled all the criteria we were looking for,” said ASA president James Evans.

"We needed someone with strong management skills, an ability to make decisions and not get bogged down in politics.

“And, importantly, we needed someone to be in the office to put procedures and policies into place.”

The national athletics federation decided in August to appoint a CEO after issues surfaced regarding Hendrick Ramaala’s position at the ASA head office in Houghton.

Ramaala, an elite marathon runner, was running the office despite sitting on the federation’s board.

The matter nearly spiralled out of control, with Evans threatening to throw in the towel less than two weeks after he took office.

This was the latest in a spate of controversies dogging ASA over the last decade, with the federation hitting bottom after it was suspended by the SA Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (Sascoc) in November 2009.

The federation was later reinstated, but the entire board was replaced, with Evans taking over from former president Leonard Chuene.

Chuene was fired in February and barred from holding a position with any sporting code under the jurisdiction of Sascoc for seven years.

“This past year has been trying for the office as the board has had to physically run the office,” Evans said.

"That is not the task of the board, but rather of a CEO.

“Frik has managed both small and big companies, has a banking background and therefore will understand finances and corporate governance.”

Evans said ASA considered it a “bonus” that Vermaak had a background in athletics.

“He has coached, he has been a commentator of the sport for almost 20 years and he has even managed teams internationally,” Evans said.

“So his knowledge of the sport is tremendous.”

Vermaak, 53, said he faced a stiff challenge in running the embattled federation which was still trying to find its feet.

“I need to focus on the administration of the office,” Vermaak said.

“It is quite clear the sport needs finances and that is something I really need to get my teeth into.”

Vermaak signed a five-year contract with ASA and the federation said he would take office on January 9. – Sapa

Why is that for USA Athletics?

THIS GUY’S BIGGEST PROBLEM IS THE FACT HE IS WHITE AND THE ANC-LED STH AFRICAN GOVERNMENT IS NOT HAPPY ABOUT YET ANOTHER WHITE HEADING AN INTERNATIONAL SPORT. THE NEW PRESIDENT IS ALSO WHITE AND ALMOST QUIT RECENTLY DUE TO THE REVERSE RACIST ISSUES. BUT AT THE MOMENT THEY ARE BOTH EXCELLENT APPOINTMENTS AND THE BEST AVAILABLE. VERMAAK UNDERSTANDS ATHLETICS AND HE UNDERSTANDS MONEY… GOOD LUCK TO ASA.

Vermaak up for ASA role

20/12/2011 | Ramatsiyi Moholoa | The Sowetan newspaper online

NEW Athletics South Africa chief executive officer Frik Vermaak is excited at the challenge of turning around a sport that has been characterised by divisions and negative publicity recently.

FRESH IDEAS: New ASA chief executive Frik Vermaak
Vermaak said his first priority is to change the image of ASA, which will go a long way in helping them acquire sponsorship for their activities.

The former bank executive is no stranger to athletics.

“I have been involved in athletics for a long time and was one of the people who served in the first local organising committee of the Soweto Marathon more than 20 years ago,” Vermaak said.

"Our sport has deteriorated and I felt I needed to apply for the position when it was advertised. Something told me ‘go in there and contribute to the success of athletics’.

"I’m not a politician, so I will leave all the political decisions in the hands of the politicians, as in the board of ASA.

"I will be dealing with administrative matters. We have to lay a solid foundation there so that all our activities will be a roaring success.

“My job is to reposition athletics and its brand, we want companies to queue once more to sponsor athletics activities, be it track and field, cross-country as well as road running. Athletics will once more be a successful sport if we do things the right way. I will be pushing that we instill an attitude of compliance.”

ASA deputy president Motlatsi Keikabile is also impressed by the enthusiasm displayed by their new head administrator during the interviews.

“We have to support Frik as the athletics family, he will do well for athletics. He has some brilliant ideas that he presented to the sport, including on issues of sponsorship,” he said.

“Frik told us we need to instill confidence in the business so that the corporate world will come back. We won’t be successful if we do not get more companies coming to sponsor us.”