RB34 Training Journal

10-16-16
Hrv: 81
Daily change +6.6
Readiness 3 - Red
Resting HR 58

My body is in a heightened state of recovery and has turned down sympathetic activity and shifted into a deep parasympathetic state. Yesterday was a blessing with the off day!!!

What are you getting your degree in? I found grad school easier than under

Monday:
Warmup A
Abs x100
4x5x100 45/3-4
Ringo x12

Week 1:
Monday:
Warmup W
8x60m buildups 80% 2m
Squat 3x10
Bench press 3x10
Db walking lunge 3x10
1a: Hip thrust 3x10
1b: Dips 3x10
2a: Bar shrugs 3x10
2b: 4 way neck 2x15

I’ll make regular posting once i start track and field training late spring.

The earlier work did a great job getting me ready for this phase. Usually the high rep squats and lunges would have my legs on fire - not today. Still have 4 more months of prep before i get into serious track work.

Mod Warmup W: (set W) Jog-Skip 800m; Static Flexibility Series; Dynamic Flexibility A/C 1x10
Sprint Drills A 1x20m; Buildup 2-3x30

Nice to see this log back up. I finally gave in and bought the bioforce HRV with the finger sensor. I just wasn’t too impressed with the ithlete and didn’t want to pay a subscription service.

Tuesday:
Cardio choice+Dynamic series B/D x10
Bodybuilding circuits B/D: 2x10
Hurdle mobility x10

B:
Bar curls
1 1/4 pushdowns
Single leg curls
Hammer curls
Ab/Ad
Lat raises

D:
Peterson stepups
Rows
Hypers
Rear raises
Hang kneeups
Rotational side crunches

The main purpose of these circuits is to increase work capacity and also to help improve recovery.

Typical Mon/Tue menu: Bake chicken, black beans, quinoa, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots.

How’s the bioforce treating you?

It’s far more simple than the other brands (Ithlete and Omegawave). With the finger sensor I don’t have to waste so much time syncing with the phone and wearing a strap to bed. Joel really does put a lot of work into giving usable information to this product. I just now started using it again so I’ll probably start logging in my workouts soon. Over the next few months I’m going to see how this compares with my T:C ratio scores that I get every couple of weeks.

Looks like you still have great general fitness!

Thursday:
Warmup A
400 The easy way: Stride-Jog-Stride-Walk 80% x4
Mid thigh pull 2x5
Counter move shrug 2x5
Good morning 3x10
Pullups 3x10
Glute ham 3x10

I’m not a huge fan of olympic lifts. I have decided over the next 4 months I will experiment with various pulls from different positions/angles. Nice quick training session today.

Gonna do my third hard lifting day on Friday and circuits early Saturday morning, I want to take my son to the mountains on Saturday.

Mod Warmup A: (set A) Jog-Skip 800m; Static Flexibility Series; Dynamic Flexibility A/C 1x10
Sprint Drills B 1x20m

Warmup A is very similar to the others without the buildups and sprint drills. Instead of sprint drills I will perform more hip mobility type of work (lunge walk, drop lunges, carioca series etc).

I still have a long road back… I’m thinking about adding some pickup basketball or simple agility drills once or twice a week just to work on basic movement, coordination, and overall athleticism. After three years things seem to disappear… It’s been about 8 weeks since I have used bioforce, I will probably start back next week. It’s hard sometimes because of my son early morning wake up times.

I like the OL pulling variations you are using, are you using the double knee bend (knees forward) when doing the mid thigh pull? The standard from my time under Stone is that the knee angle should be 125-135 degrees and hip angle should be 145 degrees along with shoulders back behind the bar. I think the most common mistake is when athletes are loading this movement too much to where they can’t hit these angles properly. Most college athletes I train just need 80-100kg to get a proper stimulus like plyos. When they use more weight, they lose technique very easily.

It will be interesting to see how much your son affects your HRV lol. Big props to you keeping up with the training.

I had extreme soreness in my hamstrings and lats on Friday. Saturday I took my son to the mountains for a lil adventure. I decided to rest on fri and sat instead of performing circuits etc.

Sunday:
Warmup W
8x100m strides 80% 2m
Podium Trap bar deadlift 3x10
Rdl 3x10
Db Incline (pause) 3x10
1b: Db row 3x10
2a: Barbell Shrugs 2x20
2b: 4 way neck 2x20

Second workout performing hip thrust keeping the weight very light and slowly increasing each training session.

