rogue leader...

sunday
sled 10kg, 2x30m
block start, 1x30m
sled 10kg, 1x30m
block start, 1x30m, 1x80m

got the old sled out today. first time in years. I figured it was time to get back on the wagon, so to speak. :wink:
acceleration felt really good, especially in the 15-30m area. first few steps need work, of course.

I’ve been getting a bit of ITBS style soreness outside my left knee. a bit of massage usually makes it feel better for a few minutes, and I’ve also been trying ice and nurofen.
there’s a bit of a niggle in my right butt, as well. carry over from my overly strenuous session last sunday. stoopid…

wednesday
3x200

signed up with my new club tonight. first session with new coach. seems decent. next week he wants to run me over 400, 300, 200, 4x150, 200, 300, 400. I will most likely die.
trained with a 10.6 18yo. seems like a decent kid…

I just signed up yesterday arvo, before the early bird fee ends.
Made sure to nominate for the 60m. :slight_smile:
Thats a total of 5 events for me. Its gunna be a long weekend

sunday
sled 10kg - 2x30m
blocks - 2x40m
back extensions - 2:10 BW

I was rubbish this afternoon. felt like crap from the first step. I kind of feel like my lower extremities still haven’t fuly gotten over wednesday, which sounds crazy. it was the first time I’ve run on a track for a couple of years, though.

bold, I hope you have fun in the 60, but I can guarantee that you won’t beat me. 100%. I’ll put money on it…

What, you not running the 60m?? :slight_smile:

nope. I have to be at work on monday…

wednesday
5x60m

second session at the track. this time there was a group of 5 young speedsters and one old slowpoke knocking out 60m races. I wasn’t too keen on the walk back recovery for this, to be honest. I usually like to give at least 5 minutes between flat out sprints. regardless, it was better than the 40/300/200/4x150/200/300/400 session he foreshadowed last week!

I’ve had a bit of a tight spot in my right glute, but the good news is that it doesn’t seem to be affecting anything once I warm up…

saturday
lunges - various
step up’s - 3:10 BW, 2:10 12.5
reverse hypers - 1:10 26

undecided whether I will run tomorrow. I’ve got a niggle on the upper left calf area that could probably do with a rest. the extra track work from the last couple of weeks has left my lower extremities feeling a bit sore. that said, I am feeling better this week that at the same time last week.

I’ll play it by ear according to how I feel…

sunday
6x150

my ear feels fine…

wednesday
4x150m

coach wanted me to do these at 70%, but it’s kind of my speed day. I ran it hard out to 50m and cruised home to 150. I remember doing similar runs in my first season of training and they seemed to work pretty well for me.

I’m getting a nagging soreness on the outside of my left knee. some days are worse than others, but I’m now getting a little concerned that it’s going to hang around for a while. I’m applying a bit of ice while I type. that seems to have helped it a bit…

I’ve had soreness on the outside of my knee before and I’ve found that it’s usually a result of calf tightness. I found that foam rolling them and endeavoring to release and relax them as much as possible (my calves) yields excellent results.

thursday
SL burgarian squat - 1:6 each 26kg, 3:1 left 52kg
back extensions - 1:10 BW, 1:6 10kg

you may be right about that. I just had a feel around and my left calf does seem as though there may be a bit of deep soreness. I have located general soreness in the quad/itb/hamstring tendon area as well, though. a bit of general massage seems to have helped, along with the ice treatment.

I’ve been feeling really weak coming out of the blocks, especially the first movement, so I’m going to try and get a bit of strength and power back into my left quad.

I was talking to a mate the other day, and he was telling me about some training videos he watched on youtube. in particular he was mentioning the way American Football players yell at each other to get fired up and achieve more in their training. today, my first attempt at lifting 52kg failed. I huffed and I puffed, but I couldn’t blow the house down (I know, I’m as weak as shit!). I then spent a few minutes breathing deeply, pumping my arms and slapping my legs to get things going a bit. my next three attempts lifted it easily.

I’ll have to remember to try to get a bit more animal caveman into my training, rather than just dorky nerd…

There are two kinds of trainers
1 - the accountant
2 - the animal

is anyone ever both? can an accountant learn to become an animal?

I think I should train while I’m watching the footy. that usually makes me pretty mad. whenever my team loses a close match I deal with it by smashing myself with weights until I can hardly move…

sunday
sled, 10kg - 4x30m
block starts - 3x30m

the sled is working for me. I felt more powerful after each rep, then the block starts felt effortless. I’m feeling a bit bunched up, though. I might have to tinker with my settings a little bit before pan pacs…

tuesday
muscle therapy - back and shoulder

wednesday
1x120, 1x80, 1x60 (flat out)

ran really well today. I always run well the day after a lot of therapy (I’m starting to really consider the role of the fascia in the big picture). the 80 felt particularly good.

had a chat with the coach. he is encouraging me to get my own coaching qualifications. I might consider it.

my right butt is still quite sore. it’s not really stopping me from running but it is stopping me from doing a lot of strength work that I would otherwise be doing. I think I will get it looked at in the holidays…

I hope you do get your own coaching qualifications. You train yourself, plus you seem to have really high interest levels in how to put a sensible training program together. You could help a LOT of young athletes!

thanks, T. I will certainly consider it.

saturday
SL bulgarian squat (left only) - 1:5 26kg, 5:1 52kg

I decided to give my right leg a break this weekend. I suspect it is the quadratus femoris muscle that is playing up. whatever it is, it’s only leg adduction that it’s used for, so it actually hasn’t really stopped me running, because once I warm up I can’t feel it anymore. however, it is stopping me from doing my strength work, so I want it to get fixed. it has gradually been receding into the background (today I could hardly feel it), so a bit of rest right now might pretty much make it gone.

I’ll be having my first race on tuesday evening. it’s been a while, so I have no idea what sort of time I am going to post. unfortunately, the race will be hand timed, so I still won’t have any idea. it’ll be good to get some competitive action again, though. I’m looking forward to it…

Sorry Rogue

Can someone explain this to me?

PS - be nice to accountants, it pays my way to coach :wink:

I think he means that the accountant style will carefully count and measure every aspect of their training, while the animal just blasts everything as hard as they can…