Shanghai Golden Grand Prix

Without a major title under his belt and even at his level and potential, I would take one thing at a time.

200 m is after 100 m, but in order to even be in a position to go for it, perhaps you need to go back to Charlie’s point.

Ben did 2 x 200 in 19.5 first motion ht in training, which should have given him around 20.00 or maybe slightly under but the reality is no-one wanted to see him run it ad he’d take a big financial hit in any meet he ran it in, so it was reserved for recovery situations. (His best was 20.29A.)

Also remember that X-man tripped on the wet track during the heats and didn’t make the US team. Assuming that everyone who “should” get to Beijing actually gets there, Asafa would face Gay, Spearmon, Bolt, and Carter and he would need to beat two of those just to get any kind of medal.

Given those odds and what Charlie’s said in the past, wouldn’t it make more sense for Asafa to concentrate on 60 indoors/ 100 outdoors?

Interesting so it seems the fastest 100m guys historically have missed the 200m because of finance rather then performance. This does suggest that MJ 19.32 is a lot faster than people think, as the fastest sprinters have raced more frequently in 100m and by passed the 200.

Thoughts?

They also haven’t trained for the speed endurance needed for the 200. You don’t need to be in sub 9.9 shape to be able to run the WR in the 200m, theoretically (obviously impossible to really see in practice since they ran the 200 and not the 100). The acceleration and top speed needed is significantly less, but you must maintain that speed for a long period of time (well over half the race).

That is kind of what interests me about Gay’s training. It appears like it would benefit 200m more but it is also very good for 100m. Whether it is ultimatley good enough for a WR over the 100m we will see.

Gay would need to improve the first 30m to set a new WR. All things even & with both men at there peak. I believe Asafa should beat Gay 9 times out of 10, albeit by small margins.

Maybe Carter injured his knee jumping on cars. (The roof may not cave in evenly)

The injury he had was exaggerated according to many folks who saw him up at ETSU during the summer…

lmao!

its street plyometrics! does anyone know whats happening about that?

btw it wont let me go onto the forums for some reason. i can go onto the most recent thread, but when i click on the actual forum it says operation aborted in a pop up thing and just doesnt work. please help!