self message?

I sprint at the high school level, and i am nearing the end of my 2 year of track (4rth season). We do the hi and low intensity alternating days (speed and tempo) lift on the speed days, do plyos, abs, and etc.

Its painfully obvious that getting a message even one day a week would increase my potention, but my question is should I do self message as i have been doing almost every other day, or is it adding to my overall volume (musclularly taxing) too much and should i cut it, or reduce the amount i do (only end of the week)?

I run a 12 flat 100meter (FAT), and a 24.6 200meter (FAT). I weigh 150lbs, and my predicted 1-rep max is squat-310, bench-200, and power clean-220.

I can’t imagine that the self massage is so vigorous that it’s going to overtrain you. There are practical limits as to how much force you can use for self-massage. If it’s working for you, keep it up unless you really feel worn out by it. And even then, it’s probably better to just cut back rather than drop it all together.

One thing that I find makes self massage much less taxing is to use lotion. The reduced friction from the lotion dramatically reduces the amount of effort you need to exert. Get a little Biotone pump bottle and keep it in your gym back.

If you have access, use a foam roller. The hardest part about that is holding yourself up.

I agree get a foam roller 3 foot by 6" they are no more than $20 www.performbetter.com You will notice significant improvemnet. Good Luck!

[QUOTE=Slogan120]. . . Its painfully obvious that getting a message even one day a week would increase my potention, but my question is should I do self message as i have been doing almost every other day, or is it adding to my overall volume (musclularly taxing) too much and should i cut it, or reduce the amount i do (only end of the week)?
QUOTE]

Perhaps we could all write to you if that would help. :smiley:

In case i wasn’t using the foam rollers (btw how good are they?) and only using my hands, could my message produce lactic acid (workout) maybe to vigorious? ill post my procedure so you guys can get a better idea, and analysis it a bit.

First ill show you when i message myself, and then ill show you the two variations of messages i do. General example.

Speed days (hi intensity)
1.the workout
2.Eat
3.Message #1
4.Eat
5.Relax (ice inflammed spots) then bed

Tempo days (lo intensity)

1. the workout
  2. Eat (usually more food)
  3. Message #2
  4. Eat
  5. Relax (ice again if needed) then bed

the first message (the one post-workout speed day) is a deeper message and the 2nd message isnt deep.

Message #1
1.Friction (to warm muscles)
2.Hard rubbing (isn’t vigirous)
3.Shake out (shake muscle(s))

Message #2

1. Friction
  2. Easy rubbing (if any)
  3. Shake out

Critiques?

buy a massage stick, they are great