Richo's Journal to a Track & Field Pure Athlete

Few Quotes

Bed Time

Anyway i think i have everything setted up how i wanted it to.

It is now 1:09am and i am tired. so i might head off to bed.

Leave any comments you want, even though there isn’t much to comment on…

Goodnight all!

Remember that long jump training and sprint training aren’t much different. If you want to concentrate on long jump, you could simple do 1/2 a sprint workout then work on some jump stuff immediately afterward.

In long jump, the runway and takeoff velocity are VERY important. You want to be able to run fast without a huge effort so you can be under control at takeoff.

Don’t worry about fancy workouts at this point. Just try to get consistent training for a few months.

While sprint training will help your LJ, it seems to me that you have much more of a chance to do something in LJ so I suggest focusing your efforts there.

Can you give us the reason for WS4SB? Just wondering.

I understand that LJ and sprinting are very similar. as long jump you need to run as fast as possible, whilst containing control and a fluid motion.

i wasn’t going to design fancy workouts or a state-of-the-art program because no fancy program can do what a simple program can. it was just going to contain 2 leg weight training days, a couple sprint training days and a couple days down at the pits with some plyo’s thrown in there.

What do you suggest Juggler? how do i focus all my efforts to something that is coming up in only 3 weeks which will dictate whether i jump ever again?? unless i find LJ somewhere after school.

The reason for WS4SB was that i thought i needed strength in order to power up my sprints, and i thught WS4SB was the best option. However, that suggeston was given over at athletes.com. what do you suggest? should i continue or follow a new program? i am open up to suggestions…

Hey man,

Yea I can definately help ya out, just tell me what day the meet is if you know, and how many hours a day and wat time during the day you have to workout and stuff and I can set something up decent for you. Keep in mind 3-4 weeks isnt all that much time to have great improvements but I’m sure I can get you some, mostly in the speed department.

thanks heaps man, much appreicated

okay, the meet is on the 2nd of August.

I can train 7 days a week, and for about an hour or two of an afternoon after 4:30pm. I do not really want to train of a morning as i get up early enough for school. Umm i also am able to use the Long Jump pits at my school during lunch time 4-5x a week.

Anything else you need to know?

So you have lunch for lj
and an hour or 2 in the afternoon?

So just about an hour or 2 a day?

Most of the stuff I do involves a split in the day around an hour early then around another 30min or so atleast a few hours later is that plausible for u?

Also how long have u been lifting, sprinting, jumping

yeah i got lunch and a few hours afterwards.

yeah that is more than alright, cept if it involves outside stuff after 5:30pm, i may be running in the dark but i can manage.

ok, been lifting on-off for bout two years now. ive been doing 100m sprint training since about May, which was serious. but ive done speed work in the past for football. umm i have only just recently got involved in jumping. never took it too serious in the past, but now that i can clear well over 5m, i want to pursue it a little bit.

best of luck richo. keep posting videos, makes it easy for us to critique and advise you… :smiley:

thanks rapsmvp, will try and get videos whenever i can…

As I understand it, your LJ is basically determined by

Speed

Strength

Technique

Unless you have some technical issues that you can quickly correct, you are not going to get much faster in the time alloted. While strength is very trainable, 3 weeks isn’t much time to gain much strength. It seems that technique (along w/ being light and aerodynamically efficient lol) improvement is what will lead to adding that distance.

I have some thoughts on that, but first ask yourself what is keeping you from jumping longer. You may be able to isolate some issues. Are your spikes good for jumping? How consistent is your distance, as in, is your PR a reflection of your true max? etc.

I’m actually kind of tired right now, but I’ll expand on this tomorrow. Since this meet specifically is important to you, I’ll be thinking about quick fixes, rather than a whole GPP, SPP, etc. thing to embark on. Since this meet is the thing, it’s about fixing and peaking to uncork your best jump Aug. 2.

I think my main issue is my technique. i believe this is dragging me down, also hitting the board at top speed whilst maintaining control. so that is something i will have to work on over these couple weeks leading up…

Update

Well Friday i did not do any weights, even though they were planned. but for the first time in ages i wasn’t too worried that i missed them.

Saturday morning i had a game of Aussie Rules for my hometown club. had some fun, did some running. good conditioning.

Saturday night i went out, however i only had 3 drinks. so i didn’t get drunk or anything.

Thoughts

To be honest, i haven’t thought about training or long jump due to stress building up over school assessments. even though i had two weeks to do them, i decided to be lazy and not do them till 2 days before they are due. so right now i am really stress. i don’t even know why i am posting here, i should be doing my work.

However, despite this stress, i will training tomorrow. i am going to try my hardest to knock most of the work of today. i’ll do my best. then its back onto long jump…

Getting that Track & Field Mentality

I know this is a thread inside a thread, but i thought this would be a good topic dicussion for my journal, as i am faced with this alot of the time.

Basically how do i get that T&F mentality? i know this question is very very strange but bare with me.

The reason why i ask is because some days i feel like a T&F star, and some days i feel like a regular bloke. whenever i feel like a star, my training is alot better, i am happier, confident, more active and i get things done. when i feel like a regular dude my workouts are sluggish, i’m sometimes happy, sometimes not and i’m not full of energy.

I want to keep that T&F star state of mind! how do you guys do that? how do i improve my mind to make me feel like a star 24/7? i know this question is vague and can be seen as going against certain people’s beliefs but this is how i feel atm.

thanks in advance

Lack of Motivation

Heck, you could even say no motivation!!

