Rumour: Saddam Hussein Captured Or Killed - But Who Gets The $25m Bounty?

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST - AT 10.44AM DEC 14, 2003 !
(- OF COURSE IF IT TURNS OUT TO BE FALSE, YOU CAN FORGET YOU SAW IT HERE AT ALL ! )

KIRKUK, Iraq, Dec 14 AP/AFP - A rumour that SaddamHussein was captured or killed near his hometown ofTikrit sent hundreds of exultant people into the streetsof this northern Iraqi city today.
They fired in the air in celebration and congratulatedeach other.
In Baghdad, a spokeswoman for the US-led occupationnotified reporters that a very important''announcement will be made at a news conference but did not say who would be the speaker. The spokeswoman requested anonymity. Iran's state news agency IRNA said today that SaddamHussein had been captured in his northern Iraqi hometown of Tikrit, citing Iraqi Kurdish leader Jalal Talabani. The agency gave no further details. In Saddam's hometown of Tikrit, rumours that theformer dictator was in custody were making the rounds,but reporters attached to the 4th Infantry Division, theUS unit in charge of security in the area, said therewas no unusual activity there overnight or early today. We are celebrating like it’s a wedding,’’ saidMustapha Sheriff, a resident of Kirkuk. We are finallyrid of that criminal.'' This is the joy of a lifetime,’’ said AliAl-Bashiri, another Kirkuk resident. ``I am speaking onbehalf of all the people that suffered under his rule.’’
Saddam, who ruled Iraq for 23 years until his ousterin April, has been a fugitive since then with a $US25million bounty on his head.
Rumours about Saddam’s capture or death periodicallysurface, and a hotline set up by the occupation authorities for tips on his whereabouts is flooded withcallers.

NEWS UPDATE 11:19AM AS FOLLOWS…

TEHRAN, Dec 14 AP - Former Iraqi dictator SaddamHussein has been detained in Iraq, Iran’s official newsagency reported today. The report was confirmed by amember of the Iraqi Governing Council.
Saddam Hussein was arrested in his hometown ofTikrit,'' the Islamic Republic News Agency quoted IraqiKurdish leader Jalal Talabani as saying. The IRNA reportsaid Saddam was arrested in his hometown of Tikrit. Talabani also said the US occupation forces haveconfirmed the report. Americans have said that the arrest will beofficially announced in the next few hours,’’ IRNAquoted Talabani as saying.
In the Iraqi capital Baghdad, a spokeswoman for theUS-led occupation notified reporters that a veryimportant'' announcement will be made at a newsconference scheduled for 3pm (2300 AEDT) but did not saywho would be the speaker. The spokeswoman requestedanonymity. Nasir Chadarchi, a member of the Iraqi GoverningCouncil, said on Al-Arabiya television, I havereceived confirmed news about the arrest of Saddam’’.
Nazem Dabbagh, a representative of Talabani’sPatriotic Union of Kurdestan, confirmed Talabani’sstatements when reached by phone today by an AssociatedPress reporter in Tehran.
``We are sure that Saddam has been detained. Detailswill be released later,’’ Dabbagh said.
IRNA said Talabani broke the news to IRNA in the Iraqicity of al-Mundhariya today. The agency filed the reportfrom Qasr-e-Shirin, a town in western Iran borderingIraq.

THEN AT 11:47 AM . . .

Reuters reported Iraqi interim Foreign MinisterHoshiyar Zebari as saying US forces appeared to havearrested a very important'' person in Tikrit. It appears the Americans have arrested a veryimportant and wanted person in Tikrit,’’ Zebari toldDubai-based Al Arabiya television by telephone fromParis.

THEN AT 11:49 AM. . .

DPA news agency reported a spokesman for the IraqiNational Council as saying Saddam was wearing a fakewhite beard when he was arrested.
Intifad Qanbar told the Arabic television channelal-Jazeera that the ex-leader underwent DNA testing toconfirm his identity.
``This is a historic moment. You have no idea howhappy I am,’’ Qanbar told al-Jazeera.
The station also quoted a British diplomatic source assaying that someone who looks like Saddam was arrestedin Tikrit.
The US military was still to confirm the arrest…

FALSE WHITE BEARD…OF SHIT, THEY KILLED SANTA!

I’m glad they caught Saddam and now maybe he will pay for his crimes.

However, I’m also very worried that the expectant media carnival and hype will obscure the Haliburton and many other scandals underway - not to mention the regular deaths of US service men abroad …

I hope this latest news doesn’t overtake the media -

I guess dead soliders and their unnecessary deaths don’t make headlines or the public conciousness anymore.

It’s official. The DNA test, confirms that it is Saddam, and not one of his comdey double acts!

Report from ‘Sky News’

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1115282,00.html

I thought DNA test results took more than a few hours?

[ …Well that’s what the police told me after my last barring order … :smiley: ]

Only a suspicious mind would think that there’s any relationship between the timing of the capture and Haliburton getting caught with their hand in the cookie jar. Of course, Osama won’t be caught just before the 2004 election either.