Protien shakes or amino acids tabs

who goes for protien shakes and who goes for amino acid tabs

I take liquid aminos while training session or right afterwards with juice and protein drinks afterwards.

which amino acids do you take during and after?

i take this ones:
http://www.almondi.de/Aminosaeuren::44.html

Aminosäurenprofil (100 mg):
Alanin 3500 mg, L-Arginin 3600 mg, Asparaginsäure 2852 mg, L-Glutaminsäure 5852 mg, L-Glycin 9800 mg, L-Histidin 700 mg, L-Leucin 1452 mg*, L-Hydroxylysin 500 mg, L-Hydroxylproplin 6000 mg, L-Isoleucin 852 mg*, L-Leucin 1452 mg*, L-Lysin 1800g*, L-Methionin 300 mg*, L-Phenylalanin 1152 mg*, L-Prolin 6400 mg, L-Serin 1600 mg, L-Threonin 900 mg*, L-Tyrosin 100 mg, L-Valin 1152 mg** = essentielle Aminosäuren

T-mag/biotest recommend both ie. whey or whey/casein shake and BCAA tabs although the shake is primary. I take just the shake at the moment but may do more research.

I think that both are of benefit. I use primarily whey and micellar proteins for shakes and will start using BCAA’s this week once they arrive; during workouts on training days and spread evenly throughout the day on off days.

I’ve been looking at this for the last 2 yesrs and I do think Aminos have a place.

However … for the muscle protein synthesis requirments though the more i consider it and investigate it the most importnat thing IMO is a casein intake pre-work out.

The time delivery to the cells of the actual aminos is minimal.

Since casein takes upto 8 hours to absorb and the time between pre workout and post workout is 1-2 hours why wouldnt you use whey to make sure post workout blood aminos are at their highest? Taking into account any protein is absorbed slower than normal when exercising.

I like the amino acid powder like Xtend.

True but - that’s pure Casein - and as far as I know that’s 8 hours for full absorbtion isn’t it?

Also the majority of casesin products have whey included that bridge any delay in casein delivery to cells.
And what about food - white meat e.g. chicken afaik will stay in the stomach delivering aminos to the blood stream for up to 4 hours.

I just think a careful interpretation of the supplements should be engaged in.

T-nation have brought on their BCAA supp. and so there is a big increase in BCAA talk - but lets be realistic here - if you are trying to put on muslce won’t you be eatign protein every 3 hours?

I think that Casein is a superior product on the whole.
True Aminos will arrive faster from ingestion to cell delivery - but if casein is ingested thru the day and circulating in the blood stream then why ingest more aminos?

Now perhaps an increase in aminos is needed in some cases - reduced carb intake or periods of high stress etc.

‘True Aminos will arrive faster from ingestion to cell delivery - but if casein is ingested thru the day and circulating in the blood stream then why ingest more aminos?’

Just because more aminos can be utilised after training

Yes, and in some cases aminos can be very important as you know aminos are one of the key soucres of energy for athletes in some instances or bodybuilders during cutting phases.

My point is not that aminos are not important, but that proetin intake thru-out the day is perhaps much more important and that casein, a forgotten protein, has a very imporant role in this.

Thoughts?

Take a slow digesting protein for most of the day and a quick digesting protein before/after training.

A smaller amount of quick digesting pro can also be taken on rising to speed onset of anabolism and make use of high morning testosterone levels, along with the usual (slow) breakast protein. A smaller amount of ‘quick pro’ can also be taken before bed for the nights main growth phase along with your usual ‘slow protein’ for the nights fast.

If you were limited to one or the other ‘slow pro’ is the choice over fast.

And BCAA’s along with/instead of quick protein pre, peri & post wo?

Well BCAAs are in fairly high amounts in Whey protein anyway, but if you have a look at T Nation at the moment they have brought out a BCAA supplement and reckon you should take it as well as the usual Whey. They have several protocols for its use.

Of course they would.

Well yes but I usually take it with a pinch of salt and then do my own research. Not done it yet.

Richard,

I’ve done some - and there is some crazy amount of stuff out there.

Maybe over the weekend if I get a chance I’ll get a few abstracts together for you.

Alot of the research shows very interesting things with Leucine in particular.

However, there are 2 points though with regard to AA or BCAA or EA studies …

Some of the research is based on experiments with obese people, low protein intakes or diabetes suffers, so finding studies relavent to athletes is tricky and this is important of course for us.

The other key factor too is that there is little research into athletes with already good-high intake of proteins.

T-nation/Biotest have some good products.
I like and use Powerdrive and Spike occasionally, however as you rightly suggest one must interpret their reports with a pinch of salt.

Yeh No23 I know the studies are hard to find. They are usually clinical due to funding. The sports supp companies arent as interested in funding research since it is very expensive, isnt legally necessary, may prove them wrong and we buy from them anyway!

Leucine does seem very important but how much more, if any, do we need than what is already in whey? I once questions relating to this about the article ‘solving the postworkout puzzle’ (or similar title) which was written on t-mag and I never got an answer, even after 2 of the moderators replied. It was claimed in the opening part of the article that they knew!