Rest interval between tempo runs

Hi, I would like to ask a question bear on rest between tempo. Lets say we do 7x300m about 70% of maximum. What wold be the rest interval? I remember Charlie saying that Ben ran 7x300m in 48s with rest 100m walk… thats mean 2min? or more rest? Angela can you help me with this? :slight_smile:

I think there might be two options. Either you are going to go with adequate pace so you can keep the 2min. recovery so you can finish in the pace you have started or stick to 70% and manage the length of the recovery.

don’t forget what tempo actually is. its used by most as a active recovery day and cf used up to 2000m on the big circuit. finish the pace you start with and take it from there

REST BETWEEN TEMPO

1. First you have to work to successfully build to volumes of tempo that are designed to keep your muscles “flushed”. Generally speaking most 200m runners and below which includes 100m and 110 m hurdlers, we used the rough volume of 2000m performed up to 3 x per week)

2. When an athlete is running smoothly and consistent speeds throughout the tempo session, reducing the rest intervals makes sense. ( speed up the walk, shortest the distance)

3. Some coaches prefer to ‘throw’ their athlete into the tempo with harsh recovery times and ‘see’ how they do. The issue I might have with this is how you wish your athlete to practice relaxed running. Pushing your athlete or pushing yourself is fine except it negates the idea of how important quality is FIRST. Always practice quality. When quality of a skill has been accomplished then you can start to work towards efficient recovery.

4. Low intensity work IS NOT valued in today’s training ideal IMHO.

-(Definition of Low Intensity = circulatory and active recovery.

• speed enhancement through the effect of increased capillary density 9 i.e. heating of muscle motor neurons, lowering electrical resistance). Therefore, the motor neurons take on characteristics of white fibre.)
  • Enhances ability to maintain warm up for prolonged intervals during speed training.
  • Increased capillary density slows blood flow though tissue allowing more time for nutrient transfer ( with each cell) and waste removal.

This was a post from Charlie: Training and competition are different. No one can argue that Ben did S-to-l yet in the beginning of indoors in 1987 and 1988 he had to translate power into an effective start. In his first race in 87 he was left in the blocks and same in 88 (even though his first two races were wrs over 50y, he had to come from well behind.)
Bolt does considerable heavy sled work early on like Asafa and if you note on my graphs (you WILL find Ben’s triple periodized plan from 1987 in several of my products), you will see that my definition of planning direction is based solely on the consideration of high intensity elements within any program.
Ben also did 7 x 300 in 45 with 100m break, which is not easy but again is not high intensity.
Bolt doing 38 in a 300 folowed by 180, 150, regardless of how tough the combo is, will still fall under the catagory of low intensity work for him IMO.
Bolt opens up with a 400m in ,for him, a pedestrian time- look at the film for confirmation.
Ben could have opened with a 400 as well (he even did once and won the Ontario junior 400 indoor looking over his shoulder the whole way only because he showed up late for the 50m! He was never late again!) but that didn’t change the training approach overall.

One of Bolt workouts: 6x180m without starting blocks in 20"5 with 8min rest.

PJ comments on this 6x180 session > This 180m workout was described as “moderate tempo” by the coach, i guess it is mid way between extensive and intensive tempo. I would tend to think it is extensive due to the quite long rest (8min).

Point is - sometimes you can take longer rest and still work ext tempo… For example 7x200 rest 4mins.

Point is - sometimes you can take longer rest and still work ext tempo… For example 7x200 rest 4mins.[/QUOTE]

[b]I think a variety of ways to perform tempo is a very good idea. More rest, less rest and a combination of how ever you can create the needed heat and sweat and flush.

The more tight I was from a session the harder it would be to run and then it made sense to shorten rest to keep moving. [/b]

And the recipe idea should always be consumed and performed with the idea of let’s wait and see how it goes and maybe it works or maybe we adjust.

[b]I think a variety of ways to perform tempo is a very good idea. More rest, less rest and a combination of how ever you can create the needed heat and sweat and flush.

The more tight I was from a session the harder it would be to run and then it made sense to shorten rest to keep moving. [/b][/QUOTE]

That’s what I did this past block. I was really tight from my previous speed sessions, I decreased the rest to 30sec. This block I will be using longer rest intervals similar to Bolts sessions. Starting out this week at 4x200 rest 4mins on the track.

wk 1-2: 4x200 r 4m
wk 3-4: 5x200 r 4m
wk 5-6: 6x200 r 4m
wk 7-8: 300-300-250-200-200 r 6-8m