Rip

Charles R. Poliquin, one of the most influential strength coaches in the world, has unexpectedly passed away at age 57.

The cause of death is currently unknown. The announcement was made in English and French on his Facebook page on the afternoon of Thursday, September 27.

Our condolences to the family of Charles Poliquin

To me, he was one of the two most influential people in the development in coaching. I never met him, nor Charlie, but the things I learned changed what I thought I knew.

I just saw the news on T-Nation. I met Poliquin once in 2000 at a seminar he did on strength training for speed. You really had to meet him in person to appreciate how big his arms were, especially his forearms.

I had someone text me about his passing.

His brother was 28 and father not much over 50 when they both died of heart attacks.

It goes to show each of us that we are here for a good time ( we hope) not a long time.

Congenital heart disease is a nasty genetic issue that I don’t know much about but you would think a guy this fit or strong or both might have been able to insulate himself from his genetics but maybe not.

I’ve asked a friend to write something about him and if he does I will post it here and on cf.com Facebook page.

Tempo runs!!!

Important difference between a genetic disease and a heriditary disposition towards a risk factor like high blood pressure. The possibilities of lifesyle precautions vary according to the specifics.
As RB says run tempo ! Aerobic exercise appears to have the greatest benefit of all exercise variations.

Funny enough, at his seminar I attended I asked him about tempo running, and he didn’t see much benefit to it, or low intensity exercise in general.