rogue trainer...

Perhaps you don’t weigh enough HB!!!

Unless it’s an important championship race, I think it would be more beneficial to train with the wind than race against it. I always used to check the weather forecast, and if conditions were not going to be favourable I’d schedule a training session instead of the race.

Sincerely,
Robin.

ok, that’s a good suggestion. but what if it is an important championship race? what do you think is the best approach to running into the wind??

Make sure you come up slowly and gradually over the first 30-40m. Apart from that, try not to worry too much about the wind and just run your normal race.

yeah, that’s pretty much the conclusion I am have been drawing, myself. pretty much that the best headwind technique is the same as the best tailwind technique.

thanks for confirming this for me… :slight_smile:

monday
speed, session 1
drills
8x30m strides
3xflying 20
weights, session 2
step up’s 2:10 20kg
rev lunges 2:10 20kg
rev step up’s 2:10 20kg
glute exercises

been feeling a bit flat lately and had a headache for most of today. got to try and get my sleep back on schedule.

was in a rush this morning so didn’t tape my shins. I regret that now as they flared up a bit. however, I am finding that the ankle rotations seem to be gradually improving my stability through that area…

tuesday
tempo
8x30m strides
2x300m, barefoot
core
lying knee raises
reverse hypers
lateral leg raises
shin watch
not too bad today, considering yesterday. light warm up rub prior to training and a massage afterwards, including the arch of the foot. running tempo on grass so didn’t use tape. felt good.

it’s interesting to note that I felt stronger at the end of my 300’s than I did in the 250’s the other day…

thursday
weights
deadlift 3:10 30kg, 3:3 50kg
single leg extension 2:3 40kg

been a bit under the weather for the last few days, so I have taken it pretty easy today. got a few aches and pains that are just as a result of the bug. I hope to be close to 100% by saturday, and certainly by wednesday when I have another pro’s meet…

monday
tempo
3x3x100m
shin watch
basically perfect, as you’d expect after a week off my feet. I’ll still do a bit of a foot massage tonight, though.

first track session since I’ve been sick, so I didn’t go too hard. got a couple of races on wednesday night, so got to make sure I’m nice and loose for that…

wednesday
VAL
70m (-5.5): 3rd/5, 8.565s
120m (-7.5): 6th/6, 14.395s (slight headwind)

thurs-mon
rest and hamstring treatment

tuesday
assorted lunges

ok, so I was pretty sick for about a week, but I decided to run anyway. the more I race the more my handicap goes out, so I’m trying to get as many starts under my belt so I can get competitive asap. the track was pretty ordinary, though. uphill, grass, and with sandy patches along it. for the 120 I had a great big sandtrap right where my first step landed, so that wasn’t too great. :rolleyes:

still, despite my poor prep and feeling pretty ordinary at the time, I think I went kinda ok. the times weren’t nearly as slow as I expected, so that was a big plus. I pulled up a bit tight for a couple of days, though. missed a few races on saturday as a result, but that’s ok. feeling pretty dern good now. :slight_smile:

this week I’ll do some slow races on saturday (for points :rolleyes:), then race at my home VAL meet on the sunday. I have a 70 and a 100 lined up with 6 and 6.75 as my handicaps. I might have thought that there would be a bigger difference in those, but never mind. should be fun… :smiley:

There’s a 90m on tonight at Knox if you’re up for it
(First race)

SB:)

I was considering that it might be a good idea to come along tonight. 90m isn’t too bad a distance to start off at.

will you be in it??

