pulley overspeed

Even at slightly increased velocities the dynamics are negatively changed due to the supramaximal conditions. The difference in the change would be ‘less’ severe yet still a factor that would not pass my orthopedic cost:benefit. As a result, I, personally, would not expose my athletes to such conditions especially in light of the fact that alternative solutions surely exist, if they’re even justified, at a lesser structural expense.

Even at slightly increased velocities the dynamics are negatively changed due to the supramaximal conditions. The difference in the change would be ‘less’ severe yet still a factor that would not pass my orthopedic cost:benefit. As a result, I, personally, would not expose my athletes to such conditions especially in light of the fact that alternative solutions surely exist, if they’re even justified, at a lesser structural expense.

possibly… i don’t think you could say for sure that with a 1% velocity increase there would be a breaking effect…

not to go off on a tangent but, don’t you do depth jumps from 30" with some 200+ lb. football players? if i am mistaken sorry… but, if so, don’t you think that supramaximal method you are using is slightly risky as well? many many alternatives solutions exist in this realm as well, but these are insanely effective and with proper supervision/feedback/monitoring can be used safely.

peace

From-

Optimal Performance Criteria and Limiting Factors in Sprint Running

Graeme A. Wood, PhD.

New Studies in Athletics 2: 55-63, 1986

page 56-57 from the Over-speed training section-

“Analysis of film data revealeved that a substantial increase in over-ground sprinting speed had been achieved, (the average increase being 0.5 m/sec), and that this was attributable to both increases in stride length and stride rate (the former being the more consistent finding). However, several of the subjects sustained recurrent hamstring injuries during the training period, and, to add insult to injury, the speed benefits were short-lived in that a follow-up analysis four weeks later showed that 70% of the benefit had been lost.

Drop heights used corresponded to strength preparation so no risk there.

More importantly, the point I mean to make is that not only does the braking effect from overspeed pose injury risk via cummulative affect; in addition, the overspeed stimuli negatively disrupts the mechanics of the sprint act itself.

I consider that 0 for 2.

Regarding how minimal the costs may become considering the slightest overspeed stimuli I could not say for certain without a proper motion analysis; yet, I would still be more inclined to investigate alternatives that, at this point, may be more efficient simply from a logistical perspective such as those which do not require apparatus that may not be found in most contest environments.

From-

Optimal Performance Criteria and Limiting Factors in Sprint Running

Graeme A. Wood, PhD.

New Studies in Athletics 2: 55-63, 1986

page 56-57 from the Over-speed training section-

“Analysis of film data revealeved that a substantial increase in over-ground sprinting speed had been achieved, (the average increase being 0.5 m/sec), and that this was attributable to both increases in stride length and stride rate (the former being the more consistent finding). However, several of the subjects sustained recurrent hamstring injuries during the training period, and, to add insult to injury, the speed benefits were short-lived in that a follow-up analysis four weeks later showed that 70% of the benefit had been lost.”

if possible, could you please paste the protocol used?

how many runs did they do, at what distance, with what rest in between, at how many days per week, for how long?

the reason why i ask is, a place i interned at used this pulley method with their top athletes and with hundreds of h.s. athletes and i never saw a hamstring pull…

i’m not blind by bias or anything, i’m just taking the other side for a while in this counter argument… if it has that sort of injury risk as you stated, i would not do them…

Drop heights used corresponded to strength preparation so no risk there.

More importantly, the point I mean to make is that not only does the braking effect from overspeed pose injury risk via cummulative affect; in addition, the overspeed stimuli negatively disrupts the mechanics of the sprint act itself.

I consider that 0 for 2.

Regarding how minimal the costs may become considering the slightest overspeed stimuli I could not say for certain without a proper motion analysis; yet, I would still be more inclined to investigate alternatives that, at this point, may be more efficient simply from a logistical perspective such as those which do not require apparatus that may not be found in most contest environments.

it might be possible for me to take a side view as the athlete passes by today which consists of: 2 before sprints, 2 overspeed sprints… i could then super slow mo them so they all occur at the same time, and we could see the foot strike & COM etc.

most will be lightly towed, only a few (the football guys) will receive a harder tow.

it should be possible to take the video, but if theirs tons of little kids in the batting cages at my facility i won’t be able to do it… hope they aren’t there today :slight_smile:

peace

Have you experimented with flying sprints and/or running with the wind? Both of those can help you acheive a higher than normal max veloctiy and they are probably less likely to negatively affect sprinting mechanics. You probably already know this, but if you do choose to use some kind of overspeed method make sure you/your athletes are fresh otherwise injuries are much more likely to happen obviously.

Not to sidetrack the thread but, James, could you talk more about what criteria you use to determine proper height for depth jumps and also give a general description of when you use them throughout the training year?(I understand that alot of this would probably be individual, but as far as a general idea of when they are used.)

Have you experimented with flying sprints and/or running with the wind? Both of those can help you acheive a higher than normal max veloctiy and they are probably less likely to negatively affect sprinting mechanics. You probably already know this, but if you do choose to use some kind of overspeed method make sure you/your athletes are fresh otherwise injuries are much more likely to happen obviously.

ya of course i do them fresh…

our training facility does not have an outdoor track etc so we must make do with other methods… hence the pulley stuff etc.

i took tons of video today with the overspeed; 4 people who have never done it before, 1 person who has…

i might video tape some more in a bit (they have done it before)…

the side view is nice except for the shadow on the ground, which is kind of annoying, but i can take it out a bit with some editing tricks, so it’s not too bad…

i’ll have the vid up tonight with comparisons of the pre-unassisted sprints, and the overspeed sprints…

everything was taken at the 25 yard mark.

if anyone cares, should be fun

peace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-wJyy2i2eI

EDIT: that thing i used to get out the shadow came out kind of blurry on youtube… bleh!

each run is split screen’d… the left = unassisted, right=overspeed…

i need to put the times from today’s sessions in my notes so eventually i’ll upload them in here.

myself and 2 friends are at the end, there’s no shadow so it’s kind of blurry, but our runs look pretty good as we’ve all done overspeed before…

the most glaring are the inexperienced harder pulls; leaning back and the first kid is slightly overstriding, but he was doing that prior as well.

peace

Practical question, putting aside the research studies and biomechanics talk, can anyone name a single world sprint record holder that has used overspeed to get to that level of performance? If not, why not? The concept has been around for decades.

Practical question, putting aside the research studies and biomechanics talk, can anyone name a single world sprint record holder that has used overspeed to get to that level of performance? If not, why not? The concept has been around for decades.

I remember reading somewhere that dennis mitchell/Jon Drum, i cant remember which one used overspeed training; even on meet days as part of there warmup. Also remember that many top college programs use overspeed training.

At what point in their career did they start using overspeed? On their way up or toward the end? Was it before or after the point in their careers when they ran their best times?