Principles and basics of advanced training of athletes by Vladimir Issurin

I am just reading ‘Block Periodization: Breakthrough in sport training’ by Vladimir Issurin and I noticed two things.

1. The Content of a book is changed. When the book was in preparation, the content was:

Chapter 1. Basic terms and principles of sport training.
Chapter 2. Training effects.
Chapter 3. Trainability.
Chapter 4. Block Periodization vs. traditional theory.
Chapter 5. Designing the training programs

Now, the content of Block Periodization is

Chapter 1. Block Periodization vs. traditional theory
Chapter 2. The workout: general concepts and structure guidelines
Chapter 3. Microcycles, mesocycles and training stages
Chapter 4. Long-term preparation
Chapter 5. Altitude training

1. There is a announcement of the new forthcoming book by Vladimir Issurin entitled ‘Principles and basics of advanced training of athletes’. The purpose of this second book by Issurin is to provide basic knowledge on general training backgrounds, to summarize up-to-date information on basic concepts of training effects and athletes’ trainability, and to share new knowledge on training design and evaluation in view of the non-traditional periodization concept.

I guess that the first 3 chapters of ‘old content’ of Block Periodization now form a new book… I was hoping to read about this issues in Block Periodization, but now I must wait for the new book. Anyway, the Block Periodization is awesome read and I am preparing a review of it in due course.

What I wanted to ask is when is this second book be aviable and is there more info about it? James?

Duxx, I believe the next book by Dr. Issurin will be available to readers later this year or early next year; and if I remember correctly, Dr. Bondarchuk will also be coming out with additional material around the same time period.

Lastly, Dr. Verkhoshansky, is planning on coming out with a text entitled The Ultimate Supertraining in order to expand upon Supertraining and to rectify the unfortunate situation that has existed for him dating back to the release of Supertraining as well as the Charniga translations.

I will provide dates as soon as I know more.

Sorry, I know him and Siff authored the first versions and then he was dropped from the author list but what are you refering to “unfortunate situation”?

The unfortunate situation is that the information presented in Supertraining is nearly entirely a function of Dr. Verkhoshansky’s findings and Dr. Verkhoshansky has largely been left out of the majority of revenues that the sale of the book has generated; not to mention much of the public accolades that are mistakenly directed towards the late Dr. Siff.

Regarding the Charniga translations of Dr. Verkhoshansky’s work, these were done without his knowledge or consent and, once again, he received no part of the revenues generated.

There is a great deal more to the legality of situation; however, I do not think it is my place to discuss it over an open forum.

When the students (grad) from my faculty were in visit in Italy, they went to visit prof. Verkhoshansky (unfortunally I wasn’t able to take the trip), one of them told me that Yuri said that Siff have ‘stolen’ his material and un-authorized published the material… I don’t know if this is true… but this is simmilar to what is James saying.

What’s the working title for new Bondarchuk book James?

I heard the same from older colleagues at faculty.
Besides that, on one lecture at faculty in Belgrade few years ago, Verkhoshansky also said that many things which are his work and researches, Siff wrote without consultations with him and that he made a lot of mistakes. The outcome is that there are many misunderstandings in Supertraining because of that. That is one of the reasons why he isn’t coauthor with Siff in later editions.
That’s what i heard…

Well then finally we will see the real outcome. I’m looking forward to the Ultimate Edition! I’m sure Dr V will get his accolades this time AND it will be a massive seller.

I-33333,
Are you currently studying at Faculty in Belgrade? Is that you Igor, or am I wrong? :slight_smile:

Yes my friend Mladen, you are correct
(Nema mnogo Difovaca ovde) :slight_smile:

I will call you this week…

Indeed. Let’s count on it!

If it is readable as his last book… well… I guess I won’t re-read Supertraining without Siff’s characteristic critical thinking. This is why I find Issurin a lot more readable and understandable than Verkhoshanski. I ‘tried’ to read his articles and books, but it simply won’t budge :slight_smile:

I am surprised to know this Duxx; especially considering the fact that you are Eastern European.

In retrospect, once I began to read Dr. Verkhoshansky’s work on a regular basis I found that I was able to quickly assimilate the text and, in fact, I recall sometime in 2004 I found myself ‘thinking’ in the same manner that the translated text appears on paper. Of course I was disappointed to learn that the translations were done without the Dr’s consent, however.

None the less, I very much enjoy reviewing the Dr’s articulation of the English language via his website and through our personal correspondence. I’m sure that this is in no small way magnified due to my disinterest in so much of what is published and authored here in the west, however.

Duxx

I don’t have Issurin’s work (yet). Is there much in there that can be related to the training of less qualified athletes?

Be Well!

I haven’t read it in whole, but the most interesting stuff I found in second chapter is the discussion regarding compatibility and sequencing of training modalities which is very interesting and it can be used with more ‘traditional’ (complex-parallel) planning too (begginers, team athletes…). Wait for the review… :slight_smile:

Some of those confused/surprised me. I don’t have the book in front of me but maybe you can list an example in your review.

The terms used can be ‘fuzzy’ and thus it can mean different for you or for me… For example, strength endurance (aerobic), strength endurance (anaerobic)… For me, first may represent medball circle and bodyweight circle with light weight, 10-15reps, and the second may represent complexes where more heavier weight is used, more bLA is accumulated, less reps are used 5-10 (complexes), or 15-20 (straight sets), etc, etc… Thus… you can understand the terms differently based on you own paradigm (should I say it like that).
But anyway, it is interesting… :slight_smile: