Some advice for a young sprinter needed

Hi all,

I am a new member and parent of a young sprinter.
He is now an U20 (17) in the UK

At under 17 (16) he ran 10.75 and 21.75 with very little specific training or plan.
Got second place at English schools in the 200m
Got second place at the Schools International 2 weeks after in 200m
(we didnt even know the events existed until told wed got the times to enter)

He played Football (soccer) until April 23 and so I only let him speed train 2 -3 times a week
very low volume and let the football take care of the lactic stuff.
We did 3/4 x 30m flys with 30m run in and very little start practice. ( the racing was the longer stuff 100 and 200m)
It was his first real season trying athletics although ive kept him involved from being 13 because id noticed some natural speed in him (I had it too)

He raced fairly regular and would generally do a double the 100m followed by a 200m.
I would then make him miss the next speed day as I put emphasis on recovering.
this made him get progressively faster until July

This winter from September 23 Ive slowly been building his squat strength and upper body also carried on with minimum flys a couple of times a week and tried to get to grips with block starts. Sometimes the track was like an ice rink so its not been easy to train. (we travel an hour to the track and he doesnt live full time with me so its not easy but I want him to get on) (next winter im going to make him a member of Sheffield EIS so he can train easier in cold climate and we can do his weights straight after instead of on a seperate day)

He has run indoor a couple of times and got 6.99 first run out but I have not tried to taper etc and just kept squatting / improving overall strength. I feel he should be 6.8x rested.
But indoors wasn`t a priority I wanted to build his strength and he has 2 more years to have a crack at the U20 titles.

I dont want to do too much with him but in the same respect I dont want to hold him back. I think he is well capable of 10.50 in summer if we run more 100m than 200`s like he did last season.
I am trying to learn as much as I can watching Charlies videos and getting info online.

So my question is about planning training for him. I am happy this season to do more or less what we did last season.
But at 18yo from September I would like to have some sort of progressive plan for him and i`m slightly lost at the moment.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Check weights for speed products charlie goes in detail on how to structure a “long term” plan for a sprinter (strength wise)

1 Like

1 Like

Good work supporting and coaching your young and growing and talented son.

I will need to take a close look at SPP in Vancouver video and the progressions you are asking about.

Remember, plans are a guide.
What does your son respond best to?
Where and or what are the training gaps for him?
Are you or have you been capitalizing on where you see him able to “get the most” from his training. ( for example, my speed endurance was not nearly as good as my speed, so guess what? We used more speed work, carefully albeit, to progress my tolerance and we made sure when I did SE, I could get as much as possible from doing it. Ideally, SE is routinely done. Ideally… Not all situations are ideal and sometimes your approach needs to change according to how your son is doing)

1 Like

Thank you for the reply Angela,

Sorry to reply in 2 different places.

It would be nice to find the Short to long SPP graph so I can visualize it.
I`ve bought most of the ebooks.

My son did very low volume all season in training last year, we never went further than 60m to produce the 10.75 and 21.75 in July - (luck that he ran those times when he did)
It was mostly 3/4x60m 2-3 times a week 5/7 mins rest and always with the wind.
(just kept it even no ups and downs but now we need to be able to be ready for specific days so I`m on a massive learning curve)

After racing we always took the next training day off so would get 4 days recovery from 100/200m double.
Racing was the only time we went above 60m.
Matthew seems to hold his speed very well - I have seen him be 3-4 meters down at 50m and runs better accelerators down.

I am always careful not to do too much with him and let him recover when needed. I`m just trying to establish the principles in my mind. Usually the visual graph help me more.

This is the information I`m looking for that another member mentions. Just to get an idea of how things tick along.

Blockquote

Actually, Charlie doesn’t get into workout details (progression of rest periods) in the SPP download. The s-l graph for Vanc04 has this information (the full progression through the phase, including rest periods and accel limits), but the SE workout in Vanc04 is 3X4X60.

Blockquote

If you really want to do 4X6X60 rather than 3X4X60, you’d have to ask Charlie about the rest periods/progression. Keep in mind, that’s ~1500m HI in ONE workout.

understood

1 Like

It would be much appreciated if i could get a copy of the illustration for short to long from the Vanc04 video.

Short 2 Long, Phase 1, Speed Progression graph from Vanc04

The video is not high enough resolution to read it.
I bought all the concepts books hoping it would be in one of them.
And from reading other memebers comments it seems to explain how things work.

Im happy to pay for the slide/illustration if it still exists.

Thank you
David

Did you buy the Vancouver Seminar?

I am posting this because I want people to see how things change.
Charlie NEVER planned on paper anything. Crazy right?
He did have a plan in his head and he knew exactly how he was going to do things but things also change.
Post 1988, he retroactively drew out what he did on paper.
This plan is a good example of a template and you can see how he changed a few things.
One of the best things I have learned from him is less is almost always more.
If you can learn to listen to your body and teach your athletes to learn this, it’s a skill or rather a tool for life.
Work sneaks up on you and there is a delayed response from speed work. First you feel high and on top of the world but when the fatigue rolls in you have to be prepared to regenerate and be active about it and make the adjustments needed.

No