Sanya loves Paris (France)

Richards looks ahead to Paris - IAAF Golden League
Wednesday 20 June 2007
USA’s Sanya Richards, one of the ten IAAF Golden League Jackpot event winners from last Friday’s opening meeting in Oslo (15 June) looks forward to continuing her $1 Million quest over 400m at the Meeting Gaz de France Paris Saint-Denis on 6 July, and repeating her victory from last year.

“I love competing in Paris,” confirms Richards. “I have always enjoyed French culture and studied the language in school. I love the fact that the stadium is always full and I try to reach out to the fans with the little French I know.”

“I remember there being perfect conditions in the stadium for a fast race…Il fait beau. The fans were amazing and cheered for all the events. I was able to speak to the fans in a post race interview and they were very receptive. Les spectateurs est très fantastique!

“I was very happy to win in Paris (last year). It was my first meet back after the US Nationals and I wanted to run a fast race. I ran sub-50 but knew I could do better and promised myself to have a better performance there this year.”

“I want to run sub-49 as many times as I can this year. With good conditions I feel that Paris will be a great race to run my third 48 second race.”

You will run against Novlene Williams, the 25-year-old Jamaican (who was third behind Richards at last year’s IAAF World Cup in Athens, and has a PB of 49.53 - 2006), what do you think about her?

“I think Novlene is very talented. She ran three sub-50 races last year and proved to be very consistent. I think she will continue to get better and hopefully we will both push each other to fast times. I have not raced her since last year but I look forward to racing her in Paris.”

“I plan to run in all the Golden League meetings as well as (the other IAAF World Athletics Tour meetings) in London, Sheffield, Stockholm and at the IAAF World Athletic Final (in Stuttgart). I may also run in Asia to close out my season. My only goal for the World Championships is to win the gold medal in the 400m and the 4x400m relay. I have no time goals, I only want the win.”

Noémie Morin for the IAAF