skeleton push and training

Hey guys here is another skeleton start thread!! This time with a few pics. Couple of issues are arising here,
1)the number one issue is how can one maximize power/ force production in this position? and does this in turn have implications for training as many of these pics demonstarte there is a lack of ROM in the start. Should these athletes alter their training in any way to be more specific to this type of body position? Are there any types of excersises that would be more conducive to the development of power/speed in this position. We are looking at a sport where acceleration is the key to sucess at the start.

From a teachnical standpoint we obviously would want to concentrate on lengthening stride length. BUT what about the angles of the sled in relation to the body as well as the angle of the athletes back.

We see 2 examples the first has the sled closer to the body yet still out in front his back is also much more straight than the second. The second photo the girl has the sled far out infront and her back rounded. Finaly there is a comparison photo of a track start out of the blocks.

Any ideas on either the athletic development/traning needed or the technical aspect of the push would be awsome.

I’ve been having some problems with the push start as well. I run track and field and have a 30m sprint faster then most guys on are national team. But I havent been able to transfer it over onto the ice. I’m wondering if i’m missing some key technical point or what not.

skeleton start is much more techinical, and less decisive than bobsled start…the 1 hand position gives you the advantage of the free moving arm, more natural…however it is still an akward position…

eroszag, yes you are correct I agree it seems the 1 handed does allow for a more “natural” feel to running but what would you think the key technical aspects of it are?

try to make a search for a bobsled thread, there has been a long debate on skeleton start some months ago…

I did the thread I found did not really discuss angels much mostly debated the us eof 1 handed or 2 handed approach to pushing. Unless there is a new one I have missed it is old news.

NumberTwo or any other skeleton/bobsleigh people out there - How do you manage the single competitive season?

Do you plan for a small peak in the summer time and a larger peak in the winter? or do you just take more time off in the off-season and devote more of your time towards building other fitness components.

I come from a track and field background where I am used to an indoor and outdoor season rather than one really long season.

Depends on a multidude of things.

1. If you are an athlete who needs to qualify through team trials you get ready for team trials, and not worry a whole lot about the rest of your season, cause well… your competeitive season could be pretty short!

2. if you are a wc athlete who is pretty much assured that you will qualify through team trials or are pre-selected to the team then you focus on your competeitive season and plan for world champs.

You generaly have a pretty long break in between end of season and training again. Keep in mind your competeive season can end Jan. and you would keep training untill march. Hence the long break.

keep your head down

Lighter training during the season full on training during off season no matter what level your at, we need to evolve the sport