slow first 200m of season

Good stuff, consistant, hopefully it will continue, you are being rewarded for your perseverance, sometimes it just takes a while. You can be doing the right training but the results don’t always happen straight off, patience is the key.

This is inspiring to see!

I was just reviewing this thread and was going to contact you to see how things turned out. Better late than never I sometimes think but then I noticed you came back… Great job and thanks also to RB34 who was very helpful back in 2009 and Track007 also and a few others that I am sure inspired you to hang in.
It is very cool that you were able to add to this thread again and tell everyone what is going on with your progress.

Did you get my email?

Training is going well the only issue is we do alot of hard sprinting maybe 3/4 times a week and I really cannot sprint that much in a week I feel beat up. So I back off a bit on the workouts and maybe go 90/95% and it has seemed to help. Still trying to find the best technique to run my 200 meter. So far I go out hard for 50 meters relax for 40 meters then pick it up as I come off of the curve. Still not sure if this is the best technique for I always come back from behind and still have alot of energy left after the race but it has been working so far.

There’s good advice from CF on the site about how to run the 200, try a search. I advocate coming out of the blocks fast but not quite as agressive as in the 100m in order to prolong the acceleration a bit. Its a case of maintenance after that, no sudden surges off the bend (injury risk) focus on arm action up the straight.

Re the training, you can still advance speed by running sub max, and it will keep you fresh.

I think Charlie advice to me what use a 30m intensity limit - come out for 30m then ride it out. This works great for early season 200m races.

Ver

Very few people can successfully make 3 full and proper speed sessions work per week. One speed session is not enough. The fact that you already understand that your body is not able to handle 3 to 4 is a good thing. Means your output is enough to have a tough time repeating. Remember to find alternative ways to achieve similar goals.
Going out hard? When I hear that language it makes me think you might be doing something opposite to what you need to do. The essence of speed and sprinting is not ever hard. All you are trying to do is execute what you are doing in practice ( which sounds like it’s going well btw). And picking it up… RB made the point that smooth is very important , staying relaxed and if you perceive gear changing there is too much thinking going on. I am really not so sure you are " doing" anything wrong. Sometimes things just take time and all the pieces come together. I am not so sure this advice I am giving you is overly helpful but when I hear someone " trying " to do a bunch of things instead of just going out and repeating their training I think it’s reasonable to mention it.

RB? Are you speaking to me? And if so , no I have not received any email. I don’t think my pm works for some reason.
Please send it to info and will contact you directly.
Best,
Ange

I will do a search thanks for the information. Well I made some adjustments to running the 200m because I always have been told go 100% to 150m then try and maintain after that. Yeah that doesnt work last year I went from first place to eighth place between 150m and 200m using that method haha.

It sure doesn’t. :slight_smile:

I like having my athletes accel pretty much all out (if they are capable of doing this without tensing up), but around 30m stop the accel and hold their current speed until they start coming off the bend. As they are coming off the bend, I want them to smoothly transition to full out, then try to hold form and cadence the last 60m or so. You can always look at Ato Boldon’s instructional video on how to run the 200m on youtube.

I FINALLY listened to Charlie’s advice last year at my final indoor 200m race, and took .50 off my indoor 200 PB. Get the Corner Running download and watch it 20 times. Everything felt sooo easy when I followed the model!

I only ran one outdoor 200 last year, and ran it the exact same way. I kicked all my old-man rivals asses even though they have way more raw speed than me by running it EXACTLY as Charlie advises.

http://shop.charliefrancis.com/products/south-africa-series-practical-session-4-corner-running

Are you thinking of heading to a meet where you’re sure to get really good conditions? Or so you live near a bunch of fast tracks?

So I did a search and found the thread on how charlie says to keep head down and tilted to the left and to not come up until the straight away and to step over on the curve. What does step over and down mean in form of running? So I would need to smoothly accelerate to 40-50 then just maintain? Im going to try this and see what happens it alot different then what I have been doing. As far as track meets I should be running one every other week or so. Some of the tracks are fast.

If you get the download, you’ll see. It helps a LOT in terms of understanding it.

Thanks tslow based on what ive found I need to make some adjustments to my 200m race approach I will check it out.

Step-over means to have the foot of your trail leg “step over” something that might be under it. The foot of the trail leg should come through around the height of the support knee. Step-over and down: once the foot has stepped over, it gets put back down on the track. :slight_smile:

Well ran in an allcomers meet and did ok. The track is really slow and very soft but managed a 21.74. Some of the guys said the timing was messed up and the times were faster but who knows lol. I had a horrible start and came off the curve in 6th but managed to get 3rd place. Video is below lane 4.

My 100m was 10.89 -1.0 winner was aaron armstrong 10.59. I think on a better track I should be at least 2/3 tenths faster we will see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPuq2zkkY38

Well after that last run I completely fell off the next week and ran 11.16 and 22.1. I actually got to line up next to ivory williams which was neat and he completed blew me away at the start he ran 10.6. My coach says its due to not lifting and hitting PRs so I rested for one week with only light track/block work and ran again today. I posted a 10.92 and because some events were cut we ended up running the 200m right after the 100 meter and I ran 21.92 both with zero wind. I was still a bit winded from the 100m but was satisfied with both times on this track. For some reason I rarely see anyone break 10.5 on that track and when people see their times they always get mad haha. There is one more local meet and then I am going to search for some other meets with fast tracks.

well finished the last allcomers meet last week with a 21.60 run which is the fastest I have run at this track. I will have to do a bit of traveling now to find other meets and hopefully can put down some good times.

Well I am back to training so far I am steadily progressing still have a lot of work to do. I should open up in a couple weeks for my first 60 meters. Based on practice times it looks like I can dip under 7 seconds we will see!