question about allan wells training

Thanks. I will have to watch the volume on the squats. It’s sort of a shame, because high rep bodyweight squats are great for rehabilitating my posterior tibialis muscle. Still, may be I might include low weight seated calf raises for this muscle. I know that cycling slightly helps the condition as-well.
Yesterday I was able to do “Running A’s” for the first time in over 6 months without pain the next day.

The factor which struck me about Alan Wells training, was not the speed-ball…

It was that he did the bounds allmost every day during some of the training phases. Doing plyometrics 5 days in a row is considered a ‘no-no’ in the so called ‘sports science’ world, but Alan Wells did it.

And as sprinting itself is plyometric, and often done more than one day in a row by many sprinters, then why can’t bounds or hops be done on back to back days? Last year (whilst reading this thread), I learnt that about Alan Wells.

Dan Pfaff would sometimes set up a training week as thus:

Day 1: Acceleration. (max)
Day 2: Top-end speed.
Day 3: Speed endurance.
Day 4: Accell
Day 5: Top-end
Day 6: Speed endurance.
Day 7: Rest.

And thus, an example of how sprints can be done several days in a row. So again, Alan Wells, doing plyometric bounds 5 or more days a week, is not so strange.

It also seems to me, that Alan Wells, was a bit more enthusiastic about the plyometric part of the Bradley and Margoret Wells training methods, than some of his team-mates. Wells was a fomrer long jumper, and took to the bounds like a duck to water. Were his team-mates as consistent and disciplined with that part of the training method? Alan would probably do the bounds in the frigging North Pole if that was his only option.

The irony of the speed-ball, is that whilst a practical alternative for the Wells and Bradley brigade, in the garage den, in the middle of no-where, it’s not so practical for many of us.
A speed-ball is very noisy, which is why allmost every gym (except boxing gyms) don’t have them. Also, I can’t put up a speed-ball in the house where I am living, as I fear it would disturb the whole house and all the neighbours.
They’d complain about the noise.
I’d love to put up a punch bag and a speed-ball which are fun ways to train, just not practical for me. How about any of you?

Also this: when I trained with a boxing club (many moons ago), I was slower than a few of the other boxers on the 1.5 mile ‘warm-up’ run before the circuits. Despite all the speed-ball and punch-bag and basketball, and kung-fu I had been doing. That is untill, I satarted including jogging sessions in my private spare time. After just a few jogging sessions in my local park, I quickly caught up with the other boxers in the running in the next boxing session. It seems that running, is far more spacific to running, than speed-ball. (like every one allready knows.)

So is it Alan Wells ‘out-door’ training and Jim Bradley’s outdoor training that is a little different? They still did the run-thru’s and striding allmost every day, even in the winter. And Alan did all those bounds. This is where the speed is coming from, not that much from the speed-ball.

And what about those ‘chinnies’ done for 6 sets of 100 reps? What kind of impact does that have?

Seems like this thread doesn’t know how to stop.

What was on the menu for tues and thurs??

thx

In comp phase - Tuesdays & Thursdays is generally -

6 x 60’s (2 x 3) OR

2 x 60 and 2 x 80.

Anywhere between 6 to 10 minutes between reps and 20 mins between sets.

These are full out from the gun and hand times kept to monitor progress.

OR maybe 3 to 4 x 50/20/50’s - depends on where everyone is at in their program.

Occasionally - especially in days leading to a major event they are handicapped so the faster athletes have added pressure and something to challenge them.

Leading into a major pro meet - there will be a 120m trial off handicaps such as last Thursday…

By the way an update on Canspeed - he won the $5000 Cranbourne Gift in Victoria two weeks ago, pocketing $2,700. He has won over $4,500 on the pro-running circuit. He’s stopped training at the moment until he can work out how long he is allowed to remain in Australia as he is keen to stay and do a proper winter in the gym and run again next Australian summer.

Goose232,

I understand what you are saying and where you are coming from. It’s like anything until you actually see a squad in action, training on the speedball and watching first hand the transformation in conditioning it is difficult to comprehend how it all works.

