Review: Weights for Speed (One and Two)

i think you’d be at high risk for the meet if it is a high level athele

i think you’d be at high risk for the meet if it is a high level athele

Thank’s for this advice. I will stick to what I know and keep the training intensity/volume as before. So once again it seems that the driver for the peaking is the freshening-up the athlete gets via the maintenance of the weights and the greater emphasis on the other HI elements.

Keep in mind that in athletes of advanced strength preparedness the residual for max strength may last up to 30 days with only minimal stimulatory loads.

I know your guys dont lift heavy loads inseason, I am curious how much strength lose have you found in your athletes primary lifts?

Well this is what I get for pushing for a weight room renovation and then designing one that everyone wants to use :wink:

Yes, the first 4 week block should be pretty easy to figure out. Along with sharing the weight room with 11 other teams, I share my stadium with two soccer teams, so that presents another set of limits which would take us far off topic.

I won’t have to build anything. We have access to what we need. I stashed some of the old equipment in my storage container and the actual weight room s very close as well so we can “borrow” some of what we need.

After week #8 (second 4 week block) the schedule changes and my group can go back to afternoons.

You’re weekly SPP set-up is very similar to what I will have to do next year. Interesting…

Not sure if this germane or not, but at a presentation that I attended Bompa said that Max. St. blocks should not go beyond 8 weeks (3-1-3-1 set-up) in a single phase. He also said that for beginners it would be 4 weeks (3-1). He didn’t think that there was any return to gained by going longer.

Not sure if this germane or not, but at a presentation that I attended Bompa said that Max. St. blocks should not go beyond 8 weeks (3-1-3-1 set-up) in a single phase. He also said that for beginners it would be 4 weeks (3-1). He didn’t think that there was any return to gained by going longe

Is this a case of the use of max strength beyond the advocated 3-1-3-1 becomes a case of diminishing returns and a better means of advancing the speed (say greater emphasis on non-sprinting plyo’s or the sprinting itself) is a more efficient method?

To be honest, I never know; because after the season they go into GPP/restoration and then accumulate back up based on the percentages they used during the season, or adjustments; however, any adjustments tend to be increases rather than decreases.

Charlie,

I have an athlete who with his circumstances is probably best to not lift weights (back and shoulder issues).

Is there anything lost by not including weights in the program, and only doing speed work with minimal plyos?

Involving tapering and peaking, it would seem having a speed and plyo stimulus (2 factor) vs a speed-plyo-weights (3 factor) approach, the 2 factor is easier to control when the peak occurs??

I feel by adding plyos, weights and speed work, my peaking dates are not coming when expected, but often later.

How old is the athlete? Male or female? What is the issue with weights? (I assume max str weights)

22, nfl prospect.

Has strained lower back during season lifting weights. Then in all-star game strained shoulder.

He doesn’t squat big numbers, but says he cleans quite a bit. We can’t clean yet with his shoulder, and we are down to 8 weeks before his pro day.

The back has been resolved through chiropractor, but I am weary to have him squat. He has said he gets tightness after squatting in the past.

OK Maybe he can bench a bit to spread the load around. if he has back issues from the clean, you might need to be careful of plyos as well, so if the bench fits in, i’d use it.

Do you have access to a Belt Squat or Vertimax?

Right now he can tolerate plyos, we are only doing 40-60 fc/wk. He can’t bench with his shoulder either.

We have done some loaded jump squats with 18lb bar with no problems.

So far, his times have improved over 2 weeks. My intuition is to keep with program for the first 4 weeks and reevaluate from there.

OK. Keep an eye on the progress and go from there.

What about a trap bar deadlift to keep strength up?

I believe that it’s far easier to get someone to safely Trap DL big numbers versus safely SQ big numbers. I’ve often thought about this with younger athletes, particularly in season. I know there could be more stress on the posterior chain, but wouldn’t it be an easier way to go?

If his back is that bad, I would stay away from all deadlift variatons.

If the athlete is a beginner / low level (or maybe even intermediate at certain phases) it appears to me that using an upper / lower split may be the most appropriate so you could have

Day 1 Accel / speed, med ball, plyos, lower (squats and supplementary)
Day 2 am Upper weights (bench and supplementary) pm tempo
Day 3 Accel / SE, med ball, plyos, (squats and supplementary)
Day 4 am Upper weights (incline bench or military press and supplementary) pm tempo
Day 5 Accel / speed, med ball, plyos, lower (squats and supplementary)
Day 6 am Upper weights (bench and supplementary) pm tempo
Day 7 Rest

Adjust weights volume / intensity as required

Or
Day 1 Accel / speed, med ball, plyos, lower (squats and supplementary)
Day 2 am Upper weights (bench and supplementary) pm tempo
Day 3 Accel / SE, med ball, plyos
Day 4 Rest
Day 5 Accel / speed, med ball, plyos, lower (squats and supplementary)
Day 6 am Upper weights (bench and supplementary) pm tempo
Day 7 Rest

CF talks about using OL’s in a cold weather, outdoor situations to ‘top up’ the CNS but I would think possibly a better option was to increase the volume of med ball and plyos and then reduce those later on, of course you need to be aware of injury but perhaps a better option than Ol’s.

Thoughts?

Good stuff - just got done listening to part one again… Part 2 and 3 next.