Question for Charlie regarding warm-up 2

are you saying that you do a different warmup for a race then a workout?

Would 70% 3x3 done smooth and at a depth that provides a stimulus (between half and full) be adequate?

Too low intensity, too many reps.

are you saying that you do a different warmup for a race then a workout?

That would be normally the case, unless you already use a reduced warm-up for training, too, during the competitive phase.

Charlie, I think I saw a sample elsewhere on the site (can’t find it now) where you did give some further recommendations on what type of progression to use after the build-up series at a competition. I, too, am trying to avoid the scenario that others have written of above of having the second event always feeling significantly better than the first one for my athletes.

I guess you would do a number of block starts or what exactly? I understand, as you said, that this will vary from individual to individual but maybe you could offer up an example. Thanks.

1-2x70-80.

If they need to be sharp first time out- warm up in the AM with something easy then meet WU as usual.

What about if you need to be sharp in the heats of a championship taking place in the morning? Apart from waking up early enough, what about the day before? Always bearing in mind the highly individual nature of this issue, of course… Thanks!

You might shift the taper from 4 x 30m starts Thurs, off Fri, compete Sat to off Thurs, starts Fri and comp Sat

OK, that’s good! And what about if travelling is involved the day before the heats and you still want this guy to be sharp there?

If travel is short, which I would assume- try to do it after arrival. If it is longer, you have a problem anyway getting ready for a big first effort the next day

Ideally, I would arrange for the 5-hour travel to be on Thursday (with a shake up afterwards), but it doesn’t depend on me, as the athlete has to make a living, too :slight_smile: Beginning of August I’ll let you know what I chose and how it went… Thanks, Charlie! :cool:

Charlie, if Saturday was a training day, Sunday involved a 3-hour trip and Monday an evening 100/200 m double, how does the following plan look like:

Thursday: the only full session of the week due to a foot problem (3x60s & 2x100s plus weights),
Friday: MB work (static) plus foot treatment,
Saturday: blocks, throws, bench press,
Sunday: travelling,
Monday a.m.: warm up, mobility, abs, etc relatively ‘static’ and
Monday p.m.: 100/200 m

Note: there is an issue with the right foot getting quite sore, so we need to be careful re: volume overall and that’s the reason there was a single full session this week on Thursday.

What about the foot issue? It might be possible to substitute the Sat starts with some explosive med ball throws from your block settings to save wear and tear on the foot for the meet. Place a mat in front of the blocks and throw out while pushing off the blocks and land on the mat without drawing the back foot forward (which would smash your knee into the ground!) If you don’t have a mat, secure the blocks into the grass, otherwise you’ll kill your wrists…

Thanks, Charlie! The foot is getting sore in the arch and it is painful after the session, later on that day and next morning. The nature of this athlete’s work doesn’t help either (standing long hours). After yesterday’s session it was better today, but we still insisted on MB static work, as per your DVD and Minimum jogging/running. Today’s treatment should help more as well along with one anti-inflammatory pill per day for a couple of days now. This makes me believe that he should be able to deal with some acceleration work from blocks tomorrow as the only running part.

I understand the nature of the drill you describe and I actually had in mind to do more volume with Squat Throws on a big mat. From the blocks position though where/how is the MB held? Do you support yourself with the hands ON the ball? I’ve never tried this before…

How does the rest of the plan look like?

I would definitely not do full starts till the meet- why aggrivate it beforehand? The MB drill I describe has the ball held to the chest like a chest pass drill and you drop forward with your feet in the blocks and drive forward, pushing the ball out pretty much horizontally as you leave the blocks, landing flat on the mat. (it looks much like the MB drills launching over the HJ pit in the GPP download

Thanks, Charlie! We tried without a MB first just for the feeling of it and then with a MB -good angle was achieved! Another tool for future reference! :cool:

OK, travelling arrangements are a 6-7 hour bus ride on Friday, which means getting there at around 16:00. What’s next for a good effort Saturday a.m.? Just a shake up or put spikes on? Thursday will be an off day.

A shake out and a few explosive med ball exercises would be good. Make sure you get the athlete up VERY early to make sure they are sharp by the time the event comes up in the AM

Charlie, did you use any MB throws or Jumps in your warm-up routine on comp days? The past couple months I have used over speed starts for example 3-4x10yds before moving on to accels and sprints.

Usually not because most of our races were on the road and carrying a med ball around wasn’t in the plan. Also, the higher the level, the longer potentiation can be held so it wasn’t necessary at the last minute.

I am trying to pull out all tricks for my last two meets. LOL