Relentless Ambition

There are many different types of medball throws, both high intensity and low intensity. The medball workout download shows a low intensity throws circuit that can be done on a low intensity day. I actually just used it this week in place of tempo because my calves were too sore to do tempo, and it did a fantastic job of giving a full body flushing effect.

At the end of the same download, some explosive throws are shown which could be worked into a high intensity day. Some examples of more explosive throws would be overhead backward throw, squat throw, single hop squat throw, etc.

i’ll buy the medball workout but problem is I don’t know where I could possible do them, oh well i’ll find a place.

Saturday 16 June.

Meet

100m: 11.33 (-0.8) my best time of the run for the season and very close to my PB… adjusted is a 11.27. the coach recorded the race so i’ll be able to see what i did wrong etc.

200m: 22.33 (+0.3) new PB! ive never ran a turn like this. thanks to the advice on running the turn i found here: http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?8505-Running-the-turn
i was actually maybe 1 meter behind the guy who won the race in 21.40 at the end of the turn and then that’s where the distance kept getting bigger between us. however im still not relaxed on the straight…
40m left i started ‘seeing double’ like feeling a bit dizzy, very odd sensation but im so pleased with the new personal best !

We have a new Belgian record on the 400m and also an european season best: 44.56 for K. Borlee !

Congrats on the 200m PB! Glad to hear you ran a nice bend. Sounds like you have the turn figured out…

Well done on the 100, too. Good to see the new warm up is working out for you.

Are we going to get a look at that video??

theres a blurr video of me on facebook, and i have no idea how to download it. also you can just see my last 40m, too bad but from the looks of it my arms still go too far back.

Wednesday 20 June.

Speed/special endurance

3x120m focusing on pushing for the first 30 meters and then run relaxed/sub maximal speed on the straight

3x80m same thing as above

300m - 36.27 that’s a new PB, at practice

Saturday 23 June.

Meet, 400m

50.32 that’s a new personal best.

didn’t go hard enough on the backstretch and second turn, so i had to make up for the lost time on the final straight. i wasn’t as knocked out as 1 month ago when i ran 50.56, so im guessing i can do better.

You’re really kicking goals at the moment. How are things going with the coach??

Nice work! Your 22.3x the other week suggests that 49.x is on the way if you execute correctly. Did anyone get race splits at the 200 /300?

@ hornblower: things are going well now but that’s because ive got a few races to run before i go on holidays. ive got a 100 and 300 coming up this thursday, but i’m not sure about the 300 though. isn’t that a bit much considered the 400 i ran yesterday? i want to be fresh on the 100/200 before i leave.

@ t-slow: unfortunately nobody got the race splits. i was certain i could break that 50s barrier, which i will with better execution. oh well that was my last 400m of the season, maybe one left end of september during a decathlon (yes for fun :P)

Monday 25 June.

Acceleration work

6x5 hurdle jumps low/medium height
4x5 hurdle jumps medium height
2x5 hurdle jumps high height

4x20m with 22lbs sled: 3.85 - 3.62 - 3.54 - 3.50
3x40m without sled: did just 1, hip bothering me again. time: 5.59

The 300 is a fun race! It ends just before things start to suck.

It won’t hurt your 400 either. When is your next 100? I doubt the 300 will be excessively stressful, but when is your 100?

Wednesday 27 June.

Light but long warm up, no A’s skipping bounds etc…

3x20m block starts with full recovery

stretching afterwards

Tuesday 28 June.

Meet

100m: 11.07 (+1.4) - new PB after 1 year of stagnation! my drive phase was really good and explosive, i was 2 meters ahead of the 2nd (11.31) at the 30m mark, and there the distance between us stayed the same.
300m: 35.29 - new PB as well. went strong in the first 100 meters and started to slow down on the curve only to re-accelerate on the straight. i had some energy left.

what a beautiful day! the conditions were really good too, maybe a bit too hot but overall so happy with the times!

Fantastic stuff!

Now that you’re smashing pb’s all over, is this the bit where you need to cool it a bit to avoid a potential injury??

Fantastic stuff!

Now that you’re smashing pb’s all over, is this the bit where you need to cool it a bit to avoid a potential injury??

Damn man, great stuff! Not that I need to tell you but you’re only 7 one hundredths away from the magical 10.XX mark. That’s fantastic.

Monday 2 July.

Block work

• Hip mobility over hurdles (my mobility has greatly increased!)

• 6x3 hurdle jumps

• 4x block starts over 10-30m

i’m way more explosive out of the blocks and the first steps compared to few weeks ago. my heel on the 2nd step should be lower though, but I don’t have to focus on that right now.
my coach video taped some of the runs and hopefully i’ll be able to post them here.

and thank you all for your comments on here. that really motivates me!

Congrats on the 100m PB! What happened to the 250+100 runs your coach had you doing? Did they disappear a couple of weeks ago, right before you ran PB’s in the 200 and 100?

i can’t even remember when was the last time I had a 250+150 workout, maybe like 1 month ago and that’s when my times were in the 11.35 - 22.60 range so i think stopping these workouts have had a positive impact on my speed.
he said it’s competition period now and he might do that workout once in a while to see how our fitness is doing.