Quickest American footballer

Fastest surely must have been the Bullet? Didn’t they come up with zone defenses because of him?

Originally posted by nightmare4d
[b]

bennett to me is a flat out joy to watch. he admits that hes not a track guy, hes a football player that ran track. too bad hes out for the season…
[/b]

nightmare, Bennet has a chance to play. He is going through some sort of experimental EMS therapy and hopes to back by the midpoint of the season. Maybe I just believe this because I’m a diehard Vikings fan, but I still have hope.

this is for terminator2
maybe some that are more knowledable about this event can definetly correct the mistakes of my understanding of these events
from what i understand that when h. walker was the big stud at georgia he was hanging at the track/field (in alabama or georgia?)
and bo jackson, then just in high school was around on the field. someone told walker that this kid Jackson was fast so he agreed to race him in the hundred,saying no way a kid can beat me, and apparently Jackson dusted him.
again these probably arnt precise details.
myth or truth, ive heard arguements for both, but its a good story anyway.

thanks athlete:D

Somewhere in my files is a game in the Silverdome of the Raiders and Lions. Barry versus Bo. Both ran for a hundred billion yards or so. What a display of two very different styles of excellence. But there was no question who the athlete was. Yes, Barry had probably as quick a first two steps as anyone. But after that Bo jumped on the rocket sled. Game over.
Re: Michael Bennet’s “9.90”. I saw that too…dummy graphics guys and announcers. Sheesh.
Of course, betting against Bob Hayes is foolish. I think he’d have left all of the other guys looking at his rump. Darrell Greene TODAY would chew up Moss. Bo versus Herschel? I’d have paid to see that. Bo would be ahead at first. HW would have passed him at the 50 meter mark and then he’d finish 2 or 3 meters ahead.

What the hell did I eat today?..I’m full of piss and vinegar.

well, on nike gridiron .com it says he ran a 4.42 at the combine. and i guess the falcons hand timed him at 4.25

heh 40 times are verryyy suspect, the fastest true 40 ever ran was Ben ran a 4.29 in one of his races, and just to giv u sum perspective, ben johnson got hand timed like vick did, and ran 3.7…

Bob Hayes, possible Allen Rossum who ran a 10 flat in high school. He would have been a much more succesful sprinter then football player… :rolleyes:

I don’t think he will give names, but Charlie had a couple of guys he was training in the NFL that he said were capable of sub 10.

What happened to Darrell Green??? :slight_smile:

gilbert brown? :stuck_out_tongue:

I believe that Rossum is the current holder of the NFL’s fastest man. He blew away the field this year. Darrell Greene has retired but I think was allowed to compete in this year’s NFL fastest man competition and still showed well.

I’m no sprinter or sprint historian, I just find this stuff interesting. But, I would bet that Hershel’s 5 fastest times in the 100 meters are consistently better than Bo’s fastest times. Wasn’t Herschel a member of the 1980 US Olympic 4X100 meter team that did not compete due to the Olympic boycott? If my memory serves, Stanley Floyd was the man back then.

Herschel also gave bobsledding a try.

As much as I like Herschel, I do not think he was one of the top 4 guys for the US in 1980. I think he was barely one of the top collegians.
Regrettably, both Bo and Herschel fall into that great “What if” category when it comes to sprinting.

Interesting point about Herschel as I saw him lose some collegiate meets. So how did he end up on the Olympic team? I was kind of young then so I don’t remember. As I recall, the 4th place finisher in the Olympic trials was usually the alternate for the 100 meters and the 4th member of the 4X100 team. Did Herschel finish 4th at the trials that year? I believe he would have been coming off of his freshman year at UGA, having played one year of football and running track for one collegiate season. Is this right?

i remember a guy, Bates, who finished 3d (200 m) in Barcelona

As I indicated earlier, I’m a huge Herschel fan. But, according to t&f news, Herschel was not in the top ten in the US in 1980. In fact, he was not the fastest AT HIS SCHOOL.
Having said that, Herschel did finish behind Stanley Floyd in a 50 yard dash in which Floyd did 5.22 while Herschel did 5.29.

In terms of quickness I would have to go with Vick.

Here are some vids.

http://www.hokiesports.com/vick/mv2k1.html

http://www.hokiesports.com/vick/multimedia/bc.html

http://www.21cent.net/vick/video.htm

Football players usually are not getting timed coming out of starting blocks, wearing spikes on tracks, don’t forget the difference that makes.

Most people forget that Moss was the M.A.C. conference 200 meter champion. I definitely think it was his long stride personally. Some others to mention: Tim Dwight, Terry Glenn, Joey Gallaway, Santana Moss, Steve Smith. These are all guys of recent. My all time favorite is still Deion. Best story of all time, supposedly he got timed in jeans (he just showed up for a meeting with the cowboys) and ran 4.19 handtime.

don beebe ran a 6.1x FAT in the 55 dash at Chadron State. Some other 6.6 60 meter guys in the NFL are warrick dunn, allen rossum, deangelo hall and ahmad carroll just to name a few. and football was first, track came second. just imgine how fast they could be if they were track only !!