Single leg Strength lifts

I agree wholeheartedly, duxx, but you also must be careful so as to not create a “strength coach cocktail”, which I think by your explanation you have no problem with.

duxx-

How often are you rotating your assistance exercises? My issue with rotating stuff too often is the body’s reluctance to adapt to a stimulus it does’nt experience often enough. Louie likes to rotate ME lifts weekly (or close to weekly) to prevent CNS fatigue. I’m not sure this practice gives the organism the best opportunity to improve. In addition, how do you become proficent at an exercise unless the exercise is practiced on a regular basis. I would think that rotating exercises every 4-6 weeks might be optimal. Thoughts?

Bob Tomlinson

one reason why louie and those guys rotate exercises so often bc those guys are lifting huge loads most of use are not lifting those kind of loads, if i were to rotate i probably would every 4-8weeks.

As I said, you may not agree with me on this one… :slight_smile:
I would rather kick-out agility work (cone drills, agility ladder) and increase single leg work, plyometric work (decceleration and reactive ability, single/double leg, linear/lateral/rotational) and develop agility by tag games or something… but that’s just me :slight_smile:

I believe that Dave Tate wrote one article when he described rotation cycles for different exercises…
Bob, I am with you on this one… But as utfootbal4 stated, they rotate ME lifts because they lift huge amount of weight, and as you put it to avoid overtraining…
But, actually, what we are forgeting is that they (Westside) usually rotate exercises as a form of PROGRESSION (3plate press, 2plate press, 1plate press, press, pin pull, pull…)! With the kids I work with, I rotate assistance exercises as a form of progression, like: split squat, lunge, lunge walk…
I was thinkinh on 2-4wks, 3 being the solution for me for this kids (begginers)… Later I may reduce the frequency of changes for the reasons you outlined!
I have just returned from gym practice and they gave me two teams to lead… 20players in a gym with one power rack… what I did? I gave them theoretical training… I talked about goals, bodybuilding stuff/(sh*t) poisoned their mid, myths and realities… :slight_smile: Now they are familiar what to expect… next time they come in group of 5!

ok u lost me how are spilt squat > lunge > lunge walk a form of progression?? to me a form of progression would be db lunge walk > bar lunges > overhead lunges, something alone those lines.

I may have missed this elsewhere, do you not rotate at all? How do you typically provide variation in your programs? For instance in the squat. Do you simply adjust loading parameters or do you make qualitative changes as well?

Bob Tomlinson

He has a journal here that he’s been keeping for a while. Mostly vol/intensity adjustments it seems, but he can probably answer you better.

davan is correct, my only varation is in my loading.

If you have athltes who cannot do a quality lunge, I “found”, that teaching them a split squat first works wonders :slight_smile:
Your progression can be used too

Is that variation or cycling? Is there any difference?

what I found is that doing heavy squats my vastus lateralis tended to overactivate, One of the reasons why I like single leg lifts are that they tend to work my Vmo alot better

if u do deep fsq and bsq ur vmo will be hit hard core

Correct and single leg work - may not always fire the VMO

I have to disagree with the deep squat for Vmo recruitment, Emg studies show that there is a poorer Vm:Vl ratio at bottom of the squat

i use the steep chase bar to let my free leg dangle and squat to the bottom, works wonders. (that bar before they go into the pool)

4 set of 20 each leg…1 1/2 min recovery…

becareful stepping down, its a rude wakeup call

ciao a tutti…

god bless america…