He will be 1 yr old in 2 months. The first 3 months my wife was the one getting up with him even in the early stages he only got up 3 times a night and around 4 months he was sleeping from 7pm to 6 or 7 am. We def was blessed in that area because most of our friends had/has issues with their kids sleeping.

Most of my olympic stuff I learned from Gayle Hatch. His thoughts on the double knee bend. From his old site: The mechanical action in the second part of the pull known as the double knee bend or scoop is the result of proper technique and is not a direct conscious act in itself. This action should not be taught. It occurs quite naturally. The athlete has enough problems mastering the correct positions without confusing him with the complexity of the double knee bend. The majority of coaches who endeavor to teach the double knee bend fail. To teach this action will result in premature weight transference to the balls of the feet and loss of upward momentum in the phase between the first and second pull. These key points should be kept in mind while executing the pull: phase 1 - leg extension (In the initial pull from the floor, the barbell moves back toward the lifter. This allows a more stable, balanced position from which to exert force), phase 2 - hip extension, phase 3 - jump shrug. Start with feet hip width apart, hips above knees, back flat, shoulders in advance of the bar, arms straight, elbows out. Correct position as bar crosses the knees is extremely important. Leg extension complete, bar over center of feet, back angle constant, arms straight, elbows out, shoulders over bar. At the beginning of the “explosion phase”, the feet are flat, hips extended, arms straight, elbows out. Proper body position at the finish of the pull reflects good technique. Legs and hips extended jump and shrug coordinated. All motion directed up. If the athlete performs other aspects of the movement correctly, then the double knee bend will occur naturally.

The older I get the more I move away from the olympic lifts. To technical and draining for me, I’ll rather use those resources on the track performing things that are more exciting and transfer towards sprinting.

Week 3:
Friday:
Warmup W
12x60m buildups 80% 2m rest
Back squats 3x10
Bench press 3x10
Hip thrust 3x10
Dips 3x10

Decided to drop the walking lunges, shrugs, and 4 way neck. Didn’t have anything else in the tank. Gonna have to reevaluate my back squat goals for this 8 week block, the weight felt like a max effort session - not good at all. I’m hoping the stress outside the gym was the reason why the weight felt so heavy. Bench press actually felt great… Hitting the track early tomm morning…

Saturday:
Warmup A
stride-jog-stride-walk 80% 6x100
Mid thigh pull 2x5
Counter move shrug 2x5
Good morning 3x10
Pullups 3x10
Glute ham 3x10

Sunday:
Warmup W
12x100m stride 80% 2m rest
Podium trap bar deadlift 3x10x124kgs
Rdl 3x10
Hip thrust 3x10
1a: Db incline (pause) 3x10
1b: Db row 3x10
Hanging knee up 2x20

2-28-17
Hrv: 72.2
Daily change na
Readiness 9 - Green
HR: 64.5

3-1-17
Hrv: 61.9
Daily change -10.3
Readiness 7 - Amber
HR: 69

3-2-17
Hrv: 75.6
Daily change +13.7
Readiness 9 - Green
HR: 64.6

Unloading this week then starting my final block of 10’s.

3-3-17
Hrv: 66.1
Daily change -9.5
Readiness 9 - Green
HR: 65.8

3-4-17

Hrv: 76.4
Daily change +10.4
Readiness 10 - Green
HR: 63.9

Completed final unload workout last night. Weekly hrv load is low-green so im ready for next weeks training load… Hopefully my RHR can get into the low 50’s once i get into my track training.

//youtu.be/U1rgr6rumn8

Had to take last week and this week off to focus on March madness… Back at it next week… 80s baby…

March madness is over and I’m ready to start back training. One of the many reasons why I allowed myself 6-9 months to get back into general shape before starting my TF training late spring/early summer because I knew their would be pit stops along the way. Gonna spend the next 4 weeks performing a mini aerobic block follow by a 4 week strength template… After the strength template I’ll take 2-3 days to perform some testing follow by rest… I weighed myself before the training session and I’m down 7lbs in the past 4 weeks 186 to 179.

Week 1:
Tuesday:
Cardio choice 10m+Dym E
Squat 3x10
Rev lunge 3x8
Rdl 3x15
1b: Pull thru 3x15
Cardiac output 30mins (140-155 bpm)