I was a sceptic as much anyone but since I did the Bradley (& Wells )type training myself and experienced the difference it made to me and my stablemates (back in 1988), I have been a total convert and wouldn’t change it for anything.

We are fortunate to have access to our own athletic club pavilion where we have 6 speedball wall frames set up and it’s in a parkland away from houses etc, so the noise is not an issue.

It’s really what the athlete can tolerate in combination with the net benefit. I’ve had people who could jump/bound every day and not only remained uninjured, but benefitted from it. On the other hand. I’ve had some who couldn’t tolerate much if any jump type work. It’s a matter of knowing your client.

Goose, I’ve talked to Dan a fair amount and have never heard him advocate a pattern or training such as this. In fact, he keeps it pretty simple and doesn’t vary much from his set template which has been discussed on this forum fairly extensively.

Ok Ahtletics coach, thanks for clarifying. I find that I amlucky enough that I can tolerate hops and jumps many days in a row. I don’t know if that is from my basketball background when I was younger, or the way I do plyo’s or what, but I’m happy about it.:slight_smile:

I was thinking of speed-ball motion with light dumbells / wrist weights, but aparently it is not the same effect. The shoulders tighten up and pump with acid sonner with the weights in hand, and I don’t think that is the exact effect you are recomending with speed-ball.
In the mean time, I am doing weighted push ups with a sand bag on my back, and I do not have access to weight training. I had some weights, but not a power lifting style bench for proper bench pressing.

maybe Goose you expanded the 3 day rollover from Dan’s, but usually the days are not like that…a

That is not at all a DP set-up nor is it his 3 day rollover.

The I simply read a website that was wrong in the information it gave about Bruny Surins’ training methods during the ‘speed build-up’ phase.
I don’t know why some web sites do it, but they do. It was a old piece of information fromabout 6 or 7 years ago, that I read it.

Are you talking about this article?

by Michel Portmann (PHD)
Professor at the department of Kinanthropology at the Université du Québec à Montréal and Bruny’s personal coach.

Can your provide the link?

This ( wrong) 3 day rollover was featured ina an australian sprint presentation by Faccioni.
The common 3 day rollover is more like
power activity
elastic and metabolic emphasis
speed endurance

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:wwh5LTN94nkJ:www.oztrack.com/USA%20Speed%20Presentation%202000.pdf+dan+pfaff+flo-jo+lunge&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShoByG200hmhqIRK30hH6118EUBy849iLX7aJmzptzA-S_2AjKT0n-pWESDLCddaP7NnJEChpRIPXxyRBjqPwk6nlIi3-pIbbydlfO9NzXbzspJM-SgQZYzGNBO29oQvOBhxz8O&sig=AHIEtbSxx4zhDm8kTidNYJMfuO7gH2V1sw

If you scroll dopwn to page 18…

It sais Dan Pfaff. 3 day rotation…

Day 1. Acceleration - Power
Day 2. Top-end speed.
Day 3. Speed endurance.

After that is sais “Rotate these sessions.” Some how I miss-interpreted that to mean: repeat same the next three days.

I remember the web page also featured a little on John Smith & H.S.I club phillosophies, and it said Dan Pfaff used the coaching cue of driving the legs like ‘pistons’ in the early accell phase.
The same article was a mish-mash of various well known coaches. It also said Flo-Jo could do a 150kg lunge.

That’s a substantial misinterpretation bc those are just the high intensity days. He lets the athlete decide how they want to do it. In one of his seminars he said some people with go 1 rest 2 rest 3 rest repeat others might go 2 days of rest, some do all 3 days and then rest a long period (if in a unique situation), etc.

Didn’t Dan, maybe joking, mention that he had one athlete do one 3-day rollover cycle in a month while in Europe?

Wouldn’t surprise me if they actually only did that when they didn’t have a coach around to hound them.

Yep. I think that was with competitions in between the days, though.