I am suppose to be following this little program popequique has devised for me. don’t get me wrong, it is a excellent program, its not the program that is causing the motivational lost, it is me.

this morning i went out to do 30m, and i couldn’t even be bothered to go 100%. i was suppose to do 3reps x 3sets, but i only did 1 set and 1 rep on the 2nd set and i just went “F**k it!” and walked home.

then just before i was going to start doing SLJ, VJ and RJ i was called over to the house to do housework. then when i started cleaning i had no intentions of going back out.

i think something is wrong, i have a feeling it is stress building up. because just before i went out to do ym 30m sprints, i could not find one of my sprinting socks and i feared the dogs chewed it up, so i was rushing all over the house and backyard and side yard until i found it, curled up and sopping wet. and i knew the dogs did it. and this is the day after i found out the dogs had taken one of my new spikes away. then the dogs went and messed up my home gym by ripping up papers and books (old stuff) and just making a complete mess. and i can’t be bothered cleaning it. then i think the housework was an add on.

i also go back to school tomorrow and i have a lot of homework and assessments due. i should of done these earlier but i decided to be lazy.

i really want to get my motivation back, can anyone help me, please!!

Richo,

Motivation is a personal issue, especially in track motivation is very important, if you cant go out there and give it your best then there is no point to going out at all.

For me I think of motivation as part of the feedback loop of training. Everytime I go out I go out to do my best, every race even if I’m running against a 10.5 sprinter or 24’ long jumper I still try my best to win. You really need to get that confidence and motivation and for different people it comes from different places. I feel if I go into the weightroom or the track and take it easy then I will be less confident the next time and then motivation goes down, so if I’m havin a bad day or am a little tired I tell myself that it is not acceptable and that if I want to be competitive I cant have that attitude, I’ll visualize one of my competitors training harder and trying to better me. You just got to find that thing to get passionate about when no one else is watching, when its pooring down raining or snowing, you just gotta find that thing in you that makes you want to still get out on that track and give it your best.

Atm i think a big issue is probably confidence. seeing as i am all new to this basically, i don’t know whether i am making steady, noticeable improvements.

I do believe i have lost a little bit of confidence from today’s attempted workouts. it kills me also.

today is turning out to be a slow, stressful and bad day. however, i sent a friend a txt msg and i might be talking to her later on. this will help me relax, open up, get rid of this stress and attitude and just make me feel better.

i sometimes think track and field is for me, you know. then some days i see other people who are way better than me then i lose everything. i then think ‘i just got to work harder’ but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

i really want to pursue long jump as well as i enjoy it very much, but also i like doing 100m and 200m. but i don’t know if i could continue long jump unless it is aviable round my area for those 18+. this meet coming up will determine atm whether i continue jumping for 1 more meet or it all ends.

i feel i can get passioniate (sp) about T&F. but atm i am not seeing myself as a T&F athlete yet. i really need to start to work on building my confidence and start seeing myself as a T&F athlete.

anyway, thanks popequique for that. it has got me thinking and such.

Tuesday
Plyometric Workout

Tuck Jump - 8 . 8 . 8
Ankle Jump - 50 . 50 . 50
Ankling - 15 . 15 . 15 . 15 . 15 . 15

—Notes—

• Tuck Jumps were good. This exercise always gets me keen for more jumping and such.
  • Ankle jumps were different, but also effective.
  • Ankling was new to me, but i found these also to be effective.

Weights Workout

1/4 Squat - 60x6 . 60x6 . 60x6
Weightless Lunge - 30 . 30 . 30
Weightless Leg Raise - 10 . 10 . 10 . 10
Single-Leg Weightless Calf Raise - 16 . 16 . 10 . 15

—Notes—

• For the 1/4 Squat, i discovered some pain in my quadricep. possibly only a corkie, so i pushed through this pain. although it did hurt alot.
  • Weightless lunges were the same as 1/4 Squat. i was still hurting from the corkie in my left quadricep.
  • Leg raises were good. really felt it good in my abs. on the descend is when they felt the best.
  • Calf raises were alright. but i did however mix the rep ranges up. nevermind, will mix this if i ever do these again.
  • Overall, not a bad workout. I am coming out of lack of motivation, so i was not fully motivated, but nor was i dreading the workout. i am positive i will be getting my motivation back over the next couple days.

–Side Note–

• I mixed the two days up. Today was meant to be 10 Full Throughs and Bounding, but i mixed the dates up and did tomorrow’s workout today.
  • To fix things, i will today’s meant-to-be workout tomorrow to even things out.
  • Should i do this? this shouldn’t affect Thursday’s training hey? anyway i need the practice of long jumping, so these Full Throughs will be more important than any workout.

Wednesday
Long Jump Practice

Did 10 Jumps

4 Full Sucessful Jumps
-4.50m
-4.63m
-4.56m
-4.65m

2 Near-Sucessful Jumps

4 Fouls

Several Other Jumps were Unsucessful

—Notes—

• Practice was dissappointing. for the only four good jumps i made, they did not even go over 5m :mad:
  • The near-successful jumps was when i jumped before the board.
  • I fouled a few times which made me angry.
  • I did alot of other jumps but i did not follow through as my run-up was off and i wasnt going to hit the board right.
  • Overall, not the best practice out there.

–Side Notes–

• My main problem was speed and hitting the board at top speed. i would either over-step or jump too early. this problem i need to address otherwise if i go to Riverina and over-step or under-step, it is going to be a waste of time!!
  • My run-up seems to be a bother also. i need to find the right length and such.
  • I did not even worry about in-air technique cos i was barely in the air to worry or practice.
  • I need work on hitting the board everytime at 100% top speed and maintain that and have control to focus on technique.
  • I think i should be focusing more on the pits, so i may add in more sessions at the pits as this is bringing me down…