Radcliffe Prefers Olympic Marathon

LONDON, Sept 19 (AFP) - Paula Radcliffe has said sheis keeping an open mind about what events to target fornext year’s Athens Olympics, but she has admitted aslight preference for the marathon.
The world record holder over the full distance willhave to make up her mind between the 10,000 metres orthe marathon in the next few months.
The British star has enjoyed success at bothdisciplines, having won the European 10,000m crown lastyear before shattering the marathon world record inApril in London.
But she said: I think at the moment it's leaning alittle bit more towards the marathon in the Olympics butI'm keeping my options open. I am hoping to get selected for both events so I canleave the decision a lot later. The training is similarfor both.’’
Radcliffe was forced to pull out of this year’s worldchampionships in Paris due to injury but will compete inthe Great North Run this weekend in Gateshead as sheprepares to challenge for the world half-marathon titlein Portugal next month.
Speaking after being named athlete of the year, shesaid: I've missed a lot of races and I wasn't sure Iwanted to do another marathon until next year. A half marathon is a good way to have a bit of funand race against those girls and learn a bit more aboutthem.
The world half marathon is a world championship atthe end of the day and it's important. I've won it twiceand it's a quality event. Having had the disappointment of missing the worldchampionships on the track it would be nice to end theyear on a positive note.’’