skating being.. flat footed?

I have a strange question…I’d like to buy some roller skates, to play street hockey and so on…but…I have a problem…my feet are a bit flat, and everytime I skated on ice, I colud resist just 5 minutes in row…my feet hurt!!
I heard that skating is not suitable for flat footed guys…but I hope that, with plantars and strength exercises, i caN OVERCOME the problem,…any of you has the same problem?

I’m not even flat footed and I still get really sore arches when I put on ice skates or roller skates. Even when I wear cleats, I get sore feet and it doesn’t subside until a couple of weeks into the season when I’m used to it.

You may want to consider buying a pair of arch supports, I think you may be able to get them from the local pharmacist although I do not know if this is the cheapest place to get them.

Thanks, hope to solve the problem

Because of the very rigid bottom of the skate your foot is forced to conform to boot instead of a running shoe conforming to your foot. We used to call it hockey foot. Most times you just tolerate it and over time it goes away. Some skates now are heat moldable. You place the skates in a special oven with your feet inside for 20 minutes or so and the boot molds to your foot. Might help.

I am on skates year round and my feet do the same thing as yours, it feels like I am standing on bar and it kills my arches. When playing a game it disipates quickly because I’m on my skates for warm-up then I sit and rest. When coaching it takes longer because I am standing for the entire time. Once my feet kind of relax into the skate they are fine. Maybe try to get to the rink early, get your pants, shin guards, and skates on and walk around until they get sore, then sit and rest, and do this until they “settle in”. Heat molding won’t affect the footbed. My foot has been like this before and after heat molded boots.

aand so…I have to feel the pain if I want to skate…

Different skates may help, but the problem being it’s expensive to experiment. Different manufacturers may fit you differently or even different skates in their line. Skates are pitched differently. That is, the heel height in relation to the front of the boot varies. This may change the way they feel on your foot as well, I don’t know. For example, Bauer Vapor Series and Graf 705s have a raised heel which lends itself to a very aggressive, forward lean while Bauer Supreme Series are flatter and most other skates fall somewhere in the middle. I don’t know if this will help, it’s hard to have comfortable feet with the super stiff skates of today. Mission and Nike make skates that are a little more comfortable they claim as well.

Tour hockey skates have very little break-in time.

JohnRov, you’re right, heat molding won’t change the footbed. My thoughts where to correct any pronation or supination by fitting the skate to a neutral talus as this may alleviate any mid and forefoot problems.

Good point, I didn’t think of that. You’d have to have someone who knew what they were doing to evaluate your foot I’d imagine. Problem being most of the guys working in pro shops aren’t that qualified.

JohnRov, right on about the pro shop guys. I had my skates fitted by a CCM rep. What a difference.

Trying different skates may work, but may I suggest some custom-made orthotics; with any over the counter arch supports, you are just taking your chances with fit. I have made many orthotics for hockey players and skaters (professional and amateur), and they have immediate relief with them in their skates!

Orthotics!!