Protein Supplements

Looking for input on the best protein supplemetns out there.

Should protein be taken in the morning or at night?

Also what do you think about a protein bar as a snack between meals?

Cheers
:cool:

Cheers Nightmare -
that would work out cheaper than using isostar , which I’ll save for during training .
Incidently - is 20gms the optimum amount to use when digesting protein ?

there really isnt a majic number, but the university of texas study that spawned endurox r4 ( and then accelerade), indicated that the best (for triggering insulin response post workout) ratio was 4:1. carbs/pro and a serving of r4 has 52carb/13carb.

if you read john berardi’s research, its the bcaa content (more specifcally the L-leucine content) of the protein matrix in relation to the carb content that really controls the insulin release. surge is 2:1 carb/pro and they use d-glucose (with some maltodextrin) and whey protein hydrolysate, and it doesnt list the amino acid profile in the label so you dont know what the L-leucine to carb ratio is.

with all that in mind, when making a “home brew” i would aim for somewhere between with 20gms of protein and 50gms of carbs…just my take on it, others may see it differently.

That’s almost exactly what I was going to ask. When should protein supplementation be taken. I take a protein shake after weight sessions as I think I already mentioned. I also have them at breakfast. Would it be more advantageous for me to take it the evening rather than breakfast?

You guys are probably going to kill me for this, but awhile ago I had picked up Nitro-tech. I’m jsut using it until it’s finished, but what do you think about it?

Looking for input on the best protein supplemetns out there.

coach:

there really isnt 1 best protein supplement, there is only the best one for you or each of your individual athletes. also, there isnt “one best” for any given time of the day.

here is a piece of a protein roundtable chaired by john berardi:

Moving right along to protein types, from what I’ve seen, it would be safe to say that in terms of overall muscle tissue increases and decreases of body fat, casein reigns superior. It’s been shown to accomplish these feats by increasing anabolism to a moderate extent, but even more importantly, decreasing catabolism to a large degree. I’m convinced that the sole reason behind this is simply because of its slow digestion and consequently, absorption rates. It provides a steady, slower paced release of amino acids into the blood stream. Casein is therefore the best protein to use before an overnight fast and for breakfast.

Whey, while having a higher BV (Biological Value), has been outperformed by casein simply because of its fast rate of digestion and absorption. It increases anabolism quickly and to a large extent, but these effects are short lived. In fact, it was shown that although amino acid concentrations increased with whey, oxidation rates also increased, creating a steady state metabolism in which there was no change in overall protein balance. It’s possible, however, that whey could match casein if you were to combine it with some type of low GI carb and a little fat and continually ingest it every two hours. But, that’s a big pain in the ass, as well as the wallet!

That being said, my idea of the perfect type of protein would be a combo of casein and whey. This is because of the fact that whey, while having a greater anabolic response and better BV, lacks the steady absorption rate of casein. Combine the two and pow! you’ve got one hell of a team! What one lacks, the other compliments.

Soy, on the other hand, is for women. Or maybe for men that want to take on the characteristics of women. Soy may have some health benefits, at least for chicks, but for men it could wreak havoc with your endocrine system, increase body fat, cause water retention, and lower Testosterone. For me, that isn’t worth lowering your LDL by a few points. I don’t like soy, as you may have noticed, and I don’t think it has any place in a man’s diet at all!

here is the link to the entire article:

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/proroundtable.htm

clemson

i just fired an email off to GO to see if they are available in the great white north. i dropped your name so hopefully if things workout, you can get a free can or 2 for the reference.:stuck_out_tongue:

www.proteinfactory.com

coach_luc
I have found it helpful to take at least 3 protein shakes per day. Usually morning, after workout and before bed. Simply Protein by EAS is one of my favorite.

O’Brian - I’ve just bought some EAS simply protein at urs and others recomendation - tastes great -
Do you combine it with anything else post workout for better results ?
Bearing in mind I can’t shell out 4 go or surge at the moment unfortunately .

gloop

try mixing one scoop (20gms of protein) of simple (hopefully strawberry) and 2 scoops (50gms) of fruit punch gatorade for your recovery drink. this is what i used for the year i lived in toronto and was on a really tight budget. not as good as surge but still works pretty good.