I’ll see how i warm up - i will if i can

wednesday
further hamstring treatment

thursday
warm up
barefoot strides (50-80%)
10x30m
3x60m
speed
layered accels
1x40m, 1x50m, 1x60m
shin watch
feeling good. the break has really helped them. also, I think my shoes have been contributing to them as well. I seem to only have one pair of shoes that doesn’t aggravate my shin problem and they are my work shoes! I tried wearing spikes with no socks today and I think it went ok.

felt pretty good on the track today. didn’t push myself too hard and concentrated mainly on relaxation…

northcote, 17/11
70m novice (6m): 8.16s, 5th
100m (6.75m): 11.57s, 6th
maryborough, 1/1
70m novice (6.25m): 8.35s, 4th
120m novice (8m): 14.38s, 5th
girraween, 10/1
60m: 7.77h, 1st
AV round 10
100m: 12.7h, 4th
200m: 27.2h, 5th
4x400m: 4:20.90h, 6th
AV round 11
200m: 26.84s, 3rd, -1.6w

saturday
warm up
440m jog
tempo
2x300m, 70% for 250, 85% for last 50
1x150m, 85% for 60, 70% for 90

a few people have been wondering what’s been going on with me. well, there’s been a bit of good and a bit of not so good. the good has been my 93.25m time of 11.57 on a wet grass track (along with improved hamstring recovery and diminished shin splints). the bad has been sickness and a knee/calf injury sustained on that day. that, along with increased family commitments, have kept me away from the track quite a bit in the last few months, but things are finally starting to head in the right direction for me.

the injury was as a result of a mis-step in my 70m race where I think my hips dropped (possibly due to a soft spot on the track) and my right knee hyper-extended slightly, straining my right calf (inside) and hamstring tendons (outside) around the knee. I had a fair bit of swelling and fluid in the knee for several weeks, but it has mostly settled down to just an occasional twinge.

I now have a few events that I am going to be training for this season. there is the AV final in a couple of weeks, stawell and other pro meets around melbourne, and the australian masters games in feb. I’m planning on doing mostly speed endurance training and strength, with a few speed sessions to sharpen up. I will be using VMA and AV meets as my speed training sessions, really.

anyway, I guess I’m back on track… :slight_smile:

which is good :slight_smile:

thursday
AV
4x100m: 46.75s, 3rd
saturday
upper body/core strength
sunday
lunges/upper body
tuesday
AV
4x100m: ???
wednesday
knox masters
warm up, 3x10m sandpit starts
80m: 10.00h, 1st
300m: 47.9h, 1st
3x10m sandpit starts
4x20m 3pt start

I have found that a couple of nurofen half an hour before I have to run has been making all the difference with my knee. I forgot one on tuesday night and my knee was quite sore. I had one tonight and it was much better.

did some sprinting in the long jump pit tonight. it might be a good way for me to practice my starts without aggravating my shin splints. I have a feeling it is something that will be good if I do it a little, but bad if I do it a lot. I certainly felt pretty good at the start of my 80 tonight, even though I didn’t use blocks.

the 300 was pretty slow because two of us decided that because it was so hot (43degC today) we would just cruise around to the 240 mark and then sprint for home over the last 60…

saturday
AV
100m: 12.7h, 1st, headwind
4x200m: ???
sunday
deadlifts 3x10 30kg
upper body and core
monday
tempo
840m jog warm up
3x300m

a bit of hamstring tightness from last wednesdays session. no great surprise as it was the hardest I’ve gone for quite some time. had a massage on saturday morning which helped to get me onto the track but I took it pretty easy in the race. later on for the 200m I felt much better, and yesterday I felt fantastic in my 300’s. probably the most I’ve enjoyed running for a while, actually.

getting some treatment tomorrow…

wednesday
upper body and core
friday
deadlift 1:10 30kg, 1:6 50kg, 1:3 70kg, 1:1 90kg

the first finals meet has been switched to tuesday night due to predicted temperatures of 43deg, so I have a couple of extra days of prep up my sleeve. in the last few days I’ve had some treatment on my right knee and left hammy and I’m starting to feel much better in those areas.

I’ll be running in the div 1 4x100m relay team and div 2 in the individual 200m. kind of would have preferred a 200m relay and an individual 100m like last season, but oh well…

You’re lucky. Our (East region) finals got cancelled. Do you know if they will allow invitation entries? Mmm, I think I’ll find out, I might drive to Ballarat to compete…