Smelling Salts.

Any of you ever used or though about using smelling salts (ammonia capsules) immediatly before you race or jumped? Powerlifters use them frequently. I feel asleep alot of the time right before I get to the line and I am thinking about using this tactic. Thoughts?

What is the purpose? Never heard of this… Care to elaborate Quik?

By smelling them, it wakes you up. (Similar to the feeling when one eats really hot horse-radish/wasabi)

if it benefits you then go for it.take all you can get to make you perform better

Exactly what quark said.
Its like throwing a bucket of cold water over your head, or getting smacked in the face, etc.
Wakes you up, GETS YOU GOING. READY TO ROCK AND ROLL.

C’mon man, you’re smarter than that, not the magic pill solution…Get 8-9 hrs. sound sleep for 3 continuous nights before a race, clean up diet, high glycemic foods early in the day may drop your blood sugar later before the race., Traveling to the races, long car rides may also contribute to lack if Quikness… If you practice in the afternoon and race in the mornings then your not accustomed to the time difference, that requires max speed in the AM, so naturally you may feel a bit sluggish. Also, AM racers have much less calories in them for energy. Just some thoughts…

You are right.

“Traveling to the races, long car rides may also contribute to lack if Quikness.”
Well I can’t change that.

“If you practice in the afternoon and race in the mornings then your not accustomed to the time difference”
Cant change that either. But even with PM meets I get that feeling after my first race.

“Also, AM racers have much less calories in them for energy”
I believe you hit it right there!
I take in liquid nutrition since I have no appetite in the AM or anytime before I compete.
I know I am never gettign enough and my blood sugar gets low. I eat little snacks whenever I can and eat jolly ranchers which seem to help.

However I still feel that the quick pick me up of smelling salts can be what I am missing.

I was thinking about doing the same thing Quik…nice to see someone thinking like me.
Its all about that edge in the race. Things that no amount of sleep or through the week or changes in diet can give you. I’m going to try it and I’ll tell you my thoughts and feelings.

Nice!!
I can find where to purchase them anywhere.
The only place I found is on powerlifting websites. I guess that is what I will have to do. You know of anywhere else?
Let me know what you think when you try it.

Try the chemist Quik. My dad has a little bottle of the stuff at home…I doubt he went to a Bodybuilding place for that! :smiley:

May try it before 300m runs/sessions to see if it helps. I’ll keep you informed.