Serial pest Neil Horan Defrocked by Catholic Church

BBC Report

A Roman Catholic priest known for his disrupting stunts at international sporting events has been defrocked. :smiley:

Neil Horan, 57, from Nunhead, south London, will no longer be able to call himself Father after he was removed from the priesthood.

He was told of the decision at a meeting with the Archbishop of Southwark on Thursday.

He disrupted the men’s marathon at the Athens Olympics and ran onto the track at the Silverstone Grand Prix in 2003.

In Athens he tackled front running Vanderlei de Lima and pushed him off the road. A Greek rescued the little Brazilian and freed him to continue to the finish line where he won the bronze medal.

Mr Horan, who was dressed in his now customary brown kilt, Irish green waistcoat and green beret said he was stunned by the news.

" I now cannot preach, I cannot give out communion - I am little more than a pagan

“I completely reject this decision,” he said. "I appeal to the much higher court of heaven and the court of Jesus Christ.

“I now cannot preach, I cannot give out communion - I am little more than a pagan.”

Earlier Mr Horan arrived at the Archbishop’s House armed with press releases and a mini tape recorder.

Before going into the meeting he performed an Irish jig and preached the importance of the bible.

After running on to the track at Silverstone he was jailed for two months.

He was cleared last October of charges of indecency against a seven-year-old girl in 1991.

Mr Horan has not worked in a church for the last 10 years, saying he was on sabbatical and citing health reasons including depression.

Monsignor Richard Moth, Vicar General of the Southwark diocese, said: “We will continue to have a concern for Neil’s wellbeing.”