Ray Peat on the nervous system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdLHWFJI2y0

Hey Brett.
Why are you posting this? Did you want to give a review of this? Do you have anything to say about this?
As you may or may not know Charlie was way ahead of his time regarding the CNS and the role it plays in our lives in general as he knew and learned about it as a sprinter and then coach.
Few people understand much regarding the CNS and how the work of the CNS is taxed every second of our day and sprinting is one of the most physically taxing forms of exercise around.
What did you want to tell us about what you learned from the 2 hour You Tube post?

I posted this because there are numerous points and ideas that can be experimented/applied or simply just thought about, in relation to the world of training.

I know from reading a lot of his papers and watching/listening a lot of his videos/podcasts, especially in regards to CO2, Peat seems to be against endurance training, but he has said that sprinting is an okay form of exercise.
Around 48min he goes on to talk about how CO2 and the formation of carbonic acid seem to be protective to the cell. And talks about how this can be taken advantage of for cell repair and regeneration. I think that was really interesting and maybe some applications could be made to recovery.

1:20 he discusses baking soda and gives a few experiences how it can be regenerative to the brain because it can increase the CO2 in the tissue.

Big promoter of CO2, and also emphasizes the importance of salt, especially those with hypo-thyroidism. From what I understand from what I’ve read from him, it’s not just about drinking more water but the salt concentration is of importance as well, partly due to maintaining blood volume during sleep. And that salt at night may often enhance sleep and promotes relaxation.

Nothing specific to training itself but I think there’s some things he brought up worth experimenting, especially in terms of recovery.

It is not allowed in race horses, has been prohibited for over fifteen years. It is an alkali and was used to kill lactic.

Yeah I remember reading this a while back…

http://speedendurance.com/2011/04/21/baking-soda-for-400-800m-races-but-shrinks-tumors/

It is a lactate buffering agent. Sometimes used by 400m people, but frequently makes them throw up in a workout/race. Sodium citrate is supposed to work better.

Baking soda? Not allowed in horses?
I used to drink a disgusting drink after and during training based on a recommendation. It was to rehydrate. Basically it was water and baking soda and something in there for taste which never worked. Apparently if you need a great buffer drink, go into the pediatric area of a store to find what they sell for babies that get dehydrated.

Track and Field has borrowed many good ideas apparently from the horse racing world because it’s a sport that does the research as so much money is at stake.

Lmao, yea I saw that 2 hour and closed the tab. need the cliff notes

Though it must be stated that evidently research has been conducted in every area other than that which also eludes sport coaches- not the least of which is load management.

Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to understand why tendonitis (superficial digital flexor), strained suspensory ligaments, splints, osselets, sesamoid fractures, condylar fractures, synovitis, capsulitis, osteochondral fragments, bucked shins, and pin-firing are common to the horse racing field in volumes far exceeding that occurring in non-racing populations.

No different than the nature of sports injuries in comparison to those in “civilian” society; however, unlike athletes, the horses have no say in the matter.

Thanks for posting, Brett. Wasn’t planning on watching it all but Ray was so captivating that I couldn’t walk away. For all those who didn’t watch or may have missed it, Ray brings up a scientist named Gilbert Ling. He has been doing revolutionary work but has been largely ignored by the scientific community. I highly encourage visiting his site at gilbertling.org if you’re interested in cell physiology.

Before the days of frozen veggies, bi carb was added to the water to stop the veggies from losing colour.

Maybe explains the rise in cancers, how it was put to me.