Clemson,

what in the go shakes, can you give us the nutritional brake down?

looks more like an energy drink than protein shake.

when do you use it, before or after training?

as for protein products has anyone tried anything from beverly? one of their products,ultra-size, contains a blend of milk protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, egg white, hydrolyzed beef plasma. Poliquin has said good things about the product. i think dr serrano help make it.

unfortunatly i don’t think they have a Canadian supplier so i can’t say how good it is.

taken from the go website:

Nutrition Facts -Strawberry-Banana

Serving size 1 container (330ml)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 308
Calories from Fat 36

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 4g
7%
Saturated Fat 3g
15%
Cholesterol 21mg
7%
Sodium 280mg
12%
Potassium 546mg
16%
Total Carbohydrate 50g
18%
Dietary Fiber 3g
12%
Sugars 36g
Protein 20g
40%
Vitamin A35%
Vitamin C35%
Calcium63%
Iron 7%
Vitamin D 35%
Vitamin E 35%
Vitamin K25%
Thiamin25%
Riboflavin35%
Niacin35%
Vitamin B635%
Vitamin B1235%
Folic Acid35%
Biotin35%
Pantothenic Acid35%
Phosphorus63%
Iodine20%
Magnesium30%
Zinc35%
Selenium30%
Manganese30%
Chromium30%
Molybdenum30%

Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Ingredients: Lowfat Milk, Deionized Water, Milk Protein Concentrate, Sucrose, Maltodextrin, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Lactase Enzyme (to break down Lactose), Carrageenan, Lecithin, Food Color (Red #3). Minerals: Calcium Phosphate, Sodium Phosphate, Magnesium Phosphate, Manganese Sulfate, Chromium Chloride, Sodium Molybdate, Zinc Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodide. Vitamins: Sodium Ascorbate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Niacinamide, Biotin, Folic Acid, B12, D3, a-Tocopherol Acetate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin K.

while doing some research to back up zoom’s point about whole food sources of protein, and how they provide us with essential b vitamins, iron, zinc and natural creatine, i came across this article that looked interesting…

"In 1984, Carl Lewis won four gold medals at the Los Angeles Olympics. At the 1991 World Championships in Tokyo, he set a world record of 9.86 seconds for the 100 meters. By the time he retired in 1996, he had bagged nine Olympic gold medals and had written himself indelibly into the list of all-time great athletes.
The secret of his success? Lewis was fueled by a diet of rabbit food. During the crucial training periods for his competitions, Lewis was a vegan, avoiding all animal products in his diet. A hippie? A crank? A limp-wristed, bead-wearing radical? No – he was the fastest man on Earth. That pretty much wraps up the case for whether humans need animal products for a healthy lifestyle, doesn’t it?
Actually, it doesn’t. What about long-term health? Lewis might be quick on his feet, but if he avoids animal products for the rest of his life, won’t he suffer from some deficiency when he’s older, or be more prone to some disease? Anyway, isn’t it natural to eat meat? Isn’t meat an essential part of a healthy diet?
A strong case can be made to answer “no” to all these questions. In a landmark review of the major medical studies on vegetarianism, Tim Key and colleagues at the Imperial Cancer Research Fund’s Cancer Epidemiology Unit in Oxford analyzed an enormous amount of research on vegetarian diets – and found overwhelming evidence of their beneficial health effects. "

any thoughts…?

http://www.homestead.com/dclwolf/vegart1.html

here is the link to the entire article…

is a pretty good protein…seems to be the highest concentration of protein per gram of product…around 90%…

http://www.bioplexnutrition.com

the wpi is really good…mix it with glutamine, creatine, and nestle quik strawberry mix…whew…good eats…or drinks…kinda expensive, but good…

PURE WPI

WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE

Why Protein Isolate? High in BCAAs for lean muscle growth. Supports the body’s immune system. High levels of essential amino acids. No Ace K or aspartame. Natural appetite suppressant.

Pure WPI is nature’s purest and most effective protein for supporting lean miscle gain as well as maintaining overall health and fitness.

Pure, natural WPI is purified using a proprietary process that preserves naturally occurring immune boosters and antioxidants.

Elite Bodybuilders and Fitness Enthusiasts prefer Pure WPI because of its unique benefits as a superior quality protein source.

Product Highlights

90 % Pure Whey Protein Isolate
Microfiltration Technology
Dried at Cold Temperatures
No Sweeteners or Flavors Added
Lactose Free
Carbohydrate Free
Fat Free
Mixes Instantly

Product Benefits

Nature’s Highest Quality Protein
Undenatured Whey Microfractions
Easily Digested
Superior Amino Acid Profile
High Levels of Branched Chain Amino Acids
Provides Maximum Nitrogen Retention
Superior Protein for Lean Muscle Growth
Supports Muscle Repair and Recovery
Boosts Immune System
Natural Antioxidant
Appetite Suppressant

Nutrition Facts

1 Scoop (22.2g) Provides:

Calories

Calories from Fat

Total Fat
0g

Saturated Fat
0g

Cholesterol
0g

Total Carbohydrate
0g

Sugars
0g

Protein
20g

Calcium
97mg

Phosphorus
53mg

Magnesium
17mg

Sodium
35mg

Potassium 126mg

Ingredients

Natural - Pure Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolate.

Vanilla – Pure Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolate, Natural Vanilla flavor & Sucralose.

Chocolate – Pure Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolate, Cocoa powder & Sucralose.

Very Berry – Pure Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolate, Natural and Artificial Strawberry flavor, Natural red beet powder added for coloring & Sucralose.

A couple thoughts…Dorian Yates Approved has been my favorite for about a year now…tasty and DIGESTIBLE and I’m so powerful that I tore off my ***** while having ***.
Speaking of vegans, vegetarians, etc…I was watching TARZAN AND JANEby Disney (I have a 3 & 1/2 year old and a 1 & 1/2 year old); Jane’s Dad was being eaten by a Venus Fly Trap. It got me thinking, if plants can be carnivorous, it seems pretty stupid that we shouldn’t be also…I say this knowing some vegans and vegetarians…in fact some of my best friends are plant-only types:D Seriously, there are some tremendous plant only athletes, but I agree that they risk long term health problems…just look at our teeth: they have incisors for cutting meat, canines for piercing it, bicuspids and molars for grinding various plant substances…if we were meant to only eat plants, we’d have plant-eating teeth like cows.

There was a big debate about athletes and vegetarianism last year on the sportsci.org site. Here are the conclusions. I couldn´t find the URL for the whole article, but I saved it as a MSWord file a way back, and can send it to anyone who really wants to read it, if you post your email. Anyway, here are the conclusions of a lengthy debate, summarised by Chris Forbes-Ewan:

Conclusions
Some aspects of the discussion appear (at least to me) to have been resolved:

• There are several kinds of vegetarianism. Each could have a different effect on strength.

• There appears to be a preponderance of meat-eaters among strength athletes at the elite level. It is unclear whether this preponderance arose from noticeable benefits of meat consumption, a placebo effect of meat consumption, the confounding influence of supplement consumption, or some other cultural effect unrelated to any real benefit to performance.

• The diets of gorillas, chimpanzees and paleolithic humans cannot be relied on to indicate the optimal diet for health and fitness for people generally, or for athletes in strength sports.

• Well-planned vegetarian diets, particularly those including milk and/or eggs, can provide all essential nutrients for good health and for a high level of sports performance.

• The fact that vegetarian diets are associated with improved health outcomes compared to omnivorous diets does not necessarily imply that vegetarian diets are superior for performance in strength sports or any other strength-dependent activities.

• Indeed, in one recent study of resistance training in older males, omnivores had a bigger gain in muscle mass than vegetarians.

• If meat consumption does enhance strength, the mechanism could be increased testosterone synthesis (possibly through intake of saturated fat) or increased storage of creatine phosphate in muscle.

• More research is required!