Question on Isos

Thanks for sharing the ‘goals’. :slight_smile:

I was thinking to implement them every day till next monday since I feel almost broken-up of liting… I need some ‘rest’. My back is sore and paintful. I will try iso holds:

1. Squat
  2. Push-Up
  3. Pull-up
  4. SplitSquat
  5. Side Bridge
  6. Good Morning

Then I will start my ‘normal’ training… Thanks for sharing the info guys

You are lifting Rippetoe style ?

My personal suggestions:

1)perform split squats before squats
2)push ups should be from 2 boxes
3) for pull ups, use lat machine, just sub scapulars
4)Side bridge?you can’t reach elongated positions, but still worth for core stability
5) good morning…perform them with back rounded, think about performing a crunch

Yesterday I did the long holds without the vibration platform with one of my soccer teams.

I have to say that I like it less. On the vibration platform you get much looser and even the legs feel fresher.

Not really… swithed to Upper/Lower two months ago. But I also started doing kickboxing and I guess this has to do with my back hurting. I also kicked out standing military press for a while just for being safe, cause my processus spinosus hurts along with SI joint issues. Don’t want to hijack the thread

I also had some lower back issues when I did muay thai intensely. That was the only time.

Could someone please describe how to perform the pullup iso? As I understand it, there is no pulling involved; you are to use the “opposite” muscles to actively push into the largest joint angle, never letting gravity do the work.

Would that mean hanging with straight arms and pushing the scapula down?

Thaanks in advance.

I did it yesterday in top position holding mychin over the bar. I handled it for 40sec then droped down in tremor :slight_smile:

Is anybody experiencing more cramping when doing isos?
My calf has been going nuts during my sleep the past 3 nights, and I drink plenty of water.

Isos reduce blood flow (anticirculatory, like speed work, which requires tempo or equivalent pool or other aerobic activity, which is circulatory)
If you don’t have it- and I don’t care who says you don’t need it- this is the result. Less blood flow will lead to night cramps when the heart rate is down.

Thanks Charlie.

Charlie, I don’t know that theory is sound in that point of view, cause I get blood rush after isos due de-saturation of blood in the muscles. After isos I feel like I got massaged right now and without fatigue (heavy legs) as compared with hig rep work… strange feeling… :slight_smile:

So Duxx, you’ve been trying the isos? What are your feelings so far?

I am able to hold them for longer… hehehe
How does this ‘transfer’ into my squat and clean… I don’t know. But for now, I have to rest from heavy lifting due back issues and sport hernia issues (slight, nothing special, it happens from time to time), and isos fit in pretty good

What’s the duration of your holds? How often? Every day or EOD? How long have you been doing it?

I’ll ask you the same question I’m asking Duxx. How long have you been doing the ISOs and how long do you hold them? When did the cramps show up? (I’m assuming that they showed up after some time and not right away.)

I did them on occasion, EOD or something… nothing especially planned. I did holds for 45secs at start then increased to 1min.
In by no means I am switching to ‘isos camp’, I am just trying to get know the enemy better hehehe

Just yesterday, since I was out of town, I did

1. General warm-up (joint circles)

2. Split Squat for 1min
    rest 2min

3. Split Squat for 1min (other leg)
    rest 1min

4. Push-up hold for 1min
    rest 1min

5. Squat hold for 1min
    rest 1min

6. Good Morning hold 1min
    rest 1min

7. Side bridge hold for 1 min

8. side bridge hold for 1 min

I wanted to do another circle, but was unable… Anyway, I felt strange feeling in my whole body… maybe it is called ‘circulation’ (:)). My back was ‘aligned’ and the back muscles were in ‘tone’. I felt pretty damn warmed up. Maybe this could be used prior tempo work…??? I would definetelly would not use this prior sprints and weights… I don’t buy the story of ‘potentiation’, but anyway I have to experiment.

What do you guys suggest reading? DB Hammer book?

Since February 12th I think, and first 2 weeks were with ARP. I only had cramps this past week, they’re gone for now though.
My holds are always 5minutes. At first I needed breaks to complete some exercises that long (stop the clock, take 3 breaths and go), but now it’s obviously easier.

Only if you want to be completely and utterly confused.

CT’s Theory and Application of Modern Strength and Power Methods would IMHO be a better bet. It talks about incorporating iso’s …just not 5 mins of them. Or for free you could read Kelly’s article I linked on P4.