Rouge Serret smashes PB with 10.17 - fifth fastest Aussie ever.

should be more of it

Winding air or running in Perth? :slight_smile:

Hows the Stawell gift going, anyway?

Both.

I am not at the Stawell Gift but I do have a certified steel tape measure. An epdm would be more accurate.

sounds like many sprinters/ coaches who haven’t posted fast times are jealous of the times posted in Perth, simple ego-protecting, anyone can find stat’s to support their argument by cherry picking.

no doubt Perth is fast, but everyone wont run a legit PB there.

Maybe they are suggesting there should be more fast tracks, I seem to recall that no athlete has run under 10s in Australia yet can on a regular basis in other countries. Wonder how many of those other countries have indoor tracks built to improve performanc.

I would suggest a windtunnel huilt into the track may have worked.

You cannot do something properly without first experiencing it.

What is it like having sex or having your arm chopped off, there are things in life you have to go through to feel what it is like.

Just harmless dribble.

Actually one of the coaches who has these views has an athlete that recently pb’d in Perth. And the only stats that have been posted on here have been high level stats (not picking and choosing low level ones that appear to support an argument), so I really don’t know what you’re suggesting.

I personally think that another Aussie track that can consistently produce fast times is an exciting prospect, and if correctly managed could help boost the profile of the sport in this country. However it may be a two edged sword; internationally, Australians have a (some might say well deserved) reputation of only being able to run fast domestically and as such can have difficulty getting lanes overseas compared with lesser athletes. One track that can consistently produce fast times may perpetuate, if not exacerbate, this. Similarly, if these times cannot be matched os, particularly at major champs, our own supporter base and media may see this as an easy generalization to make as well.

Let’s hope it’s managed well.

Dazed - Exactly right!

stilljd_5

Maybe they are suggesting there should be more fast tracks, I seem to recall that no athlete has run under 10s in Australia yet can on a regular basis in other countries. Wonder how many of those other countries have indoor tracks built to improve performanc.

We finally agree on something :slight_smile: :cool:

I heard Perth are bringing in the smartest guys in Stawell, you know … the guys who measured the track at Central Park, so that’ll sort out all of Perth’s issues. So much for a fast track. None of that chaps. Every track race from now on will be at least 3.2 metres per 100m too long. OK so the 400m is … (4 x 2.3m = 9.2) … now going to be contested over 409.2m. Don’t complain though, you may not qualify for the Commonwealth Games but you can make a claim for a world record at the new official distance. Ditto for the Stay Well gift. They can claim another world professional record for the official, though rarely run distance of 123.2m. Sorry Youngy but really … what a joke

I can think of an athlete you coached back in the day who has made a nearly identical claim (among others :rolleyes: ). Pretty funny stuff. :slight_smile:

I know plenty of athletes who have been to Perth and not run PB’s- no doubt the track is good but you have to be good shape to make the most of the conditions.

From memory PJ ran 9.91,9.88 windy on the old perth track and still ran fast over seas(9.93 ) - same can be said for Shirvo.

A trip to Perth doesn’t = Pb, when you factor travel from the East Coast ( 14 hrs both ways ) and adjustment in time zones- etc athletes really sacrifice 5 days of training to race there and take a financial hit. If they do PB congratulations- balance of probabilities most athletes won’t PB there, especially when you consider all the other variables when racing in Perth.

And Perth’s current golden boy Ben Offereins has run his PB (for 400m, that’s his primary distance) on the weathered track in Sydney this year.

most of the times getting the attention is for the 100m, not sure I have come across many breakthrough PBs in the 200 or 400, probably because the favourable tailwind for the 100m means a back straight headwind for the 400m

It that a good or bad thing, I wouldn’t run 400 for quids.:cool:

Not sure about the layout of the new stadium. Are they racing the 100m from west to east (towards the inland). That’s how it used to be at the old track. But I was there in 87 when Ben ran against Allan Wells and they turned it around and Ben won walking to the line in 9.7 hand & windy.

It’s great when officials go to the trouble of turning the 100s around so athletes benefit from the wind on any given day. But it would be much better if the track designers allowed in their plans to run the sprints in either direction.

It would be just as easy to run on the otherside of the track, if anyone breaks an Aust record running in the wrong direction it won’t be recognised. The IAAF rules say curbing on the left in lane one.

Sometimes the attitude who cares comes to mind.:slight_smile:

… curbing on the left in lane one is…what?

Not with you. “Curbing on the left in lane one” - is OK? Not OK? Why only in lane one?

Why do I have the feeling I’m going to regret engaging here :o

All good mate,

IAAF rules say clockwise with curbing on the left, no ,more than 9 complete lanes in 400m track as many as you like in a straight, curbing to be on the left in lane 1. Can’t be bothered looking up the IAAF rules and the T&F construction manual for the rule numbers…

You know that AA are now following the rules (about bloody time), from the time you check in to the time you walk off the track you are in their hands, like it or lump it, can’t see why running the wrong way would be any different.

100m at NSW State Champs last weekend:

http://www.runnerstribe.com/event/main/video/id/236825-NSW-Track-and-Field-Championships-2010/vid/322707-NSW-Champs-Men-100-metres

Wind in the opposite direction was only +0.3 (ie -0.3)

Interesting Bankstown Sports has 3 athletes in two different uniforms, guess a couple of rules were broken.

No one was hurt so all is good.