rogue workouts - a new hope...

tuesday - drills, jumps, high step ups. 4x60m slight hill. EMS quads and hams

without going out and doing any new filming or GPS, from what I have observed during races and watching races back that were filmed, I just seem to have a low top speed. I reach a point where I don’t get any faster (or noticeably slower) and that is where I get passed. usually in the 40-60 zone. I suspect some of it is technique and could be corrected relatively quickly.

I might seek out a couple of sessions with a local coach and see what they say…

From what I saw front, you know where I was located. Try increasing stride length. I havent read your diary but will suggest bounding, I will always remember Keith Connor saying “even if you on only use them in a warm up do not stop bounding”.

I think Charlie used hills, Gianna uses hills. I use the cord and pulley system.Tony Fairweather used really long bungi cords and from memory Josh Ross was pretty successful. Who knows how fast he could be if his starts were tweaked a little.

The best can maintain for 8 seconds, the more repetitions the less the time. You are using fuel at too fast a rate.

So bounding up hill. Probably with a sled, a weighted vest and a bungee cord. :wink:

I’ll add them in to my routine…

Why not downhill

with a parachute…

I wouldnt, downhill increases stride length, parachute (resistance) decreases stride length. One would cut out the other.

Looking at your avator I recon I have a drill that may help. Next time we catch up I will run you through it.

Not if I put it in the front… :wink:

Does it have anything to do with a disabled rodent??

Nothing at all, more about stride length and increasing leg speed called Locomotion.

I had a very unusual experience with my ankle on wednesday. I was sitting around quietly minding my own business when I innocently stretched my legs out and flexed my ankle. there was a loud crunching noise and all of a sudden I was in excruciating pain. for about 3 hours I could barely walk and was starting to wonder if I had somehow done some serious damage. later that evening I was coming inside after feeding the cats and there was another loud cracking sound from my ankle. I felt a flood of cold sensation rush into my body and for several minutes my chest and neck were clenched while my hands shook and my teeth chattered. after that … my ankle felt fine.

weird. :stuck_out_tongue:

thursday
-SL hip thrust, 1:10, 1:10 20kg
-back extension, 2:20, 1:20 20kg
-EMS quads and hams

skipped squats due to still feeling suspicious about my ankle…

Underlying lower leg tension putting strain on ankle joint.
2nd time add in shock

Bloody boofhead wrong journal

it’s been quite a while since I posted anything, but I have some video footage from yesterday’s session.

http://youtu.be/eAABNS2_apI

any constructive feedback is more than welcome…

I thought the run looked pretty good. The tape moved a bit so its’ hard to see everything.
Your start looks good.
You look loose overall and you look as though you are taking advantage of your start.
I was wondering if you are sinking into the grass a bit? That could be the surface is too soft? The grass looks amazing. If you are doing speed on the grass you have to make sure that you are very loose and very relaxed of the surface will take too much from you.
It would be interesting to see you repeat this type of run soon on a track. Is that possible?

Thanks for the reply. :slight_smile:

I’ll see what I can do. Getting someone to film it might be the tricky part.

One thing I wanted to see was how much give I have in my ankles, but I found that running on the grass made it impossible to tell.

I had a couple of races filmed last night, but they were on grass as well…

Excellent drive phase and nice smooth upright running. Looking effortless

this is from last night (lane 1):

http://youtu.be/BRihJkazNbw

acceleration to 20m was good, but I was over-run from there to finish second.
story of my life.

any suggestions as to the effect on the time by running on grass as opposed to track??

Saturday
30, 40, 40, 30, 30
Weights

Sun-mon
Light uper body exercises, core and mobility

Tuesday
5x30/30
Weights

Wed-fri
Light upper body exercises, core and mobility

Saturday
3x40
Weights

I’ve been sticking to a high/low/low pattern of training for a while now, rather than a weekly schedule. I made an exception this week as school went back and I had low energy.

I started out doing 20’s, then 30’s, now I’m pushing it out to 40. This kind of makes sense when I think about the way my recent races go. I’ve been doing my training over 30m distances, so of course that would be a clear strength.

To remedy that I’m now doing more flying runs, starting last tuesday.

I’ve scaled back the weights to a small amount of unilateral movements. I’m making a big push to improve my mobility, so I don’t want to stiffen myself up with too much strength work…