Quote from Eddie Reese

The following quote was taken from a written interview with Eddie Reese,Head Men’s Swimming Coach at University of Texas :

" With the season ending in late March (NCAAs),there’s not much time from April to US National to make alot of physiological changes,so we try to do it from the middle of September to the middle of January.
Weeks 1 and 2 consist of daily w/o’s that include 3000 swim/kick,1000 technique.
Week 3 has daily doses of 4000 aerobic practice/1000 technique.
If we work up gradually the body adjusts better.It may take us longer than some other teams,but when we get there,we seem to stay up at peak performance four to six weeks longer than other teams."

Things I liked in these few words,and found out myself (sometimes the hard way) in my experience:

> Smooth training construction,organization and progression strategies as crucial for success,no matter what others are doing . Shock training strategies only produce unordinate variables leading to shocked faces on the day of the meet.

> Sometimes unapparent but equally critical link between GPP and Peak.

Thoughts?

Pakewi,

I am going to the swim clinic in Andover with Richard Quick and Jack Burele so fire out a question to me if you have one.

My aerobic conditioning is much more intensive than it used to be now, and I find when I shift to speed work I can go much longer than I used to without incurring significant performance drop-offs.

When I say “intensive” aerobic conditioning, I still do much, much less than the average swimmer. It is rare for me to go over 1500 yards (occasionally I do.)

Last week I had come to the end of the scheduled GPP period for the fall season, and I wanted to test myself. I did 5x100 freestyles on the 2:30 interval. I did a 1:23, 1:18, 1:12, 1:08, 1:07. Though that is paltry for a lot of top level swimmers, for me it signals that I have enough aerobic stamina to enter speed training in preparation for the 50’s.

Pakewi,

It was a great clinic! Good things from great coaches.

Here we go:what would Clemson say common successful traits of sprint swimming training-an extremely open quest,or from Jonty Skinner’s words: “the longest running real life experiment in history of sport”-are today?

75% “Tempo” intensities might well be metabolically rather intensive by design and may significantly cotribute to general ("aerobic"and “mixed” ) fitness.My experience seems to confirm the critical importance of an extremely careful and smart management of volumes,rest intervals,and positioning of such sessions in a sprinter’s training plan.