shortening stride length

i actually 3 step to easily and need some advice on how to shorten my stride so i am not getting so close to the hurdles. i try to focus on it, but my natural stride length is to long, and i need to take quicker shorter strides. any advice on doing this?

How tall are you?

Do you have any pictures or videos of yourself that show where your foot lands in relation to your body while sprinting?

2 step em! :smiley:

ha ya 2 step…
i am 6 foot tall. i don’t think i have any pics or videos of me running, but my foot lands right under my body. i have very good sprint mechanics, but i just need to fit my stride into the limited space. i try to take off about 6.5-7 feet away from the hurdle, but i start to get closer, and closer until i have to jump a little higher to make it over. i think i need to just take a shorter 3rd step, but it is hard to shorten my stride.

If you watch a lot of tall hurdlers they shuffle between the hurdles. I know Stanislavs Olijars actively practices this technique.

Practice on hurdles brought in close (1-2 steps or even more) to work on improving this rhythm in practice with restricted stride length.

Also consider moving to 7 strides to hurdle 1.

i’m finally to a point where 5 stepping is too crowded and uncomfortable for me. i’m learning to 3 step but it’s still a stretch. since you said you take off around 6.5-7 feet from a hurdle, i’m going to try taking off farther, see if it makes 3 stepping any easier.

Sorry buddy but i dont have the tech’s info you need but its called cut steping. I also know that if some one watching from the front cant see your sins then your not doing it right, but as to how to get there and the things needed i dont know but you can start by looking for cut steping in your searches. I know there are hurdle books out there just go and find them. i.e. at the library, if your cheap.

Watch Daryn Robles on you tube (plenty of them) and he’s one of the best in shortening the stride or ‘cut stepping’. The rotation of the leg (leg recovery) is less, knee lift is less. So you can try to learn that by using smaller hurdles and bringing it closer. But you need to be a fast sprinter and a tall hurdler to have the need to do that to the extent the elite hurdlers do. So i am assuming that you are just overstridinig between the hurdles and probably need to fix it in flat sprinting.

killermony - What’s your time in the flat 100.

No your problem is speed, and runnig strength. take off distance usually is in direct corlation to height.

Hey take a look at this to get an idea of what we are talking about. http://youtu.be/L8KhviWKOk4