Resistance Skating

I saw it brought up in my other thread, and I think as a whole it might be easier to deal with it in it’s own thread. But what would the benefits be in using a parachute/sled/weight vest to train skating, and what would be the disadvantages. Also, are 1 lb. skate weights useful for developing better skating or do they ruin your stride like powerskating instructors would have us believe?

not sure if this helps but a friend of mine a bunch of years back used to practice with 1lb skate weights , when he took them off after like two weeks of use he was a mess for the first while due to the change in weight…maybe they would work if you implemented them for short periods rather than long periods or full practice sessions.

As asd123 suggested resisted skating can be useful if it is used sparingly. If you do a few sprints with resistance, then remove the resistance and do sprints you will feel like you can go faster because you are used to pushing against the added resistance. It is important to not use so much resistance that your skating mechanics change due to the resistance.

Exactly, they seem like they’d really help but if you use them too much your stride gets messed up.

I know the parents and the kids like to skate with a parachute behind them. It makes them think little Johnny is getting his money’s worth at the hockey school. I talked to a few of my clients and they say their legs burn like crazy half way around the rink but I’m not sure if that translates into any improvement at all.

LIke I said in the last post, It creates BENDERS, or skaters that skate with very little knee flexion, and are bent over at the waist.

Used sparingly, and with specific drills sleds (usually an old tire filled with whatever) with harnesses work well. Limit only to first 5-10 strides.
Just like anything else, used correctly will help, used to and beyond fatigue not worth your time.

I think the skate weights are overvalued. They only come into play on the recovery of the stride leg anyway.