Scholarship + training in the USA, how ?

Hi Charlie and others,

I hope I post this in the right place…

I started sprinting 3 years ago, my pb’s are 6,97 ; 10,76 and 21,80 legal wind. I still have a lot of work to do and at the moment I am training to get my start right. In a few weeks I start competing indoors and my target is 6,85. I know i can do this, my start is getting better and better and my strength is also improving.

On the other hand, I am a last year student, I study chemical engineering. And i absolutely have NO clue about what I am going to do next year. If I am going to work, I won’t have much time to do some great workouts, so I’m checking out some masteryear school programs.

But, I’ve heard stories about a guy who went studying in the USA for one year, he got a place there in a university BECAUSE he was a good sporter. There he could combine a high level of training with a high degree masteryear. So this is what I want to check out.

The reason why I post this here is because I don’t know about the system and I would like to know more, so if any of you can tell me where I can find some information on how I can do it, and maybe where or what ? Maybe here are some guys who has some experience with this? Maybe some coaches that are on this forum have some ‘students’ in their training group and know more about it ?

Thanks for reading, and if someone can help me, i would really appreciate the effort :slight_smile:

By “masteryear” I assume you mean a master’s degree attained in a 5th year of college (after you’ve receive an undergraduate degree)?

You could e-mail various college coaches at programs you are interested to see if they are looking for athletes at your level. Your times are pretty good, but it will still be difficult to get a full ride scholarship (100% of expenses covered) for track because there aren’t a lot of scholarships available and you have to be able to score points for them in a few events. If you’re only going to be there one year (that’s what it sounds like you are talking about), they also going to have less of an incentive to give you a scholarship at your level since they aren’t “investing” in much.

I think a lot of people (mostly outside of the US) get the wrong idea that anybody can just get a scholarship for track and go to school for free–if only it were that easy! What kind of academic programs are you interested in? I think knowing that will help people direct you to possible schools that you could look into.

Knowing your age is important too.

Hey thanks for the info Davan. Sorry if it sounded like ‘going to college for free’ cause it wasn’t supposed like that. I didn’t even knew that it was possible to get a ‘full ride scholarship’. That’s also one of the reasons I posted here, because I have absolutely no idea about how it works.

By “masteryear” I assume you mean a master’s degree attained in a 5th year of college (after you’ve receive an undergraduate degree)?

Undergraduate, graduate…there is no 1-1 correlation between the ‘titles’ we have here in belgium. It is actually a bit more then undergruate, chemical engineering is educated in 4 years.

Grtz, and i am trying to find out how i can explain in the most honoust way what ‘type’ of education i’ve got, it isn’t clear to me right now

Oh Charlie, I am 21 years of age…

What degrees do you have past high school?

There are a lot of Europeans, Asians, and people from South America in my school and they make it work, so I don’t think you would have an issue at most schools.

I guess they do not teach American history at your school as many Americans during our nations history were immigrants or new to the country at one time and “made it work”. What you wrote does not read well…

Are you dumb or did you just not read the post? I am talking about making it in a graduate program at a major university when coming from a foreign university. I know many people from various continents that have done it, though it can be difficult because of the big difference.

Hi Davan and others,

I searched a bit and i learned a lot at the Pittsburg University website. With the ‘titles’ that aren’t sorted out, but by checking the education program i think i can start a graduate program in there. Graduate in chemical engineering.
So now i know what i can do, but i can’t find information about how you can combine this kind of education courses with track and field.
I know that all of the american universities have their teams and they compete against each other. But how is training organised in relation to the school ? I mean…when is training planned ? Are there special rules for people who are in the university’s team ? Is the sport and school seperated or are they well integrated (and how ?)

Thanks in advance mates…
cheers

I read what you have written and some of your posts in the past on this forum that have wasted my time. I try to follow CF’s posts ( someone with credibility) and you always seem to be there.

I try not be critical of younger people, and give them some rope to learn on their own, but you seem to be a person who needs a little guidance in life.

I do not know you, and understand that written word is difficult to interpret sometimes, but you come across as an immature person with alot of time to spend in front of the computer and a chip on his shoulder. Lighten up. My point was that it read like " an ugly American" comment. Let’s not kid ourselves about graduate degrees as well, sure they are difficult, but for any person with persistence and drive to complete the program they will do it. The hardest part about most schools in getting in. Language does not seem to be an issue here, which may be where you were going with your comment.

Now at 19 or 20 yrs old, are you in graduate school? If so, pretty good.
If not, what position do you have to be authority to write about completing it or even getting in at this point? I know the answer, you read it on the internet… Hey young brother, here is a recommendation, Do something in life and then come back in ten years and give people your opinion. Your word does not contribute much now.

I apologize to anyone else who reads this, but I have read this “experts” posts for a few months now and I had to comment.

Charlie

Am I in graduate school? No, I am in undergrad at a very good university and I know many people that have gone through the process to get into graduate school. I know many people in top graduate schools right now and talk to them daily–I work at one in fact. EDIT: I have also taken 4 courses at the graduate school, does that count for you?

Now, I want you to explain to me what sounded like an ugly American.

Here was the exchange:

Frednik: It isn’t clear to me what level of education/what’s right for me/etc. because we have a different education program.

Me: There are lots of foreigners in my school and they make it work–you should be fine.

Now explain to me, Charlie, where I was being an ugly American, rude to frednik, or giving him bad advice?

So now i know what i can do, but i can’t find information about how you can combine this kind of education courses with track and field.
I know that all of the american universities have their teams and they compete against each other. But how is training organised in relation to the school ? I mean…when is training planned ? Are there special rules for people who are in the university’s team ? Is the sport and school seperated or are they well integrated (and how ?)
Go to their “athletics” or “sports” section on the site and look for the men’s track program. There is usually a link to a recruiting questionnaire, but if you cannot find it, you can simply e-mail one of the coaches.

Of course, pure academics and sport are separated, but there is some leeway. Athletes tend to get first choice for their class selections (especially time slots) to help arrange their classes around practice and meet times, along with a lot of other assistance.

The time you train varies, but it will generally be sometime in the afternoon, after most people have had their classes.

Now, I want you to explain to me what sounded like an ugly American.

Here was the exchange:

Frednik: It isn’t clear to me what level of education/what’s right for me/etc. because we have a different education program.

Me: There are lots of foreigners in my school and they make it work–you should be fine.

Now explain to me, Charlie, where I was being an ugly American, rude to frednik, or giving him bad advice?[/QUOTE]

Davan, your quote was specific to " Europeans, Asians, and people from South America", not foreigners. although that is what you seem to have intended to write. That is where I thought you were being “ugly” and the “and they make it work–you should be fine” came off as condescending as well.

I apologize if I am coming off as being that critical of you, please just read your posts once before you hit submit.

Mentoring younger Americans and being mentored by my superiors has been my life in the Army for the last 20 years.

It is 515 am in Hawaii and I have to head to work. Aloha, Charlie

So what u are saying is, it’s hard to get inside a graduate university, why ?
But if I can succeed the recruitment with my athletic skills, that’s a way to get it ?

Am I right ? Pleas correct me if I’m wrong.

Thanks

FRED: getting into grad school (at least, a good grad school) is hard for everyone. It is hard because there are few spots and many applicants and a strict selection process–simple as that.

Now, you can probably get in without athletics, but athletics will help you quite a bit and, in some places, it may get you some money for your level in track. Money as in, scholarship or grant money of some kind. Also, athletics can sometimes help you get into a place you may not otherwise get into, though I doubt that happens as much in grad school as undergrad.

You may want to take a look at this thread, which has some discussion on colleges and engineering programs:
http://charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=17194&highlight=boise

Again, I would check out various engineering programs and e-mail the track coaches at those schools (some good D1s that can give scholarships include Georgia Tech, Cal-Berkeley, and Virginia Tech).

CJENKS:Are you telling me they are not foreigners or specifying people from those 3 continents (I didn’t specify all since I don’t personally know more than 1 African in our grad schools) is somehow different than saying foreigners in general? Condescending? Make it work as in they get it done and completed. You either do or you don’t and they do make it work and get it done, hence why I said that. If you’re holding a grudge over the fat loss thread, get over it or address it in PMs, not in Fred’